run a VERY clean XP Pro environment - religious re: virus/spyware scans with
a number of different products. - no stupid stuff re: chat rooms - special
offers, etc. or wacky application programs

experiencing blue screens over last two days - kernel memory dumps & "page
fault in non page area"

system is NOT happy

noticed after downloading Windows Installer 3.1 patch this week

restore points will not work

generally defrag a couple times a week - now have repeated errors on defrag
log

Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
2 10 KB \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\$sys$cor.sys
5 76 KB \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\$sys$upgtool.exe
5 88 KB \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\$sys$caj.dll
7 300 KB
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\$sys$filesystem\$sys$DRMServer.exe

have run Norton disk doctor / windows chk dsk / and boot disk diagnostics -
appears the hard drive integrity ok -

sound familiar???

appreciate the help

#1 for me would be to ditch Norton Disk Destroyer permanently (but
then I have a negative opinion of anything & everything from
Norton/Symantec in the last 10 years or so).

What specific spyware and spyware programs are you using? These
products vary widely in performance and quality, and some of the
purported anti-spyware products are in fact spyware themselves. Also
in the current spyware environment you need to use a multiple program
approach in order to clean up a system and keep it that way. No
single product by itself can be relied on completely.

See MVP Jim Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix Procedure at
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm for instructions on how to
effectively clean up a system. Also see Eric Howes' report of rogue
and suspect spyware products at
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm to see if any of
your apps are on the list.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron - thanks ..been traveling

using Ad aware SE Plus SR 1.05 - spybot s&d 1.3 - Hijack this 1.99.1 -
RegRun Pro 4.1 - Webroot Spysweeper 4.0 - MS AntiSpyware beta AND your hated
Norton Suite

don't believe?? the issue is due to spyware/virus/trojans etc. - could be
from power hit?? - am using large capacity APC UPS back up and have noticed
no unusual occurences with any peripherals or applications

this defrag string is wacky - can't figure it out - really don't want to
reload XP Pro OS if I don't have to - any way around it??

regards