Sign in with
Your question

System Lags on all games

Last response: in Video Games
January 23, 2012 4:18:42 PM

I have a new system that I built a few weeks ago and I have been having problems with every game I try to play. Some games are playable but barely, others only have small problems, and some are completely unplayable. The major problems are really long load times and lag or low framerates with sometimes several seconds between screen updates. I have windows 7 installed on the SDD and I run the games from another internal drive, though I've tried loading steam on the SSD and there us usually very little improvement. The games that I have played include the following
Arkham City- ok some lag
Assassin's creed 2- fair amount of lag
GTA IV - unplayable due to long load times and lag, I've tried to adjust the graphics settings but it sometimes times out before it is redrawn.
Empire: Total War- semi-playable but slow
Portal 2- really long load times and some lag
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - some lag

Here's my system
AMD FX-6100 overclocked to 3.9GHZ
ASUS Nvidia GTX 580
16 GB Ram 1600
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 Motherboard
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD For Windows
Western Digital Caviar Black Sata 6GB/s 2TB for Games
750W power supply

I've never had these problems on another machine and I'm at my wits end trying to figure them out any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : system lags games

January 23, 2012 5:04:17 PM

undo your overclock and try then. if your GPU has a factory overclock, undo it as well.

Check your temps, check your connections, fans, vents, etc.

what resolution are you running the games at?

my guess is either you have some conflict or some faulty hardware
January 23, 2012 5:58:16 PM

your pc should run it fine

assasins creed 2 plays fine on my old pc

socket 775 e7600 - dual core 3ghz cpu

hd 4670

make sure your anti-virus isnt scanning in the background that really made my game laggy a few days ago before i disabled scheduled scans

Related resources
January 23, 2012 6:31:00 PM

I don;t know if it helps but I've used 3dMark11 to benchmark the pc and the comparison rankings put my computer ahead of most of the others tested. score was around 5800-5900
January 23, 2012 7:17:30 PM

AntiZig said:
undo your overclock and try then. if your GPU has a factory overclock, undo it as well.

Check your temps, check your connections, fans, vents, etc.

what resolution are you running the games at?

my guess is either you have some conflict or some faulty hardware

+1

I'd also recommend updating all your drivers if you haven't done so already.
January 23, 2012 9:18:15 PM

I undid the overclocking, checked all of the connections and vents, everything seems to be fine, its not really even warm in the case. I did however find that if I let GTA IV (the game that was the final straw for me) sit for a couple of minutes after loading a saved game that it ran almost perfect, so it seems to be a loading problem.
!