wachadoing

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
I'm thinking about using 2 power supplies that run simultaneously on start up. One power supply will power the motherboard and cd drives, the other power supply will power video cards and hard drives. The problem is, I don't know how to make both power supplies turn on on start up. Please help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Splice the green wires from two power supplies together and they'll both get switched at the same time.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

wachadoing

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
Thanx for replying. Would you suggest a way of splicing both green wires and still keep the clean work. In another word, what kind of connector should I get?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Radio Shack sells in-line splice connectors that are self-tapping, you just clip them on and a little blade cuts through the insulation to clamp on the wire beneath.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

wachadoing

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
I went to Radio Shack and asked for in-line splice and they don't know what I'm talking about. Do it look like the ATX power plug? If not, can you give me the part number so I know what it looks like. Thank you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Radio Shack calls them <A HREF="http://qa.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-3052" target="_new">Wire Tap-Ins</A>. Automotive stores sell them too. You'll need 2 of these and a spare wire to jump a wire between the green wires.

wachadoing

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
Thanks Crashman, for your knowledge and patience. You mentioned above that I needed two wire tap-ins, that means I need to splice 2 more wires other than the green wires. I thought I just need to connect the 2 green wires together and connect to the motherboard. Am I missing something? Ground?

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
No, your not missing anything. The taps are made assuming one wire being spliced together has a free end. By using two taps and one short piece of (spare) wire to go between the two green wires (a jumper cable if you will), you save yourself from having to cut one of the green wires coming from the PSU. This way, should you decide to use the power supplies separately again in the future, you don't have to fumble around trying to resplice the origional connection. You would just need to cut the jumper cable and they're separated.

Jarrett

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
2 taps and 3 wires. 2 of the wires are green, the third wire is a scrap. You connect one green wire to one end of the scrap piece using 1 tap. You connect the second green wire to the other end of the scrap piece using the second tap.

These taps are usually capped on one side, making it impossible to simply clamp the two green wires together, hence the jumper wire, hence the two taps.

wachadoing

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
I'm interested in buying Cooler Master's Stacker, which allows me to use two power supplies. Case also includes a cable that connects 2 power supplies if you decide to run in that configuration. After closely look at the connecting cable of power supplies, I see that the spare power supply is connceted with two wires. I know one is the green wire, which is "on," but what is the other wire?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Just something to think about! I had been interested in getting a redundant power supply. I dont know if it would do what you are wanting to do, but from what I have researched, I think that the redundant PSU would serve you as good if not better. You would have the power of both PSU's, but you would also have added protection in the case of one PSU failing. In this case the other PSU would keep a steady supply of power to the system giving you time to finish what your doing and power down. The only thing is that they tend to be costly. If you are an e-bayer, type in the words redundant power supply. At times they have them much cheaper than you could buy a good set of PSU's for.

Just something to consider!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
With only 2 wires, it's not redundant, it's simply adding more power connectors for drives.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I know that what he is talking about is not redundant. I just was throwing the redundant thing out for him to consider. The only reason that it crossed my mind was that I missed a bid on a new 350W x 2 the other day by 3 dollars. It sold for about $85.00 shipping included.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Either its one of those nights my thinking is suited better for a converation with the wall, or these voices in my head are mixing me up. On that note( The voices) I read an article today that talked about high salt intake causing pyschotic episodes in normal people. I seem to remember that you are somewhat of an expert on tomatoe sandwhiches as well as very knowledgable about the myth surrounding high salt intake! Any thoughts? Im sure somehow this has somthing to do with PSU's. :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've never seen any medical studies on the effects of high dietary sodium on psychosis, but if you have links to any truely official sites, I could look...

The only problem I know of with high sodium diets for otherwise healthy people is that it can put a strain on your kidneys unless you also increase your intake of liquids proportunately.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I'll get the links tomorrow. Im a grad student in Psychology "Hence all the references to the voices in my head". It was in one of the scholarly magazines. I was in the middle of the article when the instructor slung a whopper of a Statistics quiz at us. Needless to say this took my attention away from my readings!