Repeating ping noise in windows XP

I have a problem. I purchased a new laptop (portege M100) with XP pro. It
automatically installed the OS at first bootup. Now I am getting a ping noise
repeatedly when the PC is on. Ocasionally there is an hour glass when the
ping is sounded. It appears to be an application that is running in the
background. The sound is like the windows error bell. The one you get when
you try and click on something that is not in focus. I have run spybot and
antivirus but found nothing. the sound repeats all day long at random
intervals about 20 - 30 seconds apart. I have turned off the bluetooth and
wifi incase it was detecting something.

Has anyone come accross similar problem ? If so, I would appreciate some
help with this.
1 answer Last reply
More about repeating ping noise windows

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:39:14 -0700, Tek <Tek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a problem. I purchased a new laptop (portege M100) with XP pro. It
    >automatically installed the OS at first bootup. Now I am getting a ping noise
    >repeatedly when the PC is on. Ocasionally there is an hour glass when the
    >ping is sounded. It appears to be an application that is running in the
    >background. The sound is like the windows error bell. The one you get when
    >you try and click on something that is not in focus. I have run spybot and
    >antivirus but found nothing. the sound repeats all day long at random
    >intervals about 20 - 30 seconds apart. I have turned off the bluetooth and
    >wifi incase it was detecting something.
    >
    >Has anyone come accross similar problem ? If so, I would appreciate some
    >help with this.

    The best way to find mysterious sounds is to run Filemon (free)
    <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml>. Set the filter in
    Filemon to "*.wav", and wait to see what pops up. That will get you both the
    file, and the application.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck