Kingston Launches HyperX External USB 3.0 SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
$600 for the top end model I can see. I can even see sort-of-kind-of see $650 since it is one of the first USB 3.0 SSD external-only drives, and you gotta add on the Kingston HyperX tax anyway. But $743? Really?

I think I'll just stick with my old-fashion spinning hard disks for now.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Why so expensive?
Cause they are FAST. Real fast.
I have an OCZ Agility 2 and it was worth every penny.

WoW loads in seconds.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Offer that same product with 8 times the capacity of the 256 (2TB) at $350 and you have yourselves a new customer. I guess I'll be waiting until 2013 for one of these. Maybe they'll have a USB 4.0 by then...just maybe. I haven't checked the roadmap, yet.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Why would someone buy this you could buy an external enclosure, a separate SSD that's faster and connect over ESATA? It would be faster cheaper and everyone already has SATA on their systems.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Normally I like Kingston's releases... this however is a complete pile and waste of money.
In a very short time devices will be this fast, and the size of a normal USB stick... oh and regularly priced. Not extortionate.
I'll spend my money on an internal SSD

Oh, @amstech, would agree 100% if this wasn't on a USB interface. Apps won't install to this SSD.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Our Money is best spent on a NAS from Synology or QNAP,

or just get a USB 3.0 Docking Station, with some speedy 2.5' 7200 RPM drives, and have some left over for an upgrade to Intel Sandy Bridge next quarter.

Come to think of it, I was excited for USB 3.0 last year, but I realize, USB is more about convenience, and not so much for raw speed.

Sorry Kingston, you are Genuine and all, but this is an overpriced gadget, just like your 64GB USB sticks.

G

Let´s wait. SSD is not harder to make than simple
electronics for ovens or micro-ovens even.

This is only marketing, they are trying to find out
how much money they can get from this product that
they found out we would like.

I would like to see SSD priced 25% over HD-disks not
more and SSD would return quickly for producers.

Status
Not open for further replies.