Windows Explorer is Slow - My Computer is Fast

May 18, 2005 7:41:47 AM

I am new to XP, and I am hoping someone can explain what is going on?

I bought a new computer yesterday. I copied several gig of information from
my old computer to this computer (through a friends USB drive). All
information was copied to a folder called 'd'. I've noted that Windows
Explorer starts quickly and displays the C:\ drive quickly, but as soon as I
ask it to expand this new folder, it is very slow (minutes). However, I can
access if via My Computer very quickly (even while Windows Explorer is
hanging). Once it has been accessed via Explorer, I can come back at any
time and access
it quickly (until I reboot, and then the process repeats).

In this folder, I have 19 subfolders (three of which are zipped). I was
suspicious that the zipped folders may be causing the computer to slow down
because they are large and I was suspicious Windows might be trying to unzip
them in the background. Thus, I moved these three folders to a completely
separate directory called 'Temp'. Now Windows Explorer performs at regular
speed in my 'd' directory. I was shocked to discover that it also access
the 'temp' directory at regular speed! Can someone tell me why explorer
seems to work at regular speed now, but didn't before?

I have no partitions, and I am not networked. There is only one hard drive
hooked to my system. I have 750 Meg Ram. Windows Explorer is set to
display detailed list (not thumbnails). I have completed all Windows
updates. The problems persist with and without Virus Checker & Firewall
software.

Thank you,
Chris
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:41:48 AM

Did you defrag after copying all the data over?
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"C. Bailey" <reply@newgroup.com> wrote in message
>I am new to XP, and I am hoping someone can explain what is going on?
>
> I bought a new computer yesterday. I copied several gig of information
> from
> my old computer to this computer (through a friends USB drive). All
> information was copied to a folder called 'd'. I've noted that Windows
> Explorer starts quickly and displays the C:\ drive quickly, but as soon as
> ask it to expand this new folder, it is very slow (minutes). However, I
> can
> access if via My Computer very quickly (even while Windows Explorer is
> hanging). Once it has been accessed via Explorer, I can come back at any
> time and access
> it quickly (until I reboot, and then the process repeats).
>
> In this folder, I have 19 subfolders (three of which are zipped). I was
> suspicious that the zipped folders may be causing the computer to slow
> down
> because they are large and I was suspicious Windows might be trying to
> unzip
> them in the background. Thus, I moved these three folders to a completely
> separate directory called 'Temp'. Now Windows Explorer performs at
> regular
> speed in my 'd' directory. I was shocked to discover that it also access
> the 'temp' directory at regular speed! Can someone tell me why explorer
> seems to work at regular speed now, but didn't before?
>
> I have no partitions, and I am not networked. There is only one hard
> drive
> hooked to my system. I have 750 Meg Ram. Windows Explorer is set to
> display detailed list (not thumbnails). I have completed all Windows
> updates. The problems persist with and without Virus Checker & Firewall
> software.
>
> Thank you,
> Chris

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 9:31:26 AM

No. I will check into defraggin.

Chris

> Did you defrag after copying all the data over?
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "C. Bailey" <reply@newgroup.com> wrote in message
>>I am new to XP, and I am hoping someone can explain what is going on?
>>
>> I bought a new computer yesterday. I copied several gig of information
>> from
>> my old computer to this computer (through a friends USB drive). All
>> information was copied to a folder called 'd'. I've noted that Windows
>> Explorer starts quickly and displays the C:\ drive quickly, but as soon
>> as I
>> ask it to expand this new folder, it is very slow (minutes). However, I
>> can
>> access if via My Computer very quickly (even while Windows Explorer is
>> hanging). Once it has been accessed via Explorer, I can come back at any
>> time and access
>> it quickly (until I reboot, and then the process repeats).
>>
>> In this folder, I have 19 subfolders (three of which are zipped). I was
>> suspicious that the zipped folders may be causing the computer to slow
>> down
>> because they are large and I was suspicious Windows might be trying to
>> unzip
>> them in the background. Thus, I moved these three folders to a
>> completely
>> separate directory called 'Temp'. Now Windows Explorer performs at
>> regular
>> speed in my 'd' directory. I was shocked to discover that it also access
>> the 'temp' directory at regular speed! Can someone tell me why explorer
>> seems to work at regular speed now, but didn't before?
>>
>> I have no partitions, and I am not networked. There is only one hard
>> drive
>> hooked to my system. I have 750 Meg Ram. Windows Explorer is set to
>> display detailed list (not thumbnails). I have completed all Windows
>> updates. The problems persist with and without Virus Checker & Firewall
>> software.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Chris

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:41:58 PM

Chris,
I am having the same problem and I have defragged twice. I am using a
60 Gig Hard drive and just wonder if it is just taking the machine
that long to scan the disk. My CPU is running at 1.4 Gigs.
TonySper

!