Grlmmjoww

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hello, I've been searching for a solution to my problem for a while now.

I can only play skyrim on the lowest settings in full screen despite the game recommending the high setting, in windowed mode i can play it on medium/high setting but i dont want to play it on a tiny window.

The game gets horribly laggy on any other settings and i cant figure out why, ive tried suggested things like downloading certain mods and changings thing in the skyrim folders but to no avail.

PC Specs:
CPU: intel core i3 2100
GPU: GeForce GTS 450
RAM: 4GB

Any help is greatly appreciated, and sorry if im missing and technical info, im not much of a PC whiz.

Grlmmjoww

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
im playing at 1920x1080, at the lowest setting in fullscreen mode it still a little laggy.

ill research overclocking my cpu tomorrow, i have no idea how it works but it seems quite dangerous

cbrunnem

Distinguished

it is not dangerous at all. especially at that low of a clock.

Grlmmjoww

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
so apparently you can only overclock an i3-2100 a very small amount due to it being locked, such a small amount that its not worth the effort

and find it hard to believe my CPU cant handle the strain of skyrim as it is

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

You shouldn't find so hard to believe, because Skyrim will make best use of a quad core, the higher the frequency, the better. Your CPU is a dual core, no Turbo Boost available for it and no "K" designation, so no unlocked multiplier. For its price, this CPU's performance is absolutely great, but not for Skyrim. Maybe you should try lower resolutions than 1080p and you could crank up a bit the details and might get better results with that.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-9.html

what about now? lol. skyrim will eat any cpu alive and still ask for more.

if the i3 is like the other sb locked cpu's you should be able to overclock it to 3.5 ghz which should get you more fps and raise your minimum rate.

venjhammet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Skyrim will lag because you're playing at 1080p. I just built a PC with the exact spec as yours only my GTS450 is only 128bit and I'm just running it at 1360 x 768 on medium setting with no lag, though high setting was recommended but I opted to go medium for framerate gain.

TRENDING THREADS