Status
Not open for further replies.

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hey guys,

Just built my brand new PC and couldn't wait to play Skyrim on it. Bought it through Steam, started trying to play it, and I can't even get through the first scene without it crashing. It crashes getting off the little buggy every single time. Crashes to desktop, no warnings or errors or anything. Just acts like I close out of it.

I tried the sound thing, downloaded the latest Nvidia beta drivers, did the memory allocation thing that is suppose to allow the game to use more than 2 GB of memory, and none of it has changed a thing.

Anyone have any other ideas? Has anyone ever tried to get their money back from Steam on a game? I'm not putting up with this BS.

Solution
chances are its your oc. just go to bios and save your current profile then load optimized defaults.save/quite boot windows.. start the game and have fun...

unless your game is corrupt (check integrity of the game via steam) you should be pretty much issue free. the game is stable since 1.3patch. and i think steam is up to 1.4
also you didnt need to make the game LAA as it already was optimized for it during the 1.3 patch...

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I paid for a game that works and I didn't get that.

You buy a motherboard and it doesn't work, you get your money back.

You buy a memory kit and it has a dead stick, you get your money back.

Why would a game be any different?

I built a machine that works and has passed strenuous stress testing. There's nothing wrong with my machine.

chances are its your oc. just go to bios and save your current profile then load optimized defaults.save/quite boot windows.. start the game and have fun...

unless your game is corrupt (check integrity of the game via steam) you should be pretty much issue free. the game is stable since 1.3patch. and i think steam is up to 1.4
also you didnt need to make the game LAA as it already was optimized for it during the 1.3 patch...

Solution

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Whats funny about that?

Actually you can get a refund from steam, its not easy but its possible if you know what to do.

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
It wasn't the overclock. The system was crashing at default settings. I don't put an OC in the real world unless I'm 99% sure it's stable (can't ever be 100) because I use this computer for work sometimes and can't afford crashes.

I did an integrity check on the Steam files (never knew that existed), and turns out it had to re-download 2.X GB worth of the game. Runs like a top after that!

Just thought I would report back so that anyone else having the issue can run this integrity check as well. I did not know that existed.

Thanks a bunch for the direction HEXiT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.