is this an okay power supply

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
will a "Thermaltake W0014 Silent Purepower 480 watt" be a good power supply to run my equipment? I want to make sure this will work good for what i'll be and running some future upgrading. There will be no overclocking. This power supply had the best rating on newegg.

1)athlon 64 3000{socket 754}
2)512 mb ddr400 pc3200 crucial ram
3)gigabyte "GA-K8VT800M" K8T800
4)radeon 9700pro or 9800pro 128mb
5)40 gig maxter harddrive{already own}
6)dvd drive and cdr-w rom

If you can think of a better power supply that doesn't go over $60.00 and would be a better choice let me know. This is my first build so i want things that work good.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

bossnoodle

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
NO! I bought two of those same ones, returned them because they SUCK. They're SO loud and SO underpowered. Get an Enermax, SilenX, or PC Power & Cooling. Those TT's are junk thats overpriced.

Oh and dont buy a 9800 pro. Get a 6800nu. Almost the same price but you get almost twice the performance.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bossnoodle on 12/18/04 02:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've heard their 480W unit outputs at least 400W, that's not so bad!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You know anyone who actually needs more than 400W of real power?

Crey

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004
I just put this PS in my new computer. Specs are:
AMD 3500 Winchester
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
eVGA 6800 GT PCI Express
1 Gig Corsair XMS XL (2-2-2-5)
2x 160 Gig Seagate SATA drives with NCQ in Raid 0
Sony Dual Layer DVD Burner
Thermaltake Shark (two 120mm case fans)

Now, I don't have 2 6800 GT PCI Express cards, so I can't run in SLI mode. I suspect that when I do finally get two cards (later on), I'll have to upgrade to a bigger power supply. However, I have not had any problems at all so far. Of course, I've only been running on it for a couple days, so it's early still. However, don't be fooled by the word "Silent" in the product name. It's not, and that's my one big disappointment so far. It's really loud. Now, you can put the knob on it to slow the fans down, but in order to get anywhere near a decent air flow, you have to turn it up enough that it gets pretty loud. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the Antec "TRUE480" 480W Power Supply. There's also a "TRUE480BLUE" version if you want a blue led light. This one is about $10 to $20 more than the thermaltake, but I love the Antec power supply in my wife's computer. Only reason I went with Thermaltake this time is because I got a Thermaltake case and I thought, "What the heck. Let's keep the same brand. And it does say 'Quiet'." It's not quiet, and I wish I had gone Antec. But maybe I'm just showing a little brand loyalty I didn't even know I had until now. The noise is the only big problem I have with the Thermaltake 480 power supply.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Your correct about the sound. Its not to bad, but the fact that they use such a descriptive word in the title is misleading. I got one of those Antecs the other day. It is slighty more stable than my thermaltake"Not that the thermalake was bad" but it is silent in comparing the two. There is a tradeoff however. The Antec puts out some heat, hell it puts out alot of heat inside the case. This would lead me to beleive that its simply the difference in fan design between the two. The heat doesnt affect me at all because my Shark is large enough that it doesnt become an issue. My point is simply that both PSU's are very good, one is louder but it runs much cooler.

aliyavuzozcicek

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
Hi..I bought the 410 watt version of that power suply just 2 month ago.And what i have experienced maybe might happen once in a million.But my 410 watt thermaltake silent power power suply exploded..It really did..

Just wanted to share this...