Battlefield 3 - How will my pc do?

Hey there.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to pc's. Had a friend of mine putting this one together a few years ago (Used to be good! :P). However, I'm unsure about its current abilities when it comes to games and battlefield 3 in particulair.

Here are my specs:
System Information
------------------

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: P5KC
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/25/08 18:03:13 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 3328MB RAM
Page File: 1689MB used, 3521MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
It's the ATI Radeon HD 4850 one.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks a lot :).

Regards,
Guido.
12 answers Last reply
More about battlefield
  1. not bad, medium at reasonable resolution. upgrade the gpu and you'll be fine.
    Except the big BUT, it won't run on XP. Memory is a little on the low side.
  2. your computer stats should be able to play it. im not so sure about the cpu but it should

here is the minimum requirements

Processor: 2GHZ Dual Core (Core 2 Duo 2.4GHZ or Athlon x2 2.7GHZ)
    Memory: 2GB RAM
    Hard drive: 20GB
    Graphics card AMD: DirextX 10.1 compatible with 512MB RAM (ATI Radion 3000, 4000, 5000 or 6000 series, with ATI Radion 3870 or higher performance)
    Graphics card Nvidia: DirectX 10.0 compatible with 512MB RAM (Nvidia GeForce 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 or 500 series with Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT or higher performance)
  3. shanky887614 said:
    your computer stats should be able to play it. im not so sure about the cpu but it should

here is the minimum requirements

Processor: 2GHZ Dual Core (Core 2 Duo 2.4GHZ or Athlon x2 2.7GHZ)
    Memory: 2GB RAM
    Hard drive: 20GB
    Graphics card AMD: DirextX 10.1 compatible with 512MB RAM (ATI Radion 3000, 4000, 5000 or 6000 series, with ATI Radion 3870 or higher performance)
    Graphics card Nvidia: DirectX 10.0 compatible with 512MB RAM (Nvidia GeForce 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 or 500 series with Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT or higher performance)

Note the OS

It requires DX 10, not available on XP
  4. Ooo wow.
    Haha, I was happy to read that it could handle medium.

Then I saw your big "BUT".... and kinda got a bit disappointed.
    I got Battlefield 3 on my PS3, I like it there, but due to the fact some of my friends got it on the PC now, I wanted to play on the pc as well.

When I put this PC together with a friend of mine, I decided I didn't want Vista, not in a thousand years. This is just a beautiful way to see what happens if you don't accept changes, lol.

Gonna be quite costly huh? To upgrade it to Windows 7.

Could I be better off replacing some parts of my computer + getting windows 7, to make it work for a few more years. OR Would getting a complete new pc be a better thing to do ?

Guido
  5. you're so close to having playable system that just upgrading the OS would be best, 64bit win7. Then you'll have all 4GB to play with, and a Q6600 with a 4850 should be ok, certainly cards of that generation can run it.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,review-32308-8.html
  6. Quote:
    Could I be better off replacing some parts of my computer + getting windows 7, to make it work for a few more years. OR Would getting a complete new pc be a better thing to do ?

what does getting win7 have to do with computer hardware?

if you have the money you can do the new build, if you don't you will have to settle for upgrades. This is not some galactic truth, it's common sense.
  7. 13thmonkey said:
    you're so close to having playable system that just upgrading the OS would be best, 64bit win7. Then you'll have all 4GB to play with, and a Q6600 with a 4850 should be ok, certainly cards of that generation can run it.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,review-32308-8.html

Probably a really noob, if not annoying question, but.. if I want to put Windows 7 on my pc.. is it a matter of inserting a disc and installing, thereby keeping all my files?
    Or will I have to start with a clean harddisk (in which case I gotta transfer some files xD)?

Thanks 13thmonkey, I really appreciate your help :).
  8. AntiZig said:
    what does getting win7 have to do with computer hardware?

if you have the money you can do the new build, if you don't you will have to settle for upgrades. This is not some galactic truth, it's common sense.

BF3 requires Vista or better, he's got XP. With Win7, it will run to a reasonable degree. Should he then want a better experience then he can go through some incremental upgrades, starting with GPU, then moving onto mobo+cpu+ram.
  9. Gietertjuh said:
    Probably a really noob, if not annoying question, but.. if I want to put Windows 7 on my pc.. is it a matter of inserting a disc and installing, thereby keeping all my files?
    Or will I have to start with a clean harddisk (in which case I gotta transfer some files xD)?

Thanks 13thmonkey, I really appreciate your help :).

I think that you can upgrade from xp to win7 32bit, but you'll want 64bit really, so backup everything to another drive, and external perhaps (it'll be a useful device for future backups), then insert disk, download mobo drivers from your mobo maker, its not a difficult process.
  10. 13thmonkey said:
    BF3 requires Vista or better, he's got XP. With Win7, it will run to a reasonable degree. Should he then want a better experience then he can go through some incremental upgrades, starting with GPU, then moving onto mobo+cpu+ram.

sorry, my post wasn't directed at yours, edited it for clarity.
  11. AntiZig said:
    sorry, my post wasn't directed at yours, edited it for clarity.

No Problem
    It was a rather odd range of possible next steps, from a pricey win7 upgrade to a full pc replacement.
  12. You cannot upgrade from xp to 7. You have to either do a custom install or upgrade to vista then to 7. I recommend the former.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Battlefield Video Games