cpu usage 100%

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2005 9:10:01 PM

i have 1.2gb ram - 800 mb is free and still cpu usage is 100% - why???

More about : cpu usage 100

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2005 12:26:16 AM

Did you check Task Manager for what's using all that cpu?

mcp111 wrote:
> i have 1.2gb ram - 800 mb is free and still cpu usage is 100% - why???
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2005 2:29:46 PM

CHECKLIST FOR A GOOD NEWSGROUP POST.

"In the first paragraph of your post, clearly define the problem.

Accurately describe the problem including the *exact* verbiage
in the error message, if any. Some error messages are followed by
alpha/numeric characters in registers and those registers are not
usually required. Don't skimp on information but don't provide
unrelated details and confuse the issue.

Tell when an error occurs, not just that it happens. What
exactly occurs? If doing some action or using some particular software
triggers the error, identify it. Knowing if the problem occurs at a
particular time or if it is random may be helpful.

Did the software/computer ever work right? If it did, what has
changed? What were you doing just before the problem occurred? Knowing
about a setting change, added software or hardware or some registry
tweak that you tried may be essential to solving the problem.

Briefly describe your machine. Provide the CPU type and speed,
amount of RAM, hard drive size and amount of free space. If you are
having problems with a particular component, describe that hardware.
Avoid listing every piece of unrelated hardware you own. Identify the
operating system and version you are using: Control Panel, System,
General Tab.

Identify the procedures you have already used to try to fix the
problem. It is very aggravating to type up a long reply only to be
told, "I already tried that." You are starting on the wrong foot with a
post that begins with, "I have tried everything and nothing works."

If you have tried a procedure from a particular KB article, tell
which one by its number. Saying you have searched the Knowledge Base
with no results is not useful information as your searching techniques
may be faulty.

Sit back and wait for a response. Don't get impatient--the newsgroup
is manned entirely by volunteers. For this reason, you should carefully
consider any advice that is passed along. If you only receive an email
response and the answer is not posted, be careful. If there is bad
information in a posted response, someone will almost always post the
correct information. If you don't get a response, it is because nobody
knows the answer--your question will be read by many people. Even if
the volunteers cannot fix your problem, treat them as a friend--where
else can you get free help? There are *very few* Microsoft employees
answering questions in the newsgroups and they can only answer questions
on their own time; therefore, don't waste your time asking for a
response from them."
--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/index.html
Knowledge Base Info:

"mcp111" <mcp111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have 1.2gb ram - 800 mb is free and still cpu usage is 100% - why???
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2005 8:14:42 PM

Hi,

Download and run Process Explorer. Look for the process that's taking
up all the CPU recourses. This will help narrow the search.
Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtm...

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

mcp111 wrote:
> i have 1.2gb ram - 800 mb is free and still cpu usage is
> 100% - why???
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2005 2:58:25 AM

mcp111 <mcp111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have 1.2gb ram - 800 mb is free and still cpu usage is 100% - why???

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up Task Manager and go to the Processes
tab.
Click twice on the CPU column header to sort the list of processes
into descending order based on CPU usage.

Post the names of the 4 or 5 top items in the list with their CPU
usage values back here if you need further assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2005 6:20:29 PM

You mention RAM but do not say how much CPU capacity the machine has!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~