Help me chose a PSU and a case....

SmoothCorn

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Hi, I need to buy power supply and a case for my new computer...

This is the place where I will be buying all the stuff: <A HREF="http://www.canadacomputers.com/" target="_new">http://www.canadacomputers.com/</A>

My computer will have some demanding components... like a 939 motherboard, Athlon 64 and a 9800 Pro video card...

My computer should be as quiet as possible...

should I get an aluminum case? Is there an advantage of having an aluminum case over having a regular one?

I am thinkin of getting Antec Performance One P160 Aluminum Super Mid Tower for $155.. is it a good case? According to what I have read, it does not come with a power supply installed.

What power supply should I get? I was recommended a Trupower 480 Or 550.. Are they quiet? Maybe I should go with a Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W Noiseless PSU?...

thanks in advence :)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SmoothCorn on 11/25/04 11:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Aluminum cases tend to be noisier than steel. They also cost more. There's an idea that aluminum cools better, but your fans do so much of the cooling that case material is insignificant there.

You could go by weight! The heaviest cases are usually the quietest. There are quite a few 1.0mm thick steel cases on the market.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
As for a PSU I'll going to recommend the Tagan 480 Watt. It has a massive 28 amps on the 12 volt rail and is even more silent then the Zalman. It won't break the bank either.

By the way I currently am running my PC of a Zalman PSU. Its 420 watts but only has 18 amps on the 12volt rail which isn't great as I have lots of extra drives in my case. They have to be having a laugh when they call it "noiseless". Ok it is very quite under low load but once it’s under full load its single 80mm fan will pump out 31 db's of noise, which is very audible.

RichPLS

Champion
I would get the Antec TrueBlue 480watt

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
The guy wants quite. I have had Antec's in the past and they are very noisey I don't care how good Antec's branding is I wouldn't by it if I was looking for a silent PSU.

RichPLS

Champion
The TrueBlue has same power specs as True Power series, just blue light added. Sorry for the slip tho, but I like the light.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>