Anyone play the Halo games?

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I am a PC gamer first and foremost, but for some reason I can't get enough Halo.

I have all the games, even the crappy Halo Wars (which if you know anything about, should be PC gamer anathema).

I have been sinking several hours into the Anniversary Edition, as well as ODST (again), Reach (for the millionth time) - all of them.

I love Halo. I cannot get enough Halo.

Anyone else feel this way? If so, which is you favorite game?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
have you got Halo 1/2 for computer, if you have i'd be delighted to play if you can connect to me. Not alot of people are palying it on the PC. I don't really like Halo, now that i have Frontlines Fuel of War, and Call of Duty, and Crysis Wars could be better if the performance was more efficient. But i do like a game of Halo 2, if there are people there to play with online.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I have it only on 360.

I have heard that Halo 2 will only work on Vista, but I really don't know.

I do have Halo 1 for PC, but haven't tried playing it since I had Windows 7 installed. I last played it about 8 months ago and there were still about 100 people at any given time.

But there were a lot of cheaters.

I have Crysis Wars, and would be happy to play you in that sometime, although I'm not that good.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

In spite of our differences, I just fell in love with you all over again. :love: (not gay)

Halo: CE moved me in a way that no other console game ever did. I remember being torn in 2004 between Halo 2 and Half Life 2, and while Half Life 2 blew me away, Halo 2 never really came close to the same degree of magic as did the original. I have picked up the Anniversary Edition for my 360 and am having a blast with the remade maps in Reach.

From the moment I first jumped into the role of the Master Chief, wielded a plasma rifle, jumped into the warthog - with Halo's famous "da da da duuun" music blasting out from my speakers as I take an alien world by storm...It was love.

No other console shooter can compare to such memories, to such moments, to such pure...art. What Bungie created in the Halo Universe is nothing short of art.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I really don't like the cross-hair in Halo though, and how long it takes to kill enemies. I like Turok more in that respect (the latest Turok) eventhough alot of people don't like it. Far Cry is quite good though, i'm talking about Far Cry 1.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
You don't like an epic game cos of the crosshairs? erm...alright then. lol.
What don't you like about it? Is it the lack of "iron sights" you don't like?

Turok was cool (the newest one), I really enjoyed it, I thought it was a really good game, though if irc enemies in Turok also took a long time to bring down.

Not sure what Turok and Far Cry have to do with Halo though...

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
The Cross-hair's are smaller on Turok and Far Cry, and i noticed on pc the cross-hair on Halo is towards the bottom of the screen, the graphics seem a bit tacky/ odd for some textures like facial textures, and objects meshes are very basic. The enemies are annoying or infantile, makes it feel like you are shooting at telly tubbies. At the other extreme end is some particular modern warfare games or aliens versus predator where the graphics and stories are just too real. In my honest opinion making a game fun isn't about making it mirror real life; i don't want to see some of the disgusting things that happen in the real world put into my computer game, i want to relax and enjoy. But at the same time i'm a bit more hard core than just shooting grunts with high pitch voices.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but for me the enemies in Halo is one of the reasons it's so epic.

Grunts are very dangerous in that they stick you with plasma grenades constantly. When you play the game on Heroic or Legendary, that is when the gameplay really shines. I still haven't beaten it on Legendary and wouldn't call the Covenant "Telly Tubbies".

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Try completing the all Halo games by yourself on legendary, then you can talk about "hardcore".

There are many other different types of enemies in Halo than just Grunts, Grunts are just that, Grunts....Fish in a barrel, cannon fodder. Though they can be very deadly in large numbers on Ledgedary.

Flood, anyone? Hunters? How about Field Marshall, Genreral & Ultra Elites.

As for the graphics, Halo: Combat Evolved is 10 years old.

I'm with you - I love the entire Halo series, but nothing beats the first game. I've got the PC version and I still play every now and then. MAN I wish 343 would release an Anniversary-style patch for Halo PC. And also add motion-blur (I've gotten spoiled by more recent shooters...)

Played the Anniversary version last week and it was AWESOME. The graphics look like how I remember them looking - playing through the campaign for the first time 8 years ago. Of course when I hit the back button I'm reminded of how far we've come.

I also loved the books - have you read them?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I'm thinking about comparing other 32mb graphic games to Halo 2. I'm not at all talking about the difficulty of the game but instead the characters, such as in Aliens versus predators, i don't like the characters. I like the characters in Frontlines Fuel of War, it's not a gory game, and it's a bit more serious than some of the characters in halo, but then Halo is better in the sense that your not always shooting people. I told you i like Halo otherwise i wouldn't be playing it online, maybe it's Half Life 2 that i would really like, i haven't actually got it but i remember playing Half Life 1 on my friend's Play Station 2. I prefer the more serious weapons in a game, particularly ones that shoot bullets at high velocities, in Halo plasma weapon projectiles travel very slowly. I liked the Turok rail gun in the latest Turok game, that's my idea of a good fantasy semi-realistic weapon
http://kprojekt.net/wp-content/gallery/turok/pg-turok-railgun01.jpg

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Frontlines Fuel of War?...Characters?...Oh you mean the cliche 2d generic cardboard cutouts.

Half Life 2 is amazing, you should give it a go, though it might not be serious enough for you.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

if i may suggest as soon as Call of Duty 4 came out i didn't know anyone who was still playing Halo 3.

The Fall of Reach is awesome. Just awesome.
The Flood is a novelization of Halo CE with extra story. I loved seeing it fleshed out.
First Strike bridges Halo CE and Halo 2 and is also awesome.
Do not miss these three, but the others (Contact Harvest, Ghosts of Onyx) are a great read, too.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Dude, Halo still and will forever have a dedicated online community. Hell, THOUSANDS were still playing Halo 2 when original Xbox Live went down a few months ago.

Halo 3 still has 50,000+ at any given time. Halo Reach about double that.

CoD will never take the place of Halo. Never.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I'm still a little confused how we went from this...

Frontlines Fuel of War?...Characters?...Oh you mean the cliche 2d generic cardboard cutouts.

Half Life 2 is amazing, you should give it a go, though it might not be serious enough for you.

...to this

You seem to be randomly jumping from one game to another.

What does Call of Duty have to do with Halo?

Infact, what does Turok, Far Cry, Half Life and Frontlines fuel of war have to do with Halo?

Your posts look like this: I don't like Halo, I like Turok. I don't like Halo, I like Far Cry. I don't like Halo, I like Half Life. I don't like Halo, I like Frontlines Fuel of War. I don't like Halo, I like Call of Duty.

What game are you gonna come up with next?

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Sounds good mate. I was gonna buy one a while back.

Think I'll give The Flood a try first.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I agree.

I do find it odd that we are talking about CoD in a Halo thread, but as it's been pointed out, Nashsafc keeps coming up with games that I guess he feels negates the relevancy of Halo, which is laughable considering the games he's mentioned thus far.

Started playing Halo PC again because of this thread, and I've got a few observations. (PCgamer - you should give it a shot)

First, playing with the mouse and keyboard is a lot of fun (always played with a gamepad before); I keep wanting to sprint, though. Love switching weapons with the mousewheel. :)

Second, the textures and reflections are pretty darn good for an older game. Gearbox did a good job porting it - played the Xbox version the other day, and everything looked bland and muddy.

Thirdly, you can now apply morphological anti-aliasing if you've got a Radeon HD 5xxx and up (formerly no antialiasing solution worked). I've tried MLAA in a lot of games and it always blurs text and makes the overall image look muddy... But apply it to Halo PC, and all that happens is the jaggies are completely gone. Almost like AMD made MLAA specifically for this game...

And lastly, that compelling blend of timpani and strings in the Halo theme is incredible.

Anyways - I'm thoroughly enjoying the best Halo yet again! Hope the TexMod comes out soon...

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Wow. I may have to look for it, if I still have it. I used to play it back when I had Vista along with Halo 2 (which came out a year late on PC).

I never could get Halo 2 to work right on Windows 7, and although I never tried the first one on Windows 7, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear it works for you.