Startup Hanging

My windows XP machine hangs at startup. I get beyond the windows XP logo
splash screen, but it hangs before I get to the user accounts screen. I've
tried booting my machine via the CD, but I don't want to overwrite my
previous setup. I would like to be able to boot up and find out what the
problem is. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried starting in SafeMode???..........hit F8 during boot up.
A series of Sys files will show on screen
post back at which file it gets stuck on
peterk

safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
"pfldparkdistrict" <pfldparkdistrict@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:4C83DE90-09E1-46AE-8817-85F1FDEB83A2@microsoft.com...