Authorized dealer or Verizon store??

Last response: in Network Providers
January 14, 2005 12:48:35 AM

I've been with Verizon for 2 years and it's now time for me to upgrade
(new with 2) my telephone. I originally bought my phone from an
authorized dealer rather than a Verizon company store. At that time, the
price was a bit less for a phone and accessories were thrown in. I had
no problem doing it that way.

But now, Verizon said that it's not good to buy from an authorized
dealer because the warranty not the same, etc. etc.

Is there any reason to avoid buying from an authorized dealer or should
I stick with the "Company Store". The authorized dealer once again adds
free accessories that are not free from Verizon stores.

Thanks,
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:48:36 AM

paula wrote:

> But now, Verizon said that it's not good to buy from an authorized
> dealer because the warranty not the same, etc. etc.
>
> Is there any reason to avoid buying from an authorized dealer or
> should I stick with the "Company Store". The authorized dealer once
> again adds free accessories that are not free from Verizon stores.
>
> Thanks,

Real simple.. if you buy from an authorized dealer, the verizon employees at
the verizon store don't make the money...Maybe you should not only buy at
the verizon store so the people there can make a commission, but hand out
$20 bills as tips to all the employees... :)

To be fair, I work for an authorized dealer, and can say absolutely, that if
they told you the warranty was different buying from an authorized dealer
rather than a company store, then they absolutely positively LIED to you. I
hope you have it in writing or taped the phone calls... I would LOVE to sue
their butts off...
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:48:37 AM

Peter Pan wrote:

> paula wrote:
>

> > But now, Verizon said that it's not good to buy from an authorized
> > dealer because the warranty not the same, etc. etc.
> >
> > Is there any reason to avoid buying from an authorized dealer or
> > should I stick with the "Company Store". The authorized dealer once
> > again adds free accessories that are not free from Verizon stores.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Real simple.. if you buy from an authorized dealer, the verizon employees at
> the verizon store don't make the money...Maybe you should not only buy at
> the verizon store so the people there can make a commission, but hand out
> $20 bills as tips to all the employees... :)
>
> To be fair, I work for an authorized dealer, and can say absolutely, that if
> they told you the warranty was different buying from an authorized dealer
> rather than a company store, then they absolutely positively LIED to you. I
> hope you have it in writing or taped the phone calls... I would LOVE to sue
> their butts off...

But watch out for the small guys - whose prices are often higher.
Compare big guys to vzw stores. Also big authorized guys sometimes have
promotions.

LB
January 14, 2005 12:48:37 AM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:34oc6hF4cgfghU1@individual.net...
> To be fair, I work for an authorized dealer, and can say absolutely, that if they told you the warranty was different buying from
> an authorized dealer rather than a company store, then they absolutely positively LIED to you.

I was under the impression that if you bought from Radio Shack then you
had to get warranty support at Radio Shack, and VZW stores would not deal
with warranty issues with the phone. (The theory was that RS gets the
phones cheaper because they deal with warranty issues.)

Roger
January 14, 2005 1:55:47 AM

Can you get the $100 (New Every Two) rebate if you buy from an authorized
dealer? I heard you can only get that directly through Verizon (online or
at a Verizon store).

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> paula wrote:
>

>> But now, Verizon said that it's not good to buy from an authorized
>> dealer because the warranty not the same, etc. etc.
>>
>> Is there any reason to avoid buying from an authorized dealer or
>> should I stick with the "Company Store". The authorized dealer once
>> again adds free accessories that are not free from Verizon stores.
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Real simple.. if you buy from an authorized dealer, the verizon employees
> at the verizon store don't make the money...Maybe you should not only buy
> at the verizon store so the people there can make a commission, but hand
> out $20 bills as tips to all the employees... :)
>
> To be fair, I work for an authorized dealer, and can say absolutely, that
> if they told you the warranty was different buying from an authorized
> dealer rather than a company store, then they absolutely positively LIED
> to you. I hope you have it in writing or taped the phone calls... I would
> LOVE to sue their butts off...

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 1:55:48 AM

That was not the question or the statement... She said that she was told
that the WARRANTEE on verizon phones wasn't as good from resellers as
verizon..

To answer your q tho, The new every two discount may or may not be offered
by non verizon stores on the phone itself.. The dealer may apply for a
credit from verizon, but doesn't have to offer it. IE some you can and some
you can't. If you want a laugh, some models of phones you can actually buy
new from non verizon places on sale for LESS than you can get from a verizon
store, even with the NE2 credit applied!

J wrote:
> Can you get the $100 (New Every Two) rebate if you buy from an
> authorized dealer? I heard you can only get that directly through
> Verizon (online or at a Verizon store).
>
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> paula wrote:
>>

>>> But now, Verizon said that it's not good to buy from an authorized
>>> dealer because the warranty not the same, etc. etc.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason to avoid buying from an authorized dealer or
>>> should I stick with the "Company Store". The authorized dealer once
>>> again adds free accessories that are not free from Verizon stores.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>
>> Real simple.. if you buy from an authorized dealer, the verizon
>> employees at the verizon store don't make the money...Maybe you
>> should not only buy at the verizon store so the people there can
>> make a commission, but hand out $20 bills as tips to all the
>> employees... :)  To be fair, I work for an authorized dealer, and can say
>> absolutely,
>> that if they told you the warranty was different buying from an
>> authorized dealer rather than a company store, then they absolutely
>> positively LIED to you. I hope you have it in writing or taped the
>> phone calls... I would LOVE to sue their butts off...
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 6:49:24 AM

I have always done business through the VZW store. They seem to know more
then the agents & you get better deals too.

> That was not the question or the statement... She said that she was told
> that the WARRANTEE on verizon phones wasn't as good from resellers as
> verizon..
>
> To answer your q tho, The new every two discount may or may not be offered
> by non verizon stores on the phone itself.. The dealer may apply for a
> credit from verizon, but doesn't have to offer it. IE some you can and
> some you can't. If you want a laugh, some models of phones you can
> actually buy new from non verizon places on sale for LESS than you can get
> from a verizon store, even with the NE2 credit applied!
>

> J wrote:
>> Can you get the $100 (New Every Two) rebate if you buy from an
>> authorized dealer? I heard you can only get that directly through
>> Verizon (online or at a Verizon store).
>>
>> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

>>> Real simple.. if you buy from an authorized dealer, the verizon
>>> employees at the verizon store don't make the money...Maybe you
>>> should not only buy at the verizon store so the people there can
>>> make a commission, but hand out $20 bills as tips to all the
>>> employees... :)  To be fair, I work for an authorized dealer, and can say
>>> absolutely,
>>> that if they told you the warranty was different buying from an
>>> authorized dealer rather than a company store, then they absolutely
>>> positively LIED to you. I hope you have it in writing or taped the
>>> phone calls... I would LOVE to sue their butts off...

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 8:16:03 PM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> paula wrote:
>

> > But now, Verizon said that it's not good to buy from an authorized
> > dealer because the warranty not the same, etc. etc.
> >
> > Is there any reason to avoid buying from an authorized dealer or
> > should I stick with the "Company Store". The authorized dealer once
> > again adds free accessories that are not free from Verizon stores.

I tend to recommend going to the direct store because if you do,
there are no questions about the 15 day satisfaction guarantee or any kind
of warranty work, because if you buy from a VZW direct store, then any VZW
store will service the warranty and replace the phone if necessary, which we
can't do if you purchase from an authorized dealer, nor can we tell you what
they will do in service of the warranty or with the satisfaction guarantee.

> Real simple.. if you buy from an authorized dealer, the verizon employees
at
> the verizon store don't make the money...Maybe you should not only buy at
> the verizon store so the people there can make a commission, but hand out
> $20 bills as tips to all the employees... :)
>
> To be fair, I work for an authorized dealer, and can say absolutely, that
if
> they told you the warranty was different buying from an authorized dealer
> rather than a company store, then they absolutely positively LIED to you.
> hope you have it in writing or taped the phone calls... I would LOVE to
sue
> their butts off...

The warranty irself is no different, as it is a 1 year
manufacturer's warranty that each phone comes with. The way that the seller
services that warranty can be very different from the way that a VZW store
services it. My advice to customers is to check those policies with the
authorized dealer to be sure that if there are any issues, the store will
make good for the customer, otherwise go ahead and go to a VZW company
store. And yes, I work for the company in the Northeast Region as a
Customer Service Coordinator in a group called the Northeast Enterprise
Support Team.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 4:03:59 AM

Buy from the person who supports you best. If you like the corporate store,
and when go there, you leave "delighted", then spend your money there. It
is all about support, service, information, knowledge.

I give that to all my customers, and I'm an agent. On the otherhand, if
you've enjoyed those same benefits from a corporate store, then go there.

A story:
- a customer came in wanting to do data. They have been to 7 stores, and
none knew what they wanted, and no one would actually set it up for them, so
they could see it in action, on THEIR laptop. I did all of that, and the
customer was pleased. However, as we didn't have the item in stock, and
they were "cheap", they bought on the internet an after market data kit, and
asked me to help make it work for them (duh). I did, it worked, but as it
was cheap/aftermarket, he wanted more. So, after doing all these things for
him for "free", he decided to get the mobile office kit, as I did not have
it in stock, he went to another location.

Here was my message: he already knows that I/we/this location knows more
about phones, technology et all, but we may not have it in stock. If he
goes to any other location, and it doesn't work, then ask them for help, not
me.

Buy from the person who gives you the support that makes you happy. If you
get a great price, terrific, but if it costs you a few dollars to get the
best/most reliable service from "whomever", then I'd suggest you guy it from
them.

Just my opinion of course... I'd like you to buy it from me, but buy it from
whoever gives you the value that you think is most important.

--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you. Worred about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.

"RiftMaven" <riftmaven@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > paula wrote:
> >

> > > But now, Verizon said that it's not good to buy from an authorized
> > > dealer because the warranty not the same, etc. etc.
> > >
> > > Is there any reason to avoid buying from an authorized dealer or
> > > should I stick with the "Company Store". The authorized dealer once
> > > again adds free accessories that are not free from Verizon stores.
> > >
> I tend to recommend going to the direct store because if you do,
> there are no questions about the 15 day satisfaction guarantee or any kind
> of warranty work, because if you buy from a VZW direct store, then any VZW
> store will service the warranty and replace the phone if necessary, which
we
> can't do if you purchase from an authorized dealer, nor can we tell you
what
> they will do in service of the warranty or with the satisfaction
guarantee.

> > Real simple.. if you buy from an authorized dealer, the verizon
employees
> at
> > the verizon store don't make the money...Maybe you should not only buy
at
> > the verizon store so the people there can make a commission, but hand
out
> > $20 bills as tips to all the employees... :)
> >
> > To be fair, I work for an authorized dealer, and can say absolutely,
that
> if
> > they told you the warranty was different buying from an authorized
dealer
> > rather than a company store, then they absolutely positively LIED to
you.
> > hope you have it in writing or taped the phone calls... I would LOVE to
> sue
> > their butts off...
>
> The warranty irself is no different, as it is a 1 year
> manufacturer's warranty that each phone comes with. The way that the
seller
> services that warranty can be very different from the way that a VZW store
> services it. My advice to customers is to check those policies with the
> authorized dealer to be sure that if there are any issues, the store will
> make good for the customer, otherwise go ahead and go to a VZW company
> store. And yes, I work for the company in the Northeast Region as a
> Customer Service Coordinator in a group called the Northeast Enterprise
> Support Team.

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:38:39 PM

I strongly recommend using an authorized dealer. The corporate store
where I live in New Hampshire treats people like cattle. When you walk
in, you have to put your name on a list and wait, sometimes hours, to
talk to someone in sales.

I can't believe how badly they run their tech support desk. It's always
crowded and you have to stand in line and wait while the technicians
ignore you. It's like a dream world where everyone moves in slow motion.

I've been back there three times now with a defective phone and I'm
furious. The first two times I waited patiently in line. Each time, the
tecnician insisted on reprogramming it, which I had already done myself,
and which accomplished nothing.

The third time, I stood in line for a long time watching the obviouly
baffled technician scratch his head while working on a phone belonging
to a teen-age girl who happened to have *two* other cell phones in her
bag. She was talking on one and dropped the other. I finally asked the
technician how much longer he intended to spend on that phone. The
answer was "I don't know." I ran out of time and had to leave.

I called the store manager and told him that I've already waited hours
to get this expensive phone fixed and that I want a new one. He told me
I had to wait in line for the technician to look at the phone. That's
it. I'm dumping the service and going elsewhere.

FWIW, I went into the authorized dealer on the other side of town. There
was no wait and I got treated like a human being. They couldn't replace
my phone because they have no relationship to the corporate store but
were friendly and gave me lots of good advice.

Barry

In article <T0CFd.5982$pZ4.2102@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
paula@NOmoreSPAM.com says...
> I've been with Verizon for 2 years and it's now time for me to upgrade
> (new with 2) my telephone. I originally bought my phone from an
> authorized dealer rather than a Verizon company store. At that time, the
> price was a bit less for a phone and accessories were thrown in. I had
> no problem doing it that way.
>
> But now, Verizon said that it's not good to buy from an authorized
> dealer because the warranty not the same, etc. etc.
>
> Is there any reason to avoid buying from an authorized dealer or should
> I stick with the "Company Store". The authorized dealer once again adds
> free accessories that are not free from Verizon stores.
>
> Thanks,

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 4:52:02 PM

First two year contract purchased from RS. When charger circuit failed
in one phone within warranty period, RS would not deal with it without
the "extended" warranty and I had to track down an authorized Nokia
service center to have the problem verified, shipped to Nokia in Fla,
returned, and picked up (interestingly, the service center was an ATT
Wireless shop).

Second 2 year contract was negotiated at Verizon kiosk in mall. When
one of the phones went on the fritz some months later (under
warranty), took it to nearby Verizon service center, waited in line
for 10 minutes, and had a new (probably reconditioned) phone handed
over.
No questions. No wait.

I kept one of the original phones as a backup and when the second phone
failed, switched service to the working model online, so there was no
loss of service.

Here in the DC area, I definitely find the VZW store a better deal.
Cheers,
Mike Davis
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 7:32:50 PM

Be advised that if you use an authorized dealer rather than a 'real' Verizon
store you are not covered by the Verizon Worry Free Guarantee.
The 15 days Verizon will give you to return a phone for any reason is quite
generous compared to what a reseller will give you. The criminals at
Wireless World
gave me something like 24 hours or 20 min of talk time. When I realized my
phone was a lemon they told me to pound sand. I have been waiting very
patiently for the year to
be up so I can walk into a Verizon store and upgrade. I may be one of the
catlle but I will be a cow with coverage.

Joe

"Barry Rogoff" <rogoff@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>I strongly recommend using an authorized dealer. The corporate store
> where I live in New Hampshire treats people like cattle. When you walk
> in, you have to put your name on a list and wait, sometimes hours, to
> talk to someone in sales.
>
> I can't believe how badly they run their tech support desk. It's always
> crowded and you have to stand in line and wait while the technicians
> ignore you. It's like a dream world where everyone moves in slow motion.
>
> I've been back there three times now with a defective phone and I'm
> furious. The first two times I waited patiently in line. Each time, the
> tecnician insisted on reprogramming it, which I had already done myself,
> and which accomplished nothing.
>
> The third time, I stood in line for a long time watching the obviouly
> baffled technician scratch his head while working on a phone belonging
> to a teen-age girl who happened to have *two* other cell phones in her
> bag. She was talking on one and dropped the other. I finally asked the
> technician how much longer he intended to spend on that phone. The
> answer was "I don't know." I ran out of time and had to leave.
>
> I called the store manager and told him that I've already waited hours
> to get this expensive phone fixed and that I want a new one. He told me
> I had to wait in line for the technician to look at the phone. That's
> it. I'm dumping the service and going elsewhere.
>
> FWIW, I went into the authorized dealer on the other side of town. There
> was no wait and I got treated like a human being. They couldn't replace
> my phone because they have no relationship to the corporate store but
> were friendly and gave me lots of good advice.
>
> Barry
>

> In article <T0CFd.5982$pZ4.2102@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> paula@NOmoreSPAM.com says...
>> I've been with Verizon for 2 years and it's now time for me to upgrade
>> (new with 2) my telephone. I originally bought my phone from an
>> authorized dealer rather than a Verizon company store. At that time, the
>> price was a bit less for a phone and accessories were thrown in. I had
>> no problem doing it that way.
>>
>> But now, Verizon said that it's not good to buy from an authorized
>> dealer because the warranty not the same, etc. etc.
>>
>> Is there any reason to avoid buying from an authorized dealer or should
>> I stick with the "Company Store". The authorized dealer once again adds
>> free accessories that are not free from Verizon stores.
>>
>> Thanks,

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:09:30 AM

Biases of course, may I offer a counter-point. We (authorized agent) extend
to the customer the 15 day worry free gaurantee. The fine print is that we
do ask that the phone have less than 100 minutes used on its return, or we
will not accept it. As Verizon, it should also have the UPC code and
materials intact.

To the person who waited in line, and then went to an agent who treated them
nice: All agents have the ability to request a FRU, (Field Replacement
Unit). As a matter of fact, YOU can call verizon, explain the problem, and
ask for a FRU as well. We specfically buy our phones from Verizon so that
we can give this same value/warranty to the customer as from a corporate
store. We can not speak for other agents, but shop around, buy from the
person that gives you the best value/service..

In the end, it depends on who you buy the phone from; we pay a little bit
more for our equipment by electing to purchase from vz, so the worry free
and service from Verizon is extended to the customer. We're not trying to
do it better... we just don't want to give you less :-) dr

--

"ChefCharming" <chefcharming@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > were friendly and gave me lots of good advice.
> >
> > Barry
> >

> > In article <T0CFd.5982$pZ4.2102@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> > paula@NOmoreSPAM.com says...
> >> I've been with Verizon for 2 years and it's now time for me to upgrade
> >> (new with 2) my telephone. I originally bought my phone from an
> >> authorized dealer rather than a Verizon company store. At that time,
the
> >> price was a bit less for a phone and accessories were thrown in. I had
> >> no problem doing it that way.
> >>
> >> But now, Verizon said that it's not good to buy from an authorized
> >> dealer because the warranty not the same, etc. etc.
> >>
> >> Is there any reason to avoid buying from an authorized dealer or should
> >> I stick with the "Company Store". The authorized dealer once again adds
> >> free accessories that are not free from Verizon stores.

January 1, 2013 4:19:47 AM

I bought my Samsung SIII from an authorized dealer and lost it months later. I went to a verizon store and they couldn't do anything for me because I got the insurance at an authorized dealer. There is nobody to sue here. The insurances have different names, have differences in the way they handle claims and are definitely different.

Quote:

paula wrote:

> But now, Verizon said that it's not good to buy from an authorized
> dealer because the warranty not the same, etc. etc.
>
> Is there any reason to avoid buying from an authorized dealer or
> should I stick with the "Company Store". The authorized dealer once
> again adds free accessories that are not free from Verizon stores.
>
> Thanks,

Real simple.. if you buy from an authorized dealer, the verizon employees at
the verizon store don't make the money...Maybe you should not only buy at
the verizon store so the people there can make a commission, but hand out
$20 bills as tips to all the employees... :)

To be fair, I work for an authorized dealer, and can say absolutely, that if
they told you the warranty was different buying from an authorized dealer
rather than a company store, then they absolutely positively LIED to you. I
hope you have it in writing or taped the phone calls... I would LOVE to sue
their butts off...

April 8, 2013 11:47:44 AM

no, thats wrong. authorized retailer uses same programs and gets same phones
and warranty is not from verizon its from the phone manufacture, so it doesnt make sense.
i think its better to help out small business than big corps.

!