user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

How can I tell if I currently have the .net framework installed on my
win XP professional system?

I have all service packs and updates installed.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

<user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> How can I tell if I currently have the .net framework installed
> on my win XP professional system?
>
> I have all service packs and updates installed.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steve

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs. You should
see it listed as Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1.

Keep in mind that it would not have been installed unless you
selected the "Custom Install" option on the Windows update site
and clicked on "Select Optional Software" in the left hand
column. You can go here to download the installation file if you
find that it is not already installed:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/framework1_1/

Once the installation completes, run Windows Update to obtain the
latest hotfix for .Net framework.

Nepatsfan

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Thank you very much. I checked the add / remove programs and did not
seem to find it there. I will check again and then consider installing it.

(It appears that the most recent video card update wants .net installed
first before the driver can be updated so I am doing my homework first.
I am glad I looked at the FAQ first!)

Steve

Nepatsfan wrote:

> <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>How can I tell if I currently have the .net framework installed
>>on my win XP professional system?
>>
>>I have all service packs and updates installed.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>
>>Steve
>>

> Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs. You should
> see it listed as Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1.
>
> Keep in mind that it would not have been installed unless you
> selected the "Custom Install" option on the Windows update site
> and clicked on "Select Optional Software" in the left hand
> column. You can go here to download the installation file if you
> find that it is not already installed:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/framework1_1/
>
> Once the installation completes, run Windows Update to obtain the
> latest hotfix for .Net framework.
>
> Nepatsfan

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The folders \windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework will exist.

> Thank you very much. I checked the add / remove programs and did not seem
> to find it there. I will check again and then consider installing it.
>
> (It appears that the most recent video card update wants .net installed
> first before the driver can be updated so I am doing my homework first. I
> am glad I looked at the FAQ first!)
>
> Steve
>
> Nepatsfan wrote:
>
>> <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>>How can I tell if I currently have the .net framework installed on my win
>>>XP professional system?
>>>
>>>I have all service packs and updates installed.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>>Steve
>>>

>> Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs. You should see it
>> listed as Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1.
>>
>> Keep in mind that it would not have been installed unless you selected
>> the "Custom Install" option on the Windows update site and clicked on
>> "Select Optional Software" in the left hand column. You can go here to
>> download the installation file if you find that it is not already
>> installed:
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/framework1_1/
>>
>> Once the installation completes, run Windows Update to obtain the latest
>> hotfix for .Net framework.
>>
>> Nepatsfan

Lately, I've noticed a lot more software requiring the .NET
framework be installed. I guess if you want the latest version,
you don't have a choice. But, if it was needed just to update a
driver for a piece of hardware that's already working properly?
That I might think awhile about.

FYI, I've never run into a problem on any of the computers that
I've installed .NET framework on. The only occasional issue that
I'm aware of is that some users have to redo the settings that
log them onto Windows automatically. That's discussed here:

http://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php

You can download the .NET framework directly from this site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

Good luck

Nepatsfan