use original Recovery Console w/ SP2?

Hi everyone, I have the original XP installation CD that was before any
service packs. I have updated my computer to SP2. I know I cannot install
the Recovery Console as a startup option with the old CD. I would like to
know if I can boot from the old CD and run the RC to fix disk errors.
Having the RC from the old CD fix errors on a partition containing SP2 will
not cause any problems, will it?
9 answers Last reply
More about original recovery console

    You can install the Recovery Console with the correct set of these boot
    disks:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    > You can install the Recovery Console with the correct set of these boot
    > disks:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

    Wow - that would be a great idea. However I don't have a floppy drive. I
    do have a CD-RW drive.

    Hi, slipstream you original WinXP CD with the SP2 patch and then you can use the
    recovery console from the new Win XP SP2 CD you're just created.

    Autostreamer
    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
    http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

    Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248
    Creating a bootable Windows XP

    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide

    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    Click the Windows XP Faq button and take a look at question 83

    freeware CD burning application
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, slipstream you original WinXP CD with the SP2 patch and then you can
    > use the recovery console from the new Win XP SP2 CD you're just created.

    I'd rather not slipstream because I know very little about CD burning and
    that kind of stuff; isn't there an easier option?

    > "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, slipstream you original WinXP CD with the SP2 patch and then you can
    >> use the recovery console from the new Win XP SP2 CD you're just created.
    >>

    > I'd rather not slipstream because I know very little about CD burning and
    > that kind of stuff; isn't there an easier option?

    Instead of slipstreaming, and instead of installing the Recovery Console
    onto my HD, can't I just run the RC from my old XP CD to repair my hard
    drive? Even though the CD is pre-service pack 2?

    > "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, slipstream you original WinXP CD with the SP2 patch and then you can
    >>> use the recovery console from the new Win XP SP2 CD you're just created.
    >>>

    >> I'd rather not slipstream because I know very little about CD burning and
    >> that kind of stuff; isn't there an easier option?
    >
    > Instead of slipstreaming, and instead of installing the Recovery Console
    > onto my HD, can't I just run the RC from my old XP CD to repair my hard
    > drive? Even though the CD is pre-service pack 2?
    The only file of which I am aware that RC accesses from the Windows
    installation on C: is a file called Autochk.exe[is this correct?]. When the
    Recovery Console accesses this file and finds it to be a newer version (SP2)
    than what it is expecting, does that confuse RC?

    Then you will need to slipstream as already suggested.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Wow - that would be a great idea. However I don't have a floppy drive. I
    > do have a CD-RW drive.

    Autostreamer (slipstreaming) is easy, get someone to assist you if necessary.

    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
    See this for instructions on how to use:-
    http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

    > "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> I'd rather not slipstream because I know very little about CD burning and that
    >>> kind of stuff; isn't there an easier option?
    >>
    >> Instead of slipstreaming, and instead of installing the Recovery Console onto my
    >> HD, can't I just run the RC from my old XP CD to repair my hard drive? Even
    >> though the CD is pre-service pack 2?
    > The only file of which I am aware that RC accesses from the Windows installation on
    > C: is a file called Autochk.exe[is this correct?]. When the Recovery Console
    > accesses this file and finds it to be a newer version (SP2) than what it is
    > expecting, does that confuse RC?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    No one can tell me whether it'll cause problems if I just boot off of my old
    XP CD and run the old RC from there? Even though the CD is pre-service pack
    2 and my hard drive has SP2 installed?

    "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> I'd rather not slipstream because I know very little about CD burning
    >>> and that kind of stuff; isn't there an easier option?
    >>
    >> Instead of slipstreaming, and instead of installing the Recovery Console
    >> onto my HD, can't I just run the RC from my old XP CD to repair my hard
    >> drive? Even though the CD is pre-service pack 2?
    > The only file of which I am aware that RC accesses from the Windows
    > installation on C: is a file called Autochk.exe[is this correct?]. When
    > the Recovery Console accesses this file and finds it to be a newer version
    > (SP2) than what it is expecting, does that confuse RC?

CD-Rom Recovery Console Windows XP