Missing system file

Long story short... got a virus, killed it, but also killed a system file
apparently. "autoexec.nt" to be exact, which resides in
"C:\windows\system32". I've found a solution, but that solution lends itself
to another problem. I need a Windows XP cd to get it back, but my computer,
which is an emachines PC, never came with one. Instead I was given 3
"Restore CDs" which contain all the starting software, including Windows XP.
And according to all available info from emachines, the only way to get
things like this to be restored is to do a system restore, (which doesn't
work for some unknown reason, no matter the date selected), or to do a
complete restoration, which erases the hard drive. Needless to say, I do not
want to do that. Any ideas?
--
If you could settle for the things I never say in riddles, then actions
truly speak louder than words.

    You can copy the files from;
    %systemroot%\repair
    directory.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    > You can copy the files from;
    > %systemroot%repair
    > directory.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Dear Apollo" wrote:
    > | Long story short... got a virus, killed it, but also killed
    > a system file
    > | apparently. "autoexec.nt" to be exact, which resides in
    > | "C:windowssystem32". I've found a solution, but that
    > solution lends
    > itself
    > | to another problem. I need a Windows XP cd to get it back,
    > but my
    > computer,
    > | which is an emachines PC, never came with one. Instead I
    > was given 3
    > | "Restore CDs" which contain all the starting software,
    > including Windows
    > XP.
    > | And according to all available info from emachines, the only
    > way to get
    > | things like this to be restored is to do a system restore,
    > (which doesn't
    > | work for some unknown reason, no matter the date selected),
    > or to do a
    > | complete restoration, which erases the hard drive. Needless
    > to say, I do
    > not
    > | want to do that. Any ideas?
    > | --
    > | If you could settle for the things I never say in riddles,
    > then actions
    > | truly speak louder than words.

    Where is this suggested file?On the restore CD?

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-Missing-system-file-ftopict375704.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1710495

    Doesn't exist on the CD

    --

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > You can copy the files from;
    > %systemroot%\repair
    > directory.

    Where is this found?
    Andrea

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Dear Apollo" wrote:
    > | Long story short... got a virus, killed it, but also killed a system
    > file
    > | apparently. "autoexec.nt" to be exact, which resides in
    > | "C:\windows\system32". I've found a solution, but that solution lends
    > itself
    > | to another problem. I need a Windows XP cd to get it back, but my
    > computer,
    > | which is an emachines PC, never came with one. Instead I was given 3
    > | "Restore CDs" which contain all the starting software, including Windows
    > XP.
    > | And according to all available info from emachines, the only way to get
    > | things like this to be restored is to do a system restore, (which
    > doesn't
    > | work for some unknown reason, no matter the date selected), or to do a
    > | complete restoration, which erases the hard drive. Needless to say, I
    > do
    > not
    > | want to do that. Any ideas?
    > | --
    > | If you could settle for the things I never say in riddles, then actions
    > | truly speak louder than words.

System File Windows XP