Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 vs. Windows Vista

Last response: in Video Games
January 22, 2012 8:18:48 PM

I just built a new computer for multiple usage as far as schoolwork, some autocad, gaming, internet browsing, video streaming,..etc , & of course some gaming (none or litle 3d). I'm either going to run Vista Ultimate or 7 Premium (maybe 7 Ultimate, depending on $$). How extensive is the difference in available games for 7 vs. those that are made for Vista (considering most/all games for 7 also are compatible for Vista). I also would like to run 64-bit but i know that that will effect the number of available applications also, so I'm just completely undecided right now... I've looked at the Windows 7 Compatibility List and it's a pretty short one, especially for 64-bit Windows 7... How accurate of a statement would it be to say that if the Windows 7 list doesn't have a particular software/hardware listed, that it definitively wouldn't work? or is there an option that allows you to fix this problem. Lost of questions, I know haha but i appreciate it guys. Thanks a lot

Brock

More about : windows windows vista

January 22, 2012 8:21:11 PM

I just built a new computer for multiple usage as far as schoolwork, some autocad, gaming, internet browsing, video streaming,..etc , & of course some gaming (none or litle 3d). I'm either going to run Vista Ultimate or 7 Premium (maybe 7 Ultimate, depending on $$). How extensive is the difference in available games for 7 vs. those that are made for Vista (considering most/all games for 7 also are compatible for Vista). I also would like to run 64-bit but i know that that will effect the number of available applications also, so I'm just completely undecided right now... I've looked at the Windows 7 Compatibility List and it's a pretty short one, especially for 64-bit Windows 7... How accurate of a statement would it be to say that if the Windows 7 list doesn't have a particular software/hardware listed, that it definitively wouldn't work? or is there an option that allows you to fix this problem. Lost of questions, I know haha but i appreciate it guys. Thanks a lot

Brock
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2012 8:37:56 PM

Go with windows 7. Compatibility with windows 7 64bit is great. Not sure what list you were looking at.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2012 8:54:27 PM

I see. Was there any program specifically you were curious would work?
m
l
January 22, 2012 9:15:41 PM

Windows 7 has better compatibility, but Vista works just as fine with games and programs as Windows 7, as they are almost the same.
m
l
January 22, 2012 9:26:41 PM

DCS: Blackshark, IL2 Sturmovik 1946 mainly. I would think that 7 would be backwards compatible with more products than vista was but i'm not an expert on that subject so idk haha
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2012 10:58:00 PM

brockstar113 said:
DCS: Blackshark, IL2 Sturmovik 1946 mainly. I would think that 7 would be backwards compatible with more products than vista was but i'm not an expert on that subject so idk haha

DCS: Blackshark looks like a sweet sim. I found under their FAQ for DCS blackshark that they added windows 7 support in patch 1.0.1 --> http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/faq/ - hit "Ctrl" and "F" then type windows 7.

As for IL2 I found people had to do some tweaks to get that game working but it seems it would be manageable. I can't say I have tested it myself though but a google search of IL2 sturmovik 1946 windows 7 will get you started.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2012 1:23:07 AM

WIN 7 IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. it outperforms all windows versions so far. it even matches xp in its compatibility... vista although it has been mostly fixed is still bloated compared to wind0ws 7 and is less compatible in some respects to xp software.
wit vista you will often loose performance on games made for xp but win7 has no such issues. if anything it plays xp games a little better due to optimizations in direct x.
also you dont need ultimate it has add-ons for business and thats it. pro will be fine it has all the compatibility of ultimate but doesn't have things like encryption which you wont need anyway.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2012 7:53:38 AM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Windows Vista vs 7 --> Gaming compatibility
    m
    l
    January 23, 2012 8:53:57 AM

Windows 7 = Excellent

Windows Vista = Poor
    m
    l
    January 23, 2012 3:36:55 PM

Always flaming Vista. A friend of mine has Windows Vista Ultimate and it works just as fine as my Windows 7 pro. As it is at its core almost the same, the difference of those two are only surface wise.
    Compatibility of windows 7 is better, which means it will recognize more hardware you add to your computer. But with drivers of off the internet, you can make the hardware just as fine on Vista.
    Search engine in Windows 7 is a bit better.
    Superfetch is a bit better on Windows 7.

Other than that, things run as good on Vista as on 7.

m
    l
    a b $ Windows 7
    January 23, 2012 5:12:23 PM

yeah you know win95 just as good as win7 if we omit all the things that win7 is better at.
    m
    l
    January 23, 2012 5:23:02 PM

Sure, win95 has the same kernel as win7, all programs will work on win95, right? Nice comparison.

All i am saying is: Windows 7 is better in some degree, but Vista isn't as bad as everyone always thinks it is, just because it had a bad start after lounge.

m
    l
    January 23, 2012 5:24:12 PM

*launch
    m
    l
    !