recycle bin slow to empty

When i try to empty the recycle bin it takes what seems like ages to delete
even one small file. This has only just started to happen and its bugging
the bits off me. Anyone have any idea why this happens? and what I can do
about it to fix it?

First of all, the thread is posted in the XP section, not vista.

Secondly, vista isnt' great, but there are ways to improve the performance of vista. I'm not saying it's my favorite OS, but it's performance can be improved with some adjustments.

Not to mention, the thread was posted over 4 years ago.