XP icons loading like thumbnails

That is the best way to discribe what it happening. When I open any folder
either in explorer, or in a program such as Photoshop, all the files there
should be seen as an icon, but they load very slowly and even to the point of
locking things up till they do load. In explorer the icons sometimes even
load as small thumbnails!

I've ran my norton tools on it, I've tried a couple of registry programs,
looking for errors, but no luck.

Can someone PLEASE help me out here??

Thanks
Jeff

I might add that there has not been any new programs installed and there have
not been any virus found.

really needing help here if I can get it.
Thanks again,
Jeff