  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 24, 2005 3:17:32 AM

I have upgraded from an SMC7004VWBR router/wired/wireless AP to an
SMC2804WBRP-G router/wired/wireless AP to take advantage of 802.11g. All is
working fine. I have found a dead zone on my front porch and I was wondering
if I can use the old AP to cover that area? I have a 802.11g card in my
laptop. I need a solid connection more then speed. I know G looks back at B
but I am not sure how to add the second router/ap. I only have one Ethernet
port on my computer and it is used by the G router. If it would work how do
I wire it up and what settings should I use? Thanks for all your help.

More about : smc cover

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 24, 2005 3:50:45 AM

Ted <thomas.ted@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have upgraded from an SMC7004VWBR router/wired/wireless AP to an
> SMC2804WBRP-G router/wired/wireless AP to take advantage of 802.11g. All
> is working fine. I have found a dead zone on my front porch and I was
> wondering if I can use the old AP to cover that area?

I retired my SMC7004VWBR because the wireless needed a reset every couple
of days, used or not. My SMC7004WFW was retired because it worked fine
with Windows 2000, but failed after a couple of hours connect time with
WinXP on several different computers.

You can cable from your new router to the old router, and use it as a
WAP-only by connecting to the LAN connector instead of the WAN connector.

Using a Netgear Wireless Router as a Wireless Access Point
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp
The advice should fit the SMC.

If you just have a dead spot, you might try a reflector.
http://www.freeantennas.com EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock,
with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in
signal. http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/EZ12-windsurfer.jpg

--
---