Boot w/o keyboard on IPAQ Desktop

I have a version 1, legacy-free IPAQ Desktop system (PIII/500). Currently I
am using it with FreeBSD 4.10 using a USB keyboard and mouse. However I
would like to run this system headless (no keyboard, mouse or monitor). On
generic systems this simply requires turning off in the BIOS stopping for
errors, such as the lack of a keyboard. There is no similar setting on this
system, so the minute I pull the keyboard off and reboot I get an error.

So, is there a way to force the BIOS to ignore the keyboard error (or better
yet not look for it), or failing that is there any way to fool the system to
think there is a keyboard attached? Some kind of a USB loopback that looks
like a keyboard to the BIOS (similar to what a KVM does)?

Thanks,
Peter (pbakoNOSPAM@2alpha.com)
2 answers Last reply
More about boot keyboard ipaq desktop

    You may have to use a keyboard on that model. I know of no way to keep the
    iPAQ from searching for one.You might try to find a mini-keyboard (notebook
    style) with a USB interface and use it.
    HH

    "Peter Bako" <peter.bako@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have a version 1, legacy-free IPAQ Desktop system (PIII/500). Currently
    > am using it with FreeBSD 4.10 using a USB keyboard and mouse. However I
    > would like to run this system headless (no keyboard, mouse or monitor).
    On
    > generic systems this simply requires turning off in the BIOS stopping for
    > errors, such as the lack of a keyboard. There is no similar setting on
    this
    > system, so the minute I pull the keyboard off and reboot I get an error.
    >
    > So, is there a way to force the BIOS to ignore the keyboard error (or
    better
    > yet not look for it), or failing that is there any way to fool the system
    > think there is a keyboard attached? Some kind of a USB loopback that
    looks
    > like a keyboard to the BIOS (similar to what a KVM does)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter (pbakoNOSPAM@2alpha.com)

    Yeah, I've though of that... I'd still rather come up with a way to fool
    the system into thinking it has a keyboard plugged in.

    Does anyone know where I can get (or have) the circuit used by KVM systems
    into sending a false keyboard signal to a USB machine?

    Thanks,
    Peter

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You may have to use a keyboard on that model. I know of no way to keep the
    > iPAQ from searching for one.You might try to find a mini-keyboard
    (notebook
    > style) with a USB interface and use it.
    > HH
    >

    > "Peter Bako" <peter.bako@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a version 1, legacy-free IPAQ Desktop system (PIII/500).
    Currently
    > > am using it with FreeBSD 4.10 using a USB keyboard and mouse. However I
    > > would like to run this system headless (no keyboard, mouse or monitor).
    > On
    > > generic systems this simply requires turning off in the BIOS stopping
    for
    > > errors, such as the lack of a keyboard. There is no similar setting on
    > this
    > > system, so the minute I pull the keyboard off and reboot I get an error.
    > >
    > > So, is there a way to force the BIOS to ignore the keyboard error (or
    > better
    > > yet not look for it), or failing that is there any way to fool the
    system
    > > think there is a keyboard attached? Some kind of a USB loopback that
    > looks
    > > like a keyboard to the BIOS (similar to what a KVM does)?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Peter (pbakoNOSPAM@2alpha.com)

Compaq Desktops Ipaq Keyboards Computers