cpu usage 100%

i have 1.2gb ram - 800 mb is free and still cpu usage is 100% - why???
5 answers Last reply
More about usage

    Did you check Task Manager for what's using all that cpu?

    mcp111 wrote:
    > i have 1.2gb ram - 800 mb is free and still cpu usage is 100% - why???

    CHECKLIST FOR A GOOD NEWSGROUP POST.

    "In the first paragraph of your post, clearly define the problem.

    Accurately describe the problem including the *exact* verbiage
    in the error message, if any. Some error messages are followed by
    alpha/numeric characters in registers and those registers are not
    usually required. Don't skimp on information but don't provide
    unrelated details and confuse the issue.

    Tell when an error occurs, not just that it happens. What
    exactly occurs? If doing some action or using some particular software
    triggers the error, identify it. Knowing if the problem occurs at a
    particular time or if it is random may be helpful.

    Did the software/computer ever work right? If it did, what has
    changed? What were you doing just before the problem occurred? Knowing
    about a setting change, added software or hardware or some registry
    tweak that you tried may be essential to solving the problem.

    Briefly describe your machine. Provide the CPU type and speed,
    amount of RAM, hard drive size and amount of free space. If you are
    having problems with a particular component, describe that hardware.
    Avoid listing every piece of unrelated hardware you own. Identify the
    operating system and version you are using: Control Panel, System,
    General Tab.

    Identify the procedures you have already used to try to fix the
    problem. It is very aggravating to type up a long reply only to be
    told, "I already tried that." You are starting on the wrong foot with a
    post that begins with, "I have tried everything and nothing works."

    If you have tried a procedure from a particular KB article, tell
    which one by its number. Saying you have searched the Knowledge Base
    with no results is not useful information as your searching techniques
    may be faulty.

    Sit back and wait for a response. Don't get impatient--the newsgroup
    is manned entirely by volunteers. For this reason, you should carefully
    consider any advice that is passed along. If you only receive an email
    response and the answer is not posted, be careful. If there is bad
    information in a posted response, someone will almost always post the
    correct information. If you don't get a response, it is because nobody
    knows the answer--your question will be read by many people. Even if
    the volunteers cannot fix your problem, treat them as a friend--where
    else can you get free help? There are *very few* Microsoft employees
    answering questions in the newsgroups and they can only answer questions
    on their own time; therefore, don't waste your time asking for a
    response from them."
    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/index.html
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "mcp111" <mcp111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have 1.2gb ram - 800 mb is free and still cpu usage is 100% - why???

    Hi,

    Download and run Process Explorer. Look for the process that's taking
    up all the CPU recourses. This will help narrow the search.
    Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    mcp111 wrote:
    > i have 1.2gb ram - 800 mb is free and still cpu usage is
    > 100% - why???

    mcp111 <mcp111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >i have 1.2gb ram - 800 mb is free and still cpu usage is 100% - why???

    Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up Task Manager and go to the Processes
    tab.
    Click twice on the CPU column header to sort the list of processes
    into descending order based on CPU usage.

    Post the names of the 4 or 5 top items in the list with their CPU
    usage values back here if you need further assistance.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    You mention RAM but do not say how much CPU capacity the machine has!

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "mcp111" <mcp111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have 1.2gb ram - 800 mb is free and still cpu usage is 100% - why???

RAM CPUs Microsoft Windows XP