uber_m0j0

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
Aye

I need to get a decent UPS for mah system. The power in this old country house is very ify and goes out at least once a day. I'd like to know what kinda UPS (how many watts) I should get for my rig: 2700XP Antec 430watt PSU and a nifty surge protector. Thanks

~~ Windows Me: OS of teh MILLENIUM!

RichPLS

Champion
I got this one for my system <A HREF="http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/1500AVR-HO.htm" target="_new"> Cyber-Power 1500 </A>
for $145 us total including shipping from NewEgg.
Best damn battery backup/line conditioner I have ever used!
I used to use overpriced APC, but this one is great. Has cable surge, and phone surge also.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Damn I'm outdated, I'm still using this old APC unit I picked up free from a state auction (nobody bid on it so it went with the PC I picked up for $20). Of course I had to add batteries to it, and found that I could easily replace the 4 6v batteries with 2 12v batteries (exactly 2x the width) to save money ($13.50 for both batteries including shipping).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I bought a APC 200 for 5.95 at my local Goodwill(thrift store). I had to replace the batteries. The batteries cost me 20.00 but for a total of 25.95 I got a nice UPS.

So look around!

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Mine's a APC unit too. If yours used the large 6v batteries, you could have gotten a single 12v replacement from batteries.com with slightly higher AH rating for around $5 plus shipping. And their shipping is remarkably cheap!

I don't know their current prices, since I got mine a couple years ago.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Good advice. I havent opened mine for awhile so I'm not sure. It is 2 batteries. I figured that having 2 batteries was better in case one went bad.(no clue) I ordered mine from a local Mom and Pop cumputer store, yah I paid more but it is a local business.

I checked out Batteries.com but I didnt see a single battery for the ACP Back(BK) 200 model, only a double type.

I used to live in an area that got severe lightning storms and the power goes out here often, and I was in an urban area(Denver,CO) so I'm a big fan of UPS, but not these cheap power strip protectors. They protect nothing as far I'm concerned.

I'm more concerned against surges/spikes/AC line conditioning over have my computer or stereo staying on for the few minutes then I need to turn it off correctly. I dont have a business that depends on a computer running all the time.

I use a UPS on all my computer and stereo systems, because they are better then a cheap power strip for protection against spikes/surges and etc. IMHO. I have found a few UPSs for cheap at the thrift store. I would hate to blow up a 1000's of dollars and more of computer, video and stereo stuff just because to skimp on a cheap power strip or UPS.

Shop around,

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's the key: You don't buy "UPS" batteries, you buy the best battery that matches the size you need. I measured my batteries and found 12v units exactly 2x the size, with slightly better specifications.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
One of my friends rigged up several car batteries for a ups and it works damned good. I think I'm going to copy his idea :)
My belkin 1200va is ok but I wouldn't mind a few car batteries, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
The APCs are pretty good, but they are overpriced. I've been using Powerware UPSs in work for the past year, and I like them better than the APCs. The management software seems more intuitive, their cheaper than APC, and depending on the model you get, you can set two seperate power segments. We have some with multiple equipment, and it will shut down half after 15 minutes and let the rest use up the battery if needed. The Software also lets you monitor and control multiple PCs via the included software instead of having to buy extra software or add-in cards.

Usually a 750VA is good for home, but a 1000VA will keep it running longer if your power outages last more than 5-10 minutes.

Jarrett