Not open for further replies.

erick30

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Hello,
my PC's specs are:
-GTX 560 1GB GDDR5
-i5 2300 quadcore going at about 2.8ghz
-6gb of ddr3 RAM (some Kingston brand, cant remember)
-700w Cooler Master Silent Pro series PSU
all my drivers are up to date, and i'm pretty sure this PC can handle Skyrim, RAGE, League of Legends, etc. at pretty high settings since my old GT240 could handle all of these perfectly (medium settings with 40-60fps). my GPU's temperature never goes above 60-65 degrees (when playing games) since my room is ass biting cold, and my CPU stays within 40degrees all the time. i know my PC could handle these games, but i usually get to play for about 5-10 minutes until my PC completely shuts down.

any idea why this is happening?

is it shutting down or rebooting? big difference between the two.

if it's shutting down the only thing you have to check is your PSU

if it's rebooting, go to system settings, start up and recovery, error reporting, uncheck "reboot on critical failure" and see what happens. if you're getting a BSOD it's either a hardware issue with one of the components or driver conflict.

while you're playing for 5-10 minutes, is the fps stable? no stuttering of any sort?
does windows crash if you're not gaming?

erick30

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
hi.
its shutting down, i usually browse YouTube, Facebook, 9GAG and the likes for a long period of time with nothing happening. the FPS stays very stable during these 5~10 minutes. no stuttering and windows does not crash when im not gaming.
when you say check my PSU what do you mean?

check the temperature, check that fan is working, check that it's plugged in properly etc.

hard shutdown is happening to prevent damage or PSU not being able to supply enough power for the whole rig to run.

typically, these run for 5-10 mins and then shutdown problems are thermal issues, since they don't present themselves during normal windows operation. Since you say your GPU and CPU are well below 85C it's clear that those are not the cause for shut downs. Check any other temps you can get to (hardware has thermal diodes) usually a mobo has a thermal diode around the CPU package or around ram. HDDs occasionally have a thermal diode too. PSU might have a dedicated, but for it to report that to mobo you would have to connect it by a separate wire.

if this is all new parts, open your computer up and check that everything is seated properly. feel the components if they are hot or not. etc. check for bulging capacitors on mobo (although those usually present much more severe malfunctions)

erick30

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
my whole rig is as cool as can be. i can play League of Legends for long periods of time now with no problem, tried playing RAGE. played for about 5 minutes, paused cause i had to answer phone for about another 5 minutes, came back and PC shut down about 5 minutes later. 15 minutes total of gameplay yay :D. anyways, i've checked the temperatures of just about everything and everything is cool, can it be driver related or something?

IThunderI

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Mine shuts down while playing games as well Mainly it shuts down on Battlefeild 3 but the weird thing is i can play MW2 and MW3 and Rage Crysis 2 ETC for ages but after 30 mins on battefeild it shuts down

My Specs

CPU - AMD 960t @ 3.2
MOBO - MSI 870a G-46
RAM - 8GB Cosair Vengence 1600 MHz
GPU - Crossfire XFX 6870's 1GB @ 900/1050
PSU - G7 Extreme 850w Modular
SSD - OCZ 60GB Vertex Plus
HDD - WD Blue 500GB 7200RPm

i think it might be the power supply because its not a decent named brand like Corsair or Antec but i would like to get some feedback first
My tempatures are low BTW CPU Full Load is @ 38C and the GFX is @ 60 below

but to note on battlefeild only one of my GFX are beeing used GPU1 60 - 90 Usage and GPU2 doesnt even budge past 10 Usage

all the latest drivers are intalled to add

IThunderI

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
What would u reccomend i was looking at the TX 850 or the HX 850 im looking towards the HX 850 mainly because its modular and i like my pc to be tidy for airflow reasons plus its a waste of cable managment in my Antec 900 V2

MachineDean

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I am having the same problem and it happens with every game. I downloaded Mario with a portal gun and it did even with that game. I can play games in a browser and it doesn't shut down. I have been playing portal 2 and Fallout New Vegas for a longtime and it never did this before. About 30 minutes into the game it shuts down. All my drivers are fine. IDK what the problem it. IT really makes absolutely no sense why everything else functions normally but the game

osmosismarcosis

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Well my pc is doing the same, but when i tilt the case and play it on the cyrillic side up it works just fine, play for hours on in. I have an Antec 850W PSU. Wiggled all power cables to make sure they were in and felt the PSU on the box itself while its running a game and feels cool as ice (figure of speech). So im wondering if its my HHD because when i tilt it back upright it stops within like 1-5 minutes. i saw that AntiZig said something about a thermal diode inside the HHD. Is that true? Cuzz if there is then thatll explain y my pc is workin on its side.... Please reply.

G

check your event logs you will have an error 41 and hopefully some around it that will help explain what happened b4 the shutdown.

ctrl panel/admintools/events look in aplication and system

by Hexit.

Hexit i'm asking u, where exactly should i look under application and system in windows 7 sp1 ?
Shutdowns occur to me too.I was playing assassins creed brotherhood fine before a format that i made to my system.
Now i can not play neither game (even assassins creed I shuts my pc down).
No driver problems.
Except that i'm not sure for the power supply, No hardware problems..
Yes, by using speedfan, it may be an overheating issue.

Johnlafunk

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hi guys, sorry I have this problem too.

My pc used to be able to play Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim hours straight, no problem. But after I have updated the graphic driver recently, it turns off suddenly around 15- 30 mins when I play games.

I have removed the graphic driver in Safe mode and re-installed the older version of the driver, but problem exist. I'm trying to reinstall the game to see if any problems.

Any ideas guys? Please help.

Cheers!

sidmax

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
i hade same problem. computer shutdown in 5 min play games like crysis 3 , sniper ghost warrior 2
this driver in my computer nvidia driver GeForce 310.70 Driver WHQL
after then i update to GeForce 314.22 Driver WHQL
but same problem
then i install GeForce 301.42 Driver WHQL
& after then i can play every game without any problem
so uninstall ur leteast driver and install 301.42 & ur computer working again normal

SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH

EASY SOLUTIONS UNINSTALL CURRENT VERSION DRIVER AND THEN INSTALL VERSION 301.42

sidmax

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
i hade same problem. computer shutdown in 5 min play games like crysis 3 , sniper ghost warrior 2
this driver in my computer nvidia driver GeForce 310.70 Driver WHQL
after then i update to GeForce 314.22 Driver WHQL
but same problem
then i install GeForce 301.42 Driver WHQL
& after then i can play every game without any problem
so uninstall ur leteast driver and install 301.42 & ur computer working again normal

SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH

EASY SOLUTIONS UNINSTALL CURRENT VERSION DRIVER AND THEN INSTALL VERSION 301.42

MatyasBlues

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Hello, I have mostly the same configuration the author of the first post has.

My PC suddenly turns off without generating errors while I play, mostly when big explosions occur on screen. It could not happen for weeks, then even 5 times a day. I own a 4:3 monitor, so I run my games only in 1280x1024 resolution and this allows me to crank them up to the maximum most of the times. They run smooth as silk, and then ZOT, it's gone. Three seconds later the PC power ups again, as nothing happened.
I noticed the same kind of issue was generated when I tried to work with the 'Overclock Wizard' on the Motherboard BIOS, which I set back to default just a minute later.
I never really checked the temperatures, and since I was running case and CPU fans in silent mode, I changed them back to normal level, but I haven't had time to try it out yet.

Could it be an energy issue? Or maybe a overheating issue? It has been happening for the last 5 Nvidia driver updates, so I would not consider that matter as relevant.

Grandmasterchoda

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Your problem sounds eerily similar to mine! I bought a new graphics card, motherboard and cpu. It didn't change a dam thing. Let me know what ended up working for you, please!!

Grandmasterchoda

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Did you figure out what it was? I am having the same issue!

MatyasBlues

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Greetings,
I managed to solve my problem definitely. It was no heating issue, just a malfunction in the PSU, and when the GPU asked for most resources it just made the whole thing black out. Try with a heavy benchmark and see it yourself.

Grandmasterchoda

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Your problem seems similar to mine, is your PC restarting or shutting right down?

Status
Not open for further replies.