Gaming Keyboard/Mouse or PC Game Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should I get? Would a gaming keyboard/mouse or PC Game Controller be best? I will be playing shooter, racing, action, and fighting games. I don't want a steering wheel just yet. I will get into more of racing games at a later time (probably 2 months or so). My budget is about $40 give or take $20.

Thanks.

Solution

I good keyboard and mouse are best for most pc games. But a controller is better for some pc games like fighting and racing games for example. So I would recomend starting with a keyboard and mouse and then saving up some money and getting an xbox 360 controller later on for games where you'd rather use a joystick like racing games.

Also, I wouldn't recommend getting something just because its labeled "gaming" grade. A...

songorocosongo

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I only play shooters, all I can tell u is that mouse & keyboard rule for them. Don't even think about using a controller for shooters because your reflexes are better transferred via the mouse. Just get use to it no matter how much time it takes.

So get both?

skaz

Distinguished

I good keyboard and mouse are best for most pc games. But a controller is better for some pc games like fighting and racing games for example. So I would recomend starting with a keyboard and mouse and then saving up some money and getting an xbox 360 controller later on for games where you'd rather use a joystick like racing games.

Also, I wouldn't recommend getting something just because its labeled "gaming" grade. A good keyboard/mouse doesn't need flashy LEDs and tons of buttons.

If your looking for recommendations I would save up some more money and start with the mouse. The deathadder is a solid choice.
IMG_1118.jpg

Then the keyboard. I personally like mechanical keyboards. But you'll need to do some more research about them in order to find the correct one for you. I use a cherry brown Leopold currently.
IMG_1137.jpg

And for the controller I would recommend the xbox 360 controller. It has solid compatibility with a lot of games on the PC.

Good luck mate.

Solution
man, skaz, getting a desktop keyboard with no numpad when we have laptops coming out with dedicated numpads is just like murder at midday :(

@ OP:
If you're just getting into PC gaming coming from consoles or starting video gaming from scratch,
as said above, most pc games will play well on mouse + keyboard (especially shooters)

depending on fighting game and action game, the d pad on a controller is sometimes superior to WASD, but only for certain key combinations. (41236 type of things for instance) And some role playing action games like oh hell, lets say, devil may cry, those feel a little more natural on a controller, but can be played on a keyboard just as well.

On your budget, I doubt you'll be able to get both gaming keyboard and mouse, since the premiums are rather high. So, I'd go with a nice ergonomic mouse plus some decent keyboard like dell's last gen model (IMO that is the best stock keyboard ever made)

skaz

Distinguished

Yeah, if your keyboard is used during a professional day of heavy excel sheets maybe.

I haven't used the numpad for gaming since everquest when there was a default button on there for auto-run.

amberlewis

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Ya i agree with your suggestion azeem40 An advanced Keyboard/mouse is enough sufficient for a gaming setup..But you say Keyword or mouse i go with Advance keyboard +mouse.

I don't quite understand what you mean. Can you explain?
@ chris: Thanks for your suggestions. I will take a look at them when I am allowed to use the computer. : p

G

Why not? I'm actually curious and would like to know more of your reasoning because I've thought it the other way around. For me, mechanical keyboards may have a large price but spending the money to take the step into mechanical from rubber dome was a HUGE difference and well worth the price. The feel is COMPLETELY different. Mice on the other hand, I've felt that as long as it fit my hand and didn't have a crappy dpi that they had very little benefits from more expensive ones and usually had the same feel(accuracy).

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Why not? I'm actually curious and would like to know more of your reasoning because I've thought it the other way around. For me, mechanical keyboards may have a large price but spending the money to take the step into mechanical from rubber dome was a HUGE difference and well worth the price. The feel is COMPLETELY different. Mice on the other hand, I've felt that as long as it fit my hand and didn't have a crappy dpi that they had very little benefits from more expensive ones and usually had the same feel(accuracy).

My flat-mate has a Logitech G17 keyboard and two of my mates have the Corsair K60 ones, my gaming is by no means enhanced by using their keyboards compared to my 20£ Logitech poop-board. Yes the built quality is better, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

Mice on the other hand:

Battery powered mice (be they gaming grade or non) are completely out of the question - They always run flat at the most annoying moments, they often have latency issues and they are WAY too heavy.

But gaming grade mice in general, have so much better precision that it really makes my accuracy in BF3 for instance, around 50% better than with cheap ones. You have extra buttons for options like; meele attack, reload, autosprint, prone etc. and they don't break down in 6 months like regular cheap mice do when used a lot.

I've learned to stay away from Razer mice, as I find their products nice enough but their build quality way below standard. My current logitech G5 has served me for 3 years now, and I play computer at least 40 hours per week. No cheap generic mouse can stand that, and still feel like it's brand new.

Switching DPI on the fly is really a must for me, cause I tend to play many different classes, and turrets in BF3 respond so slowly.

No ordinary mouse will let you do that, and cheap gaming mice often don't do it well.

This is all just my personal opinion, but I've been gaming on the pc platform for about 20 years now, so I've tried a lot of hardware.

G

Hmm... I guess maybe its because I play more RTS while you FPS? For me, I notice huge delays between key presses with certain keyboards. Just like you with mice, wireless keyboards are out of the question too. Sometimes with dome keyboards like my $20 logitech one, although its compeletely new, when I'm constantly pressing key combos, one press doesn't get registered which compeletely throws me off and sometimes makes me move a vital unit a second too late and lose that and sometimes the whole game cause of it. :/ RTS don't rely on mouse that much so I guess I haven't noticed much because of that.

Thank you for that info on mice! I currently am looking at a gaming mice so that was helpful.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I play some RTS games as well, like the Civilization series, StarCraft2, Shogun 2 and others.

I used to play a lot of WoW as well (5 years and 5 lvl 85 chars with full epexx), which is taxing on the keyboard.

For cramp like mouse clicking, nothing beats DOTA/HoN/LoL

My advice to anyone seeking a new gaming mouse is to switch mice with friends for around a week at a time, and try different brands - 'cause there are differences.

Happy gaming :sol:

Based on the reviews, the Gigabyte mouse seems to be good without having to break the bank.

I bought the Logitech G500 mouse recently because I accidentally dropped my Logitech Performance MX mouse on the floor. It still works fine, but just not as good as before so I decided to switch back to a wired mouse. I bought the G500 because it had a somewhat similar feel to the Performance MX and it has two mouse buttons that allows me to switch DPI settings quickly w/o having to go into Windows to do it. But the G500 isn't cheap; it is currently selling for $63, I think I bought mine for about $50.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318&Tpk=g500

Therefore, I recommend looking at the about Gigabyte mouse because of the many positive reviews and inexpensive price.

The keyboard is a bit tricky. I never bought a keyboard that is meant for games, buying an average wired keyboard should be fine for most people when it comes to playing games. I have a old Saitek Eclipse that works fine for games; it's probably around 5 or 6 years old now. I have been considering mechanical keyboards and many people have commented that certain ones are very good to play games with. The only thing to take into consideration other than the price (compared to an average keyboard) is the fact they make clicking sounds every time you press a key. If you live by yourself, then it's no big deal (unless you don't like your keyboard to make clicking sounds), but if you live with someone else, then they may find a mechanical keyboard to be annoying.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

They must not hear your nightly Pr0n-searching :na:

The Logitech G500 is an awesome mouse imo, and will probably replace my G5 when it eventually dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.