Compuer freezing. CPU usage 100%

My computer has been running slow this week, and because of it, I've also
noticed my Internet only 1/2 as fast. Today it's been freezing for a few
seconds everytime I open a program. Also, when I press ctrl+alt+delete,
under Performance, my CPU usage is sometimes at 100% and it stays there.
4 answers Last reply
More about compuer freezing usage

    Mk200114 wrote:
    > My computer has been running slow this week, and because of it, I've
    > also noticed my Internet only 1/2 as fast. Today it's been freezing
    > for a few seconds everytime I open a program. Also, when I press
    > ctrl+alt+delete, under Performance, my CPU usage is sometimes at 100%
    > and it stays there.

    Could you post the process that is using you cpu time?

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Mk200114" wrote:

    | My computer has been running slow this week, and because of it, I've also
    | noticed my Internet only 1/2 as fast. Today it's been freezing for a few
    | seconds everytime I open a program. Also, when I press ctrl+alt+delete,
    | under Performance, my CPU usage is sometimes at 100% and it stays there.

    Hi, Carey -

    I would appreciate any insight.

    I (Brett) am having this issue too -- out of the blue.

    Very frustrating.

    I am in Windows Task Manager/Processes? Is there something out of the
    ordinary I should be looking for? Is there an easy way to paste in my
    processes (ctrl a+c+v) doesn't seem to work?

    Is this a spyware issue? Just ran MS Antispyware (Beta) and came up with
    PowerReg Scheduler _and following recommends to Quarantine, the other
    Claria.GAIN and Claria.GAIN trickler seemed minor but I am removing. But
    even if spyware, should it consume 100% cpu constantly?

    Think there is another issue?

    Running XP PRo system P4 2.4 GHZ 1 GB RAM.

    Thanks! Brett

    "MAP" wrote:

    > Mk200114 wrote:
    > > My computer has been running slow this week, and because of it, I've
    > > also noticed my Internet only 1/2 as fast. Today it's been freezing
    > > for a few seconds everytime I open a program. Also, when I press
    > > ctrl+alt+delete, under Performance, my CPU usage is sometimes at 100%
    > > and it stays there.
    >
    > Could you post the process that is using you cpu time?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Pawlak

    System Idle Process is taking about 95, but it's always had that, even
    before this happened.

Computers CPUs Microsoft Windows XP