Need to reinstall XP Pro when upgrading to Dual Xeon

I just recently upgraded my system from a P4 3.2 to dual Xeon 3.0. Just
about the only thing that remained the same were the hard drives which had my
Xp install and a ton of other stuff on it. THe drives are RAID and by some
freak of technological good luck the same SATA Raid driver was on the new
motherboard so my XP system and the the data just popped back up like nothing
was amiss. It seems very stable and I see the quad processors in the device
manager. I have tried grinding it with some intensive apps like Avid (NLE)
and it did not seem to utlize much more than the first porcessor. Other apps
(alright games) like EA Sports NHL utilized all four of the CPUS.

My question is, is this just all too good to be true? Do I need to wipe XP
out and rebuild the system from scratch with a fresh install? I'd love to
get off easy on this one. But I also want to leverage all the CPU horsepower
I added

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
4 answers Last reply
More about need reinstall upgrading dual xeon

    Emmet

    Some applications are not written to utilise more than one processor..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Emmet K" <EmmetK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just recently upgraded my system from a P4 3.2 to dual Xeon 3.0. Just
    > about the only thing that remained the same were the hard drives which had
    > my
    > Xp install and a ton of other stuff on it. THe drives are RAID and by
    > some
    > freak of technological good luck the same SATA Raid driver was on the new
    > motherboard so my XP system and the the data just popped back up like
    > nothing
    > was amiss. It seems very stable and I see the quad processors in the
    > device
    > manager. I have tried grinding it with some intensive apps like Avid
    > (NLE)
    > and it did not seem to utlize much more than the first porcessor. Other
    > apps
    > (alright games) like EA Sports NHL utilized all four of the CPUS.
    >
    > My question is, is this just all too good to be true? Do I need to wipe
    > XP
    > out and rebuild the system from scratch with a fresh install? I'd love to
    > get off easy on this one. But I also want to leverage all the CPU
    > horsepower
    > I added
    >
    > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

    Right, I understand that. But does XP need to be reinstalled from scratch?
    I lucked out and the old non-DP system was on my HD. Do I need to junk it
    and re-install windows and then all my apps?
    Thanks for your help
    Emme

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Emmet
    >
    > Some applications are not written to utilise more than one processor..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Emmet K" <EmmetK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just recently upgraded my system from a P4 3.2 to dual Xeon 3.0. Just
    > > about the only thing that remained the same were the hard drives which had
    > > my
    > > Xp install and a ton of other stuff on it. THe drives are RAID and by
    > > some
    > > freak of technological good luck the same SATA Raid driver was on the new
    > > motherboard so my XP system and the the data just popped back up like
    > > nothing
    > > was amiss. It seems very stable and I see the quad processors in the
    > > device
    > > manager. I have tried grinding it with some intensive apps like Avid
    > > (NLE)
    > > and it did not seem to utlize much more than the first porcessor. Other
    > > apps
    > > (alright games) like EA Sports NHL utilized all four of the CPUS.
    > >
    > > My question is, is this just all too good to be true? Do I need to wipe
    > > XP
    > > out and rebuild the system from scratch with a fresh install? I'd love to
    > > get off easy on this one. But I also want to leverage all the CPU
    > > horsepower
    > > I added
    > >
    > > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

    Emmet

    It is not easy to see what your problem is.. everything is working as it
    should.. like I said, not every program will make use of all of the
    processor power, and some will only use one.. on this basis, why do you want
    to start over?..

    --

    > Right, I understand that. But does XP need to be reinstalled from
    > scratch?
    > I lucked out and the old non-DP system was on my HD. Do I need to junk it
    > and re-install windows and then all my apps?
    > Thanks for your help
    > Emme
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Emmet
    >>
    >> Some applications are not written to utilise more than one processor..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Emmet K" <EmmetK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I just recently upgraded my system from a P4 3.2 to dual Xeon 3.0. Just
    >> > about the only thing that remained the same were the hard drives which
    >> > had
    >> > my
    >> > Xp install and a ton of other stuff on it. THe drives are RAID and by
    >> > some
    >> > freak of technological good luck the same SATA Raid driver was on the
    >> > new
    >> > motherboard so my XP system and the the data just popped back up like
    >> > nothing
    >> > was amiss. It seems very stable and I see the quad processors in the
    >> > device
    >> > manager. I have tried grinding it with some intensive apps like Avid
    >> > (NLE)
    >> > and it did not seem to utlize much more than the first porcessor.
    >> > Other
    >> > apps
    >> > (alright games) like EA Sports NHL utilized all four of the CPUS.
    >> >
    >> > My question is, is this just all too good to be true? Do I need to
    >> > wipe
    >> > XP
    >> > out and rebuild the system from scratch with a fresh install? I'd love
    >> > get off easy on this one. But I also want to leverage all the CPU
    >> > horsepower
    >> > I added
    >> >
    >> > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

    As long as the Computer Type in Device manager says it is some type of
    "Multiprocessor" PC, then you are OK, as you said your RAID drivers were the
    same (as that would be my other concern) you should be good to go.
    As Mike said, most applications bought/used by the home user are not
    designed to use more than one Processor - the developer has to add code to
    check for single/multiprocessor (not hyperthreading) systems and code
    accordingly. Many business/server applications on the other hand, use
    multiprocessors as a norm. Things such as CAD applications, SQL2k, Oracle,
    and the likes, but the licenses become more expensive the more CPU's you
    have.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "Emmet K" <EmmetK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just recently upgraded my system from a P4 3.2 to dual Xeon 3.0. Just
    > about the only thing that remained the same were the hard drives which had
    > my
    > Xp install and a ton of other stuff on it. THe drives are RAID and by
    > some
    > freak of technological good luck the same SATA Raid driver was on the new
    > motherboard so my XP system and the the data just popped back up like
    > nothing
    > was amiss. It seems very stable and I see the quad processors in the
    > device
    > manager. I have tried grinding it with some intensive apps like Avid
    > (NLE)
    > and it did not seem to utlize much more than the first porcessor. Other
    > apps
    > (alright games) like EA Sports NHL utilized all four of the CPUS.
    >
    > My question is, is this just all too good to be true? Do I need to wipe
    > XP
    > out and rebuild the system from scratch with a fresh install? I'd love to
    > get off easy on this one. But I also want to leverage all the CPU
    > horsepower
    > I added
    >
    > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

NAS / RAID Xeon Windows XP