Sign in with
Your question

Pnf files created for non existing hardware

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2010 7:19:26 PM

I want to create a general Win7 + Apps image which includes a driverbase of possible PNP hardware. However after the OOBE image is deployed to a target system I find that the Windows/inf directory contains PNF files for every XXX.inf file inside this folder. Why ? And is this Normal in Windows 7 ? Is it harmful, loss of performance ?
Isn't it so that PNF files are only created for the hardware/devices that's really connected PNP / devices on the mainboard ?

Jayzee
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2010 7:29:19 PM

Quote:
I want to create a general Win7 + Apps image which includes a driverbase of possible PNP hardware. However after the OOBE image is deployed to a target system I find that the Windows/inf directory contains PNF files for every XXX.inf file inside this folder. Why ? And is this Normal in Windows 7 ? Is it harmful, loss of performance ?
Isn't it so that PNF files are only created for the hardware/devices that's really connected PNP / devices on the mainboard ?

Jayzee

Every time I've looked in c:\windows\inf in the last ten years, there;'s been a .pnf for every .inf file in there and some of the non-existent hardware you refer to may have been in the standard folder the OEM puts in to every system it installs. I doubt they get in the way - mine is only taking up 58Mb on a 1Tb disk.

!