Power supply connectors

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Ok, this is the first time I have tried to put together my own system. So I have what might sound like a silly question.

My power supply has many, many cables coming from it, and I am wondering whether I am connecting them properly.

The cables that have 4 wires and 4 "connections" have a few different female ends on one large cable. The question I have is: should I be attaching multiple things to a single cable (I think I will have to) and if I do have to connect multiple things on one cable is there an optimal way to do this?? Does it really matter if I have 3 or 4 things attached to one cable??

I have also noticed that my case fans attach into these same cables, but once they connect to this cable they also have a new female end which I could attach the next fan into?? Should I attach all of the fans together?? and then attach them to the main cable??

I think this series of questions is really hard to figure out, but if you can make sense of it that would be great, if not, make me ask it again, and maybe next time I will make more sense.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fans don't draw much power, you can chain them together. Hard drives draw a moderately small amount of power, you can connect at least 3 per cable (most cables have 2 connectors however). CD and DVD burners you shouldn't do more than 2 per cable. And video cards that require auxiliary power should have a cable of their own.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>