Data kit for VX7000

Are the aftermarket kits as good/better than the mobile web kit software
wise? What are the thoughts on a charging/data cable?
6 answers Last reply
More about data vx7000

    cricket wrote:
    > Are the aftermarket kits as good/better than the mobile web kit
    > software wise? What are the thoughts on a charging/data cable?

    I'm curious what you are asking exactly.... You are aware that the MO kit is
    only $39.95, and you can get aftermarkets for about $29.95... and save maybe
    a whole $10 right? There are a lot of people on the NG claiming that MO is
    $80.. Obviously they have never looked at the website or walked into a
    store. it is ONLY $39.95, can be ordered online, and shipped free to your
    door.
    The funny part is that if you look for a USB/Charging cable (the MO kit
    comes with one), you usually pay about $9.95 more.. Wow.. you can save a
    whole nickle...:)

    Sorry for joking around, I have never seen anyone that went with a MO kit
    take more than 10 min to install it and have it working, but have seen many
    people that want to save a nickle (or $10), take weeks to get it working, or
    worse, spend way more than the MO kit, and still never get it working.

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > cricket wrote:
    > > Are the aftermarket kits as good/better than the mobile web kit
    > > software wise? What are the thoughts on a charging/data cable?
    >
    > I'm curious what you are asking exactly.... You are aware that the MO kit
    is
    > only $39.95, and you can get aftermarkets for about $29.95... and save
    maybe
    > a whole $10 right? There are a lot of people on the NG claiming that MO is
    > $80.. Obviously they have never looked at the website or walked into a
    > store. it is ONLY $39.95, can be ordered online, and shipped free to your
    > door.
    > The funny part is that if you look for a USB/Charging cable (the MO kit
    > comes with one), you usually pay about $9.95 more.. Wow.. you can save a
    > whole nickle...:)
    >
    > Sorry for joking around, I have never seen anyone that went with a MO kit
    > take more than 10 min to install it and have it working, but have seen
    many
    > people that want to save a nickle (or $10), take weeks to get it working,
    or
    > worse, spend way more than the MO kit, and still never get it working.

    I agree with the idea of buying the MO kit instead of screwing around trying
    to get other cables to work but I don't think a charging cable is standard.
    I bought a MO kit for a vx4500 about 2 months ago and the cable is not a
    charging cable.

    I know the MO kit is $40 from Verzion - but I thought the MO kit only had a
    sync cable, not a sync/charging cable?

    I woulda walked out with one today, but they were out of stock (the website
    is also out of stock). EBay has a lot of aftermarket kits/ cables for a lot
    less... but I could justify a higher price locally for the instant
    gratification aspect. Now that I need to order one, price and features
    matter more.

    I actually only need the cable - I can download modem drivers and setting up
    the dialer is a breeze - I've been doing it since they first offered
    internet access years ago. (I only ever used the MO cd once for my old
    phone - I set it up myself every other time.) But the kits include
    phonebook software which might be useful, or not... and transfer software
    for the picture phone. (I only ever used the phonebook software a few
    times - it was buggy and crashed a lot - but maybe it's improved since that
    version.)

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > cricket wrote:
    >> Are the aftermarket kits as good/better than the mobile web kit
    >> software wise? What are the thoughts on a charging/data cable?
    >
    > I'm curious what you are asking exactly.... You are aware that the MO kit
    > is only $39.95, and you can get aftermarkets for about $29.95... and save
    > maybe a whole $10 right? There are a lot of people on the NG claiming that
    > MO is $80.. Obviously they have never looked at the website or walked into
    > a store. it is ONLY $39.95, can be ordered online, and shipped free to
    > your door.
    > The funny part is that if you look for a USB/Charging cable (the MO kit
    > comes with one), you usually pay about $9.95 more.. Wow.. you can save a
    > whole nickle...:)
    >
    > Sorry for joking around, I have never seen anyone that went with a MO kit
    > take more than 10 min to install it and have it working, but have seen
    > many people that want to save a nickle (or $10), take weeks to get it
    > working, or worse, spend way more than the MO kit, and still never get it
    > working.

    The cables I have myself, and have seen with MO, all do the charging. The
    power jack plugs into a square boxy thing on the cable itself (didn't know
    that until someone told me about a year ago). Lets people (I have it that
    way too) leave the phone connected to the laptop/the headset plugged into
    the phone, and the charger plugged into both AC and the cable/phone. I am
    currently in a motel in Las Vegas, and have the phone on 24/7. If I go out,
    I just unhook the data/power cable from the bottom, clip the phone to my
    belt and go (reverse that when I get back), that way the phone is always
    fully charged.

    While some users just do the cable/dial-up thing, I don't know of any way to
    do the setup strings to go between qwk2net and 1x (other than add them
    manually, they are already in the software), and some people use the venturi
    compression, which I don't think works without MO (It should, but I think
    the Verizon Venturi checks for MO being active to work).

    Just curious, do you play with both QWK2NET *AND* 1X (now NationalAccess,
    was Express, but 1X is easier to type/call it), it is much easier to use the
    higher speed NA-MOU *OPTION* (added free to plans from june 14th 2003 to dec
    2003, and now again in 2005). I do, and by using the *option*, I can call
    free after 9 and weekends, and get connect speeds way way faster than my
    dial-up modem connects (100 K, about double the modem speed, but in my case
    the switchboard here slows things down to 24k connects, so it's about 4X).

    Getting stuff on Ebay is fine. and way cheaper *if* you know the
    difference... I have seen 3 kinds of cables (serial, USB/no Charger port,
    USB/WITH a charger port). I do phone sales/repair, and can't count the
    number of ????? who get a third party cable, and don't know how to make it
    work, or can't do standard functions with it.

    Just an aside, I just checked ebay, and there is a MO kit *specifically*
    for your phone on sale now.. current bid is $1. :)

    cricket wrote:
    > I know the MO kit is $40 from Verzion - but I thought the MO kit only
    > had a sync cable, not a sync/charging cable?
    >
    > I woulda walked out with one today, but they were out of stock (the
    > website is also out of stock). EBay has a lot of aftermarket kits/
    > cables for a lot less... but I could justify a higher price locally
    > for the instant gratification aspect. Now that I need to order one,
    > price and features matter more.
    >
    > I actually only need the cable - I can download modem drivers and
    > setting up the dialer is a breeze - I've been doing it since they
    > first offered internet access years ago. (I only ever used the MO cd
    > once for my old phone - I set it up myself every other time.) But
    > the kits include phonebook software which might be useful, or not...
    > and transfer software for the picture phone. (I only ever used the
    > phonebook software a few times - it was buggy and crashed a lot - but
    > maybe it's improved since that version.)
    >

    > "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> cricket wrote:
    >>> Are the aftermarket kits as good/better than the mobile web kit
    >>> software wise? What are the thoughts on a charging/data cable?
    >>
    >> I'm curious what you are asking exactly.... You are aware that the
    >> MO kit is only $39.95, and you can get aftermarkets for about
    >> $29.95... and save maybe a whole $10 right? There are a lot of
    >> people on the NG claiming that MO is $80.. Obviously they have never
    >> looked at the website or walked into a store. it is ONLY $39.95, can
    >> be ordered online, and shipped free to your door.
    >> The funny part is that if you look for a USB/Charging cable (the MO
    >> kit comes with one), you usually pay about $9.95 more.. Wow.. you
    >> can save a whole nickle...:)
    >>
    >> Sorry for joking around, I have never seen anyone that went with a
    >> MO kit take more than 10 min to install it and have it working, but
    >> have seen many people that want to save a nickle (or $10), take
    >> weeks to get it working, or worse, spend way more than the MO kit,
    >> and still never get it working.

    For the record, I want a one piece USB sync/charger... some cables have the
    capability to charge phones (or provide power), although they are not the
    type of 'charging cables' I want because you still need the power supply.
    These cables have a jack for the phone's charger - but I want one that
    charges off the USB port. It's just too much hassle to carry the phone
    charger along and hard enough to find one free plug in an airport (for my
    laptop), let alone two... and using it in the car is worse. Both of my
    Kyocera cables worked with the phones charger and while it was better than
    running out of juice, I much prefer the sync/charging cable my PDA has - but
    it was original OEM.

    (I found a verizon kit on eBay and will probably order a sync/charge cable
    too - the total will about what I was willing to pay for instant
    gratification earlier today. )

    "George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

    > I agree with the idea of buying the MO kit instead of screwing around
    > trying
    > to get other cables to work but I don't think a charging cable is
    > standard.
    > I bought a MO kit for a vx4500 about 2 months ago and the cable is not a
    > charging cable.

    > Just curious, do you play with both QWK2NET *AND* 1X (now NationalAccess,
    > was Express, but 1X is easier to type/call it), it is much easier to use
    > the higher speed NA-MOU *OPTION* (added free to plans from june 14th 2003
    > to dec 2003, and now again in 2005). I do, and by using the *option*, I
    > can call free after 9 and weekends, and get connect speeds way way faster
    > than my dial-up modem connects (100 K, about double the modem speed, but
    > in my case the switchboard here slows things down to 24k connects, so it's
    > about 4X).

    I called and had 1X enabled on all of my phones as soon as they allowed it
    and wasn't aware it wasn't free on plans sold in 2004. I haven't used QNC
    in months - every place i used it upgraded. :) I used both with 2 different
    kyoceras and had to change settings on the phone and on the laptop to make
    it work - that was a PITA as there were 3 or 4 settings i needed to remember
    to change. Needless to say, I was glad when the last location upgraded. My
    record for 1X was 900 minutes one weekend - we visited family and video
    conferenced with my daughter and her newborn son - the voice and video was
    surprisingly smooth. Everyone was amazed that we could do stuff like that
    and it was faster than using my sisters dialup internet. Yes, they are all
    in the technology backwaters. <g>

    > Getting stuff on Ebay is fine. and way cheaper *if* you know the
    > difference... I have seen 3 kinds of cables (serial, USB/no Charger port,
    > USB/WITH a charger port). I do phone sales/repair, and can't count the
    > number of ????? who get a third party cable, and don't know how to make it
    > work, or can't do standard functions with it.

    Serial? What's that? <g> I haven't had one of those ports on my last 3
    laptops... i got a serial/usb converter to use with my first data cable -
    which was my last serial. (Needed for my GPS too.)

    > Just an aside, I just checked ebay, and there is a MO kit *specifically*
    > for your phone on sale now.. current bid is $1. :)

    I don't think i saw that one - unless it was the guy with too many
    complaints for my taste. I found one reasonably priced with reasonable
    shipping from someone with good feedback and used BIN. But i still want a
    sync/charge cable... you don't realize how nice just carrying one cable is
    until you try it. The charger for my PDA is huge and heavy - replacing it
    with one cable lightened my load considerably. I only wish i didn't have to
    take my chances with the quality on ebay for one for the phone... :(

Verizon Internet Service Providers