Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

New headset for gaming/music?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 24, 2012 1:33:07 AM

So my Turtle Beach DPX21s recently broke. I'm probably not going to buy a Turtle Beach headset ever again unless the build quality increases. However, I still do like the DSS. With that being said, what would be the best headset for me? Here are some things I'm looking for:

- PS3 and PC support
- heavy bass for music (mostly dubstep)
- under $125ish
- works with iPod
- stylish would be awesome
- detachable cable and either detachable or retractable cable

I don't need all these things, but I'd like a headset that has most of these features. I've found a few so far and I need some feedback:

- ASUS Vulcan ANC
- SteelSeries Siberia 7H
- Sennheiser PC350
- Razer Tiamat 2.2
- Sharkoon X-Tactic SR

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :) 

More about : headset gaming music

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
January 24, 2012 1:59:21 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Profession... = 150 dollars

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Profession... = 130 dollars

Those are the best bass headphones in your price range. Get a clip-on mic for 7 or 8 bucks. They're also quite nice for gaming in general, although not quite as good for gaming as the Audio Technica AD700's (which lack the heavy bass you're after). Difference between those 2 models is the cord (coiled vs straight cord).

"Gaming" headsets are just too far behind the curve when it comes to sound quality, and the "true 5.1" multiple drivers in each cup-style gaming headphones are a marketing gimmick. I actually just tried a pair of tritton ax pro's recently to see what I thought about the positional queues. It was as I expected. They were worse (less precise positioning) than soundcard surround sound emulation + strong stereo headphones. The 2nd problem is that these true 5.1 headphones are using very small drivers (since they have to fit 4 in each cup). This makes the sound pretty thin and I wasn't too impressed.

That said, I'm not an audiophile and I have actually lost a lot of my hearing over the years in helicopters. So if I can tell the difference, it's pretty dramatic.
Share
January 24, 2012 3:12:51 AM

casualcolors said:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Profession... = 150 dollars

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Profession... = 130 dollars

Those are the best bass headphones in your price range. Get a clip-on mic for 7 or 8 bucks. They're also quite nice for gaming in general, although not quite as good for gaming as the Audio Technica AD700's (which lack the heavy bass you're after). Difference between those 2 models is the cord (coiled vs straight cord).

"Gaming" headsets are just too far behind the curve when it comes to sound quality, and the "true 5.1" multiple drivers in each cup-style gaming headphones are a marketing gimmick. I actually just tried a pair of tritton ax pro's recently to see what I thought about the positional queues. It was as I expected. They were worse (less precise positioning) than soundcard surround sound emulation + strong stereo headphones. The 2nd problem is that these true 5.1 headphones are using very small drivers (since they have to fit 4 in each cup). This makes the sound pretty thin and I wasn't too impressed.

That said, I'm not an audiophile and I have actually lost a lot of my hearing over the years in helicopters. So if I can tell the difference, it's pretty dramatic.
Thanks so much for your reply! I get what you're saying about the "5.1 surround sound." Right now, I get the same results from my stereo headphones versus my "surround sound" headphones. Is the cord really the only difference between those two models? Also, the only problem is those are over my budget, although I could probably squeeze out a few extra dollars for them...
Score
0
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 24, 2012 1:23:52 PM

If you really want the heavy bass, I would recommend the M50s's. It would probably be worth waiting an extra paycheck or whatever you have to do, to end up with a higher quality product that you will be using years down the road. That's my 2 cents anyway.
Score
0
January 24, 2012 10:10:38 PM

casualcolors said:
If you really want the heavy bass, I would recommend the M50s's. It would probably be worth waiting an extra paycheck or whatever you have to do, to end up with a higher quality product that you will be using years down the road. That's my 2 cents anyway.
If I end up getting the M50s, which microphone should I get? Because I'll need it for commentaries/tutorials for YouTube in addition to gaming...
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
January 24, 2012 10:21:59 PM

I cannot tell you too much about mic quality, sorry. I can tell you that there are far more quality mics unattached to headsets than attached. I've heard the zalman clip-on mic is pretty good but you should really dig around on newegg and amazon for velcro mic booms and things like that to see what would give the best sound quality.
Score
0
January 24, 2012 10:49:25 PM

casualcolors said:
I cannot tell you too much about mic quality, sorry. I can tell you that there are far more quality mics unattached to headsets than attached. I've heard the zalman clip-on mic is pretty good but you should really dig around on newegg and amazon for velcro mic booms and things like that to see what would give the best sound quality.
do you think it would be possible to use something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Microph...
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
January 24, 2012 11:03:37 PM

If you stick to analog, you can plug straight into your soundcard. If you use USB I believe it still has to run through realtek so you're still spending cpu cycles on it, when you could otherwise disable it entirely.
Score
0
January 24, 2012 11:35:59 PM

casualcolors said:
If you stick to analog, you can plug straight into your soundcard. If you use USB I believe it still has to run through realtek so you're still spending cpu cycles on it, when you could otherwise disable it entirely.
Ok awesome thanks for all your help :) 
Score
0
January 24, 2012 11:36:10 PM

Best answer selected by yougotjaked.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
January 25, 2012 7:52:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!