Restore Windows 7 from Windows 8

relientk9999

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hi, I am wanting to upgrade to Windows 8, but before I do, I need to make sure I can go back to Windows 7 and all of my files and everything before I upgrade. I use this laptop for school and I cannot afford for anything to go wrong. I need to do this right.

What exactly do I need to do to prepare for the even that I end up having to go back to Windows 7? I used the Backup and Restore feature to back up all of my files and data, which also created a system image. Then I created a System Repair Disk using a Sony 4.7 GB DVD+R disk.

Is there anything else I need to do to make sure I am ready? And once I am ready, what are the steps I need to follow in order to restore my old Windows 7, if that needs to happen.

Thanks!
Jordan

relientk9999

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply. After thinking about it, I really don't need to. I've been following the Windows 8 process for so long now that I guess I just assumed I would upgrade when it came out. Windows 7 works perfect for me right now so there really is not a need for me to upgrade. Thank you rgd1101.

Unless you see a benifit for going win8 - Don't Remember it's is best to wait at least 6 months after Release, let others find bugs, and give MS time to resolve issues THEN decide on going forward. Windows 7 Upgrade - No dought, I was going win 7 - win 8, I'm taking a wait and see.

I installed the beta win 8 and when ever I chose to Boot win 8, it would write to My Win 7 SSD and create a Minor Problem re booting to Win 7 - Torally unacceptable, THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN - should require MY permission to mess with a 2nd HDD!!!!, do not know if they fixed in final version

Down side is that price may be up, so buying early and just wating may be a good route.

If You have created a system image of your Boot drive and backed up all your data from say Drive "D" ect. and THIS is saved to a HDD that you are NOT putting Win 8 on You should be fine. Personnally while I initially put the "C" drive image on a 2nd Internal Disk drive, i also BACK UP to an external HDD.

relientk9999

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Right. I backed up everything and created a system image and everything in an external hard drive. I have a CD for restoring Windows 7 if necessary.

I did end up upgrading and so far I love it. There are a couple issues where I had to tweak some settings (mainly dealing with proxy and ssl) and it's a little slow due to the add-ons that come standard, but I've removed some of those and it's fine now. There are also a couple other bugs with things like the start interface disappearing, but a simple click of the windows button on my keyboard fixes that.

Overall I love Windows 8 so far. We'll see if any other bugs come up in time, but it's great so far. I love the interface, although it is understandably a completely new way to work the computer.

Thanks guys.