Compuer freezing. CPU usage 100%

a b à CPUs
May 18, 2005 5:31:04 PM

My computer has been running slow this week, and because of it, I've also
noticed my Internet only 1/2 as fast. Today it's been freezing for a few
seconds everytime I open a program. Also, when I press ctrl+alt+delete,
under Performance, my CPU usage is sometimes at 100% and it stays there.
May 18, 2005 8:36:53 PM

Mk200114 wrote:
> My computer has been running slow this week, and because of it, I've
> also noticed my Internet only 1/2 as fast. Today it's been freezing
> for a few seconds everytime I open a program. Also, when I press
> ctrl+alt+delete, under Performance, my CPU usage is sometimes at 100%
> and it stays there.

Could you post the process that is using you cpu time?

--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mk200114" wrote:

| My computer has been running slow this week, and because of it, I've also
| noticed my Internet only 1/2 as fast. Today it's been freezing for a few
| seconds everytime I open a program. Also, when I press ctrl+alt+delete,
| under Performance, my CPU usage is sometimes at 100% and it stays there.
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2005 1:48:04 PM

Hi, Carey -

I would appreciate any insight.

I (Brett) am having this issue too -- out of the blue.

Very frustrating.

I am in Windows Task Manager/Processes? Is there something out of the
ordinary I should be looking for? Is there an easy way to paste in my
processes (ctrl a+c+v) doesn't seem to work?

Is this a spyware issue? Just ran MS Antispyware (Beta) and came up with
PowerReg Scheduler _and following recommends to Quarantine, the other
Claria.GAIN and Claria.GAIN trickler seemed minor but I am removing. But
even if spyware, should it consume 100% cpu constantly?

Think there is another issue?

Running XP PRo system P4 2.4 GHZ 1 GB RAM.

Thanks! Brett

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315
>
> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
>
> Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
> to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:
>
> Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp
>
> How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp
>
> HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Mk200114" wrote:
>
> | My computer has been running slow this week, and because of it, I've also
> | noticed my Internet only 1/2 as fast. Today it's been freezing for a few
> | seconds everytime I open a program. Also, when I press ctrl+alt+delete,
> | under Performance, my CPU usage is sometimes at 100% and it stays there.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2005 7:36:02 PM

"MAP" wrote:

> Mk200114 wrote:
> > My computer has been running slow this week, and because of it, I've
> > also noticed my Internet only 1/2 as fast. Today it's been freezing
> > for a few seconds everytime I open a program. Also, when I press
> > ctrl+alt+delete, under Performance, my CPU usage is sometimes at 100%
> > and it stays there.
>
> Could you post the process that is using you cpu time?
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak

System Idle Process is taking about 95, but it's always had that, even
before this happened.
!