Random beeping noise on windows 7 64bit

kabolo1

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Hello, i get a beeping noise now and again when playing games, its just one beep but its done it on desktop a couple of times aswell, as anyone got any ideas and how to stop it, cheers

Have a look in Device Manager and see if there are any unidentified devices, or devices with a yellow exclamation mark (particularly USB devices). If I plug a Palm Pilot into my PC I get such a beep as the system tries to locate a driver for it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is the beep the sort you hear when you plug in a USB device or does it sound more like an alarm? If like a USB device, you could have something that is not fully plugged in the it is causing the system to react as if a new device is being connected occasionally. Just verify all of your connections are good if this is the case.

If the tone is more of a generic beep or alarm, it could be your motherboard reporting a power or heat issue. When gaming, you are often adding max stress (heat and power consumption) to your system. If this is the case, make sure all of your fans are clean and actually turning. If you are overclocking your CPU or GPU, you might want to drop them a notch or 2 to run slightly cooler. You should also ensure that you have an optimal airflow within your case (like rearranging cables to not block fans).

Good luck!

bmathews

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
So here is one solution I found that seemed to work for a few people with your same problem:

The problem is with CTRL + Space switching between languages.
Go to the control panel, remove any extra languages and disable any shortcut keys. This fixed the problem for me
Source: http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/31516-beeping-sound-lag.html

Also take a look at this site for a possible fix:
http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2010/03/get-annoyed-about-the-system-beep-sound-here-is-how-to-disable-it-in-windows-7/

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

kabolo1

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
thanks everyone, sorry i didnt get back to you all sooner, yeah its just like a single beep, does it mostly while playing dirt 2, my system is overclocked but the cooling is pretty good, my cpu as the corsair h50 watercooler and i gave got 3 220mm fans in the case and a spot cooler over the ram, the graphics card is a gigabyte gtx 470 soc, it only does this beep in windows 7 64 bit, il try what you all say and see what happens cheers

nahum

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Hi

i am having similar issue with my pc.

did You managed to resolve the random beeping
during windows 7?

BenSticky

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Im having random beeps as well (Like Morse code)

For me, I fixed it by Pressing CTRL + Shift + Esc, then going to processes, then ending 'taskhost.exe' It was using about 160k of memory and by ending it, it fixed the noise + It could help to speed it up.

Not sure how safe ending it is though...

Ben

Techgeeksunited

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Hi. Idk if you are hearing the beeps, but does it happen when you hit 3 or more keys simultaneously? if it is, windows is assuming you have a key or more stuck and it telling you to fix it. The only solution to fix that is to not press soo many keys at once. The beeping actually started in Windows XP. So its not just a 64-bit thing but also a 32-bit thing. Some thing that doesn't go off oftenly.

grimula

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
ive had this same problem recently. Even when I am on the windows screen sometimes I get a weird USB type beep and it lags for a second then comes back to normall

doesn't happen all the time but it random gives 1 beep (same beep sound when you click the volume up or down) and lags my comp for a second then back to normall