Windows XP System Restore Vs. Adobe PS Activation

May 24, 2005 9:14:14 PM

Does Anyone Know A Workaround Fix When Using System Restore When Adobe
Photoshop CS Is Installed ...As If A System Restore Is Performed With Adobe
Products Installed On The Machine, When Adobe Photoshop CS Is Opened Again,
You Are Asked To Re-Activate Photoshop CS .. This Happens Anytime That A
System Restore Is Performed

Until A Fix Is Available,I Don't Want to have to use System Restore As If
Somewhere Down The Line,The Re-Activation Is No Longer Permitted, For Say,
Too Many Re-activations Etc.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 9:14:15 PM

On Tue, 24 May 2005 17:14:14 -0600, "Brett Moar"
<webamericas@news.com> wrote:

>Does Anyone Know A Workaround Fix When Using System Restore When Adobe
>Photoshop CS Is Installed ...As If A System Restore Is Performed With Adobe
>Products Installed On The Machine, When Adobe Photoshop CS Is Opened Again,
>You Are Asked To Re-Activate Photoshop CS .. This Happens Anytime That A
>System Restore Is Performed
>
>Until A Fix Is Available,I Don't Want to have to use System Restore As If
>Somewhere Down The Line,The Re-Activation Is No Longer Permitted, For Say,
>Too Many Re-activations Etc.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that even
if you restore to a point *after* Adobe's activation was complete,
the activation status is still lost?
If that's it, then you should call Adobe.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 11:48:04 PM

Hi Brett,

This is an issue with Adobe, rather than System Restore. You should
look to Adobe for a fix, or simply reactivate after a restore.

< snip from the following article >

"System Restore and other imaging or backup software may restore
Photoshop but not activation data, causing Photoshop to prompt you to
reactivate"

Troubleshoot activation errors (Photoshop CS on Windows)
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330089.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Brett Moar wrote:
> Does Anyone Know A Workaround Fix When Using System
> Restore When Adobe Photoshop CS Is Installed ...As If A
> System Restore Is Performed With Adobe Products Installed
> On The Machine, When Adobe Photoshop CS Is Opened Again,
> You Are Asked To Re-Activate Photoshop CS .. This Happens
> Anytime That A System Restore Is Performed
> Until A Fix Is Available,I Don't Want to have to use
> System Restore As If Somewhere Down The Line,The
> Re-Activation Is No Longer Permitted, For Say, Too Many
> Re-activations Etc.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 5:05:48 AM

Brett Moar wrote:
> Does Anyone Know A Workaround Fix When Using System Restore When Adobe
> Photoshop CS Is Installed ...As If A System Restore Is Performed With
> Adobe Products Installed On The Machine, When Adobe Photoshop CS Is
> Opened Again, You Are Asked To Re-Activate Photoshop CS .. This
> Happens Anytime That A System Restore Is Performed
>
> Until A Fix Is Available,I Don't Want to have to use System Restore
> As If Somewhere Down The Line,The Re-Activation Is No Longer
> Permitted, For Say, Too Many Re-activations Etc.

Posted and answered on May 15...

That's not a "problem", that is a normal reaction by Adobe Photoshop...

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330089.html

-----
Photoshop may prompt you to reactivate in the following circumstances:
-- You used the Back Up utility to restore either the registry (System
State) or your Documents and Settings folders. This triggers a repair
scenario, which requires a reactivation.
-- You used System Restore or other imaging or backup software to restore
Windows or the hard disk (System Restore and other imaging or backup
software may restore Photoshop but not activation data, causing Photoshop to
prompt you to reactivate).
-- The file "~e5d141.tmp" was deleted.
-- The DAT files in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Macrovision\SafeCast\Product Licenses were deleted.
-- You removed Photoshop by using the Advanced Uninstall option.
-- You installed Photoshop on a dual-boot computer. (You can activate
Photoshop on only one of the installed operating systems.)
-- You reinstalled Windows or reformatted the hard disk.*

Follow the on-screen instructions to reactivate Photoshop. For more
information on how to reactivate Photoshop, see the How To Install ReadMe on
the Photoshop CD.

*In this instance, you must call the 24-hour automated Activation Voice
Response system to reactivate Photoshop. For a list of phone activation
numbers, visit the Adobe website at
www.adobe.com/activation/phonenumbers.html .
-----

Your problem, if it exists, is with Adobe - what do they tell you beyond the
given article?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP