Total case dust filter? What do i use?

Poita

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Hi,
I live in Seoul, South Korea. it doesnt seem it on the streets but this is a dusty city (maybe its cause there is zero parks in the whole city). The dust is quite fine and i think one reason is that every year a massive country size dust cloud moves over from one of the deserts in China.
Anyway, even after i vacuum my apartment it's dust again a few days later. I find that my pc gets a bit clogged up and was wondering if there is any everyday material that i could wrap my case in to protect it? Womans stockings come to mind but not sure if that would catch the finer stuff or how it would look ;)
If there is anything you can reccoment i'd be grateful.

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
I've been there several times and lived for two years in Seoul - I know your pain.

If you aren't running an insanely hot pc or overclocking, you may want to look into passive cooling to deal with the dust/dirt issues. Those ultra-fine dust particles will clog any filter as they do your fans, heatsinks, etc.. The worse part of that scenario is that total filtering of the case would lead to severe meltdown when the filter gets jammed with dust - no way heat can escape. Another thought would be to enclose the pc in a cabinet that has intake and exhaust enclosures with pre-filters on them. Easier to maintain/clean pre-filters and fewer cleanings of the pc case. Pre-filters can be purchased at the same shops that sell filters for home air handling systems. Just cut to fit and attach.

(It's not a giant dust cloud, it has to do with the type of soil in that part of Korea.)

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Building a cabinet around it seems like a good idea, of course it might not be the look you are going for either, and I fear that you will just have to monitor the filters on that as well (I don't see why your air tight cabinet wouldn't start to heat up just like the case would??). You might want to search for a HEPA air filtering system. They filter the air of any particles less than 3 microns for the most part. For $400 you could not only solve this computer problem, but you will also save some time in vacuming, try to find one with washable filters (less replacement cost). I know this is pretty pricy but it depends on how bad your problem is.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Starfishy on 11/25/04 07:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
The benes of the enclosed cabinet is easier access to changing filters. There would be almost no need to clean the individual components of the pc. Forced air cooling with the pre-filter would be a viable option in this case. Keeping the dust/dirt off the internal fans/heatsinks/cards/etc is half the battle. The other half is pushing enough air through the cabinet to keep it cool. The environment in Korea is akin to living beside a sawmill.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

dirtecop

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I would suggest fitting these new DEMCifilters as it is the easiest to clean if you have to do it often. These filters work very well to stop dust but let air through for cooling.

Wizard17

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
dirtecop

Many thanks for the information I went to their website and ordered a round filter in black for the 25cm fan for the side window of my Thermaltake Armour VA80003 case. They made one up for me and it arrived today.

The outer ring is magnetic so it sticks on the side of the case over the hex mesh. It looks very nice and they made it using black cloth so I was most pleased with its appearance. The price was reasonable and the unit has a very fine mesh which when you blow through it seems to pose no restriction. I have been trying to find a round filter for some time that would not detract from the appearance of my case and this is it.

I was so pleased that I sent them pictures so they could post them on their website so others could see just how nicely they fit and look. The mag strip is only about a mm or so thick so it is very unobtrusive.

The company can be found at: http://www.demcifilter.com/

Wiz