Trouble saving new page file size

Hi,

I wish to enlarge my page file from the default 382Mb to 2GB (minimum and
maximum). I have tried doing this using the administrator login and also my
own profile login (has full administrator privleges) but Windows does not
seem to accept and save the changes.

This is a home PC running Windows XP Pro SP2 with 80GB hard disk space. I am
sure that I am going the right route : Start > Control Panel > System >
Advanced > Performance Setting > Advanced > Change and then setting a Custom
size of 2000Mb minimum and 2000Mb maximum.

Frustratingly, the numbers in the box labelled "Drive [Volume Label" shows
the 2000 correctly, but at the bottom it still shows the total pagefile as
382Mb.

No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get this changed and keep it changed.

Am I missing something blindingly obvious, or is there a deeper problem here?

Thanks,

--
Colin
3 answers Last reply

    Have you rebooted the computer after making these changes?

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "Colin" <Colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wish to enlarge my page file from the default 382Mb to 2GB
    > (minimum and
    > maximum). I have tried doing this using the administrator login
    > and also my
    > own profile login (has full administrator privleges) but
    > Windows does not
    > seem to accept and save the changes.
    >
    > This is a home PC running Windows XP Pro SP2 with 80GB hard
    > disk space. I am
    > sure that I am going the right route : Start > Control Panel >
    > System >
    > Advanced > Performance Setting > Advanced > Change and then
    > setting a Custom
    > size of 2000Mb minimum and 2000Mb maximum.
    >
    > Frustratingly, the numbers in the box labelled "Drive [Volume
    > Label" shows
    > the 2000 correctly, but at the bottom it still shows the total
    > pagefile as
    > 382Mb.
    >
    > No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get this changed and keep
    > it changed.
    >
    > Am I missing something blindingly obvious, or is there a deeper
    > problem here?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > --
    > Colin

    "Colin" <Colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wish to enlarge my page file from the default 382Mb to 2GB (minimum and
    > maximum). I have tried doing this using the administrator login and also
    my
    > own profile login (has full administrator privleges) but Windows does not
    > seem to accept and save the changes.
    >
    > This is a home PC running Windows XP Pro SP2 with 80GB hard disk space. I
    am
    > sure that I am going the right route : Start > Control Panel > System >
    > Advanced > Performance Setting > Advanced > Change and then setting a
    Custom
    > size of 2000Mb minimum and 2000Mb maximum.
    >
    > Frustratingly, the numbers in the box labelled "Drive [Volume Label" shows
    > the 2000 correctly, but at the bottom it still shows the total pagefile as
    > 382Mb.
    >
    > No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get this changed and keep it
    changed.

    > Am I missing something blindingly obvious, or is there a deeper problem
    here?
    Perhaps 382 MB is all it needs. All you have done is let windows expand the
    pagefile if it needs to be expanded.
    I personally prefer to let Windows manage the pagefile size so that I can
    worry about other things.
    Jim

    Thanks Jim - that seems to make sense to me.

    --
    Colin

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "Colin" <Colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I wish to enlarge my page file from the default 382Mb to 2GB (minimum and
    > > maximum). I have tried doing this using the administrator login and also
    > my
    > > own profile login (has full administrator privleges) but Windows does not
    > > seem to accept and save the changes.
    > >
    > > This is a home PC running Windows XP Pro SP2 with 80GB hard disk space. I
    > am
    > > sure that I am going the right route : Start > Control Panel > System >
    > > Advanced > Performance Setting > Advanced > Change and then setting a
    > Custom
    > > size of 2000Mb minimum and 2000Mb maximum.
    > >
    > > Frustratingly, the numbers in the box labelled "Drive [Volume Label" shows
    > > the 2000 correctly, but at the bottom it still shows the total pagefile as
    > > 382Mb.
    > >
    > > No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get this changed and keep it
    > changed.
    > >
    > > Am I missing something blindingly obvious, or is there a deeper problem
    > here?
    > Perhaps 382 MB is all it needs. All you have done is let windows expand the
    > pagefile if it needs to be expanded.
    > I personally prefer to let Windows manage the pagefile size so that I can
    > worry about other things.
    > Jim

File Size Windows XP