fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
Ok so this is probably a dumb question. but i recently bought a new power supply. It is a dual fan.. one of the top and one on the front. thats my question though. I noticed the psu on my other machine was the other way, so then my quesion is, should the fan be blowing out the bottom? i know it seems stupid. why would they put a fan that doesnt have any room to blow stuff out. but maybe thats why my cpu has been running so hot. thanks

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Are you sure it blows out? It should pull air from the case into the PSU while the fan on the rear exhausts it out the back... Maybe you need to reverse the fan.

....WW (5.0)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The bottom fan shouldn't blow "out of the bottom", it should blow out of the back. As in, by moving air through the power supply and out the back of the case.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

As mentioned above your PSU should suck hot air away from the CPU and blow it out the back, meaning the bottom one should blow into the PSU.

What kind of PSU did you have, I had a PowMax before that the fans where backwards, and blew hot air into the case.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

Pavelow

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
bossnoodle,

If it was upside down AND backwords, he would not be able to plug in the unit once installed! I hope you were joking.

Pavelow

Dell 8250, i850e 4xAGP 2.4ghzCPU 512mbPC1066RDRAM 120gb & 200gbATA
GeF4MX420 SBL5.1 SamSung48xCDRW LiteOn851SDVDRW
RJ-45 to Compaq 9660, 233mhzCPU 104mbFPRAM 12mbVoodoo2 Win95a

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
One fan should be facing downwards (towards the CPU), the other should be facing out of the case.
Air is pulled up through the fan facing downwards, then out of the case by the other fan.