Help needed with CPU upgrade please

I have a Deskpro EN running Windows 98SE and tried to install a faster CPU
but just got a blank screen.The processor I am using now is model No. SL3XY
which is 733mhz/133mhz bus with 256kb cache,1.65volts and 370 pin socket.The
stepping is cBO and the bus/core ratio is 5.5.
The processor I am trying to install is model No. SL52Q 933mhz/133mhz
bus,256kb cache,1.75 volts,370 pin,cDO stepping and 7 bus/core ratio.
I understand that I may have to alter some jumper settings on the
motherboard but which ones?Also do I have to change any other settings?
Any help appreciated,
PM

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <ccf8kl$3pv$1@sparta.btinternet.com>, "paul.morin" <paul.morin@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>I have a Deskpro EN running Windows 98SE and tried to install a faster CPU
>but just got a blank screen.The processor I am using now is model No. SL3XY
>which is 733mhz/133mhz bus with 256kb cache,1.65volts and 370 pin socket.The
>stepping is cBO and the bus/core ratio is 5.5.
> The processor I am trying to install is model No. SL52Q 933mhz/133mhz
>bus,256kb cache,1.75 volts,370 pin,cDO stepping and 7 bus/core ratio.
> I understand that I may have to alter some jumper settings on the
>motherboard but which ones?Also do I have to change any other settings?
> Any help appreciated,
> PM

Currently your board is set with dipswitches to a 5.5 muliplier setting, you
need to change it to a 7 multiplier setting.

5.5x133=733 cpu speed
7.0x133=933 cpu speed

hh

The multiplier and bus speed normally are locked in PIII Coppermine
processors, so no jumper settings need be changed. You might check to see if
you have the latest BIOS installed. Of course, it could be a dud processor
you are trying to install. You might check this document:

http://h200007.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_124896-002_ch5/TPM_124896-002_ch5.pdf

HH

"paul.morin" <paul.morin@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I have a Deskpro EN running Windows 98SE and tried to install a faster CPU
> but just got a blank screen.The processor I am using now is model No.
SL3XY
> which is 733mhz/133mhz bus with 256kb cache,1.65volts and 370 pin
socket.The
> stepping is cBO and the bus/core ratio is 5.5.
> The processor I am trying to install is model No. SL52Q 933mhz/133mhz
> bus,256kb cache,1.75 volts,370 pin,cDO stepping and 7 bus/core ratio.
> I understand that I may have to alter some jumper settings on the
> motherboard but which ones?Also do I have to change any other settings?
> Any help appreciated,
> PM

OK but how do I do it please?