system tray icons have become tiny

I hope I'm in the right place here. There is almost nothing in the KB on the
system tray at all and nothing in the discussion groups on my problem. About
2 days ago while I was booting the computer in the normal way, I noticed that
all the icons in the system tray were about half the size or less than
normal. I assumed it would go away by the next reboot, but it is still there
several reboots later. Any ideas?
10 answers Last reply
More about system tray icons tiny

    In news:FCD7BAE1-C40B-41F2-BA74-905236ED6581@microsoft.com,
    KevinW <KevinW@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I hope I'm in the right place here. There is almost nothing in the KB
    > on the system tray at all and nothing in the discussion groups on my
    > problem. About 2 days ago while I was booting the computer in the
    > normal way, I noticed that all the icons in the system tray were
    > about half the size or less than normal. I assumed it would go away
    > by the next reboot, but it is still there several reboots later. Any
    > ideas?

    Are you using any themes or software that enables various themes? If so
    reload the theme. Try switching to classic view and then back to the XP
    themes (start > run > control desktop > enter to get to the display settings
    quickly) and see if that helps. If not then a restore to a time before this
    problem happened might cure it. I'd go ahead and try switching the themes
    off and then turning them back on first though.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks for your reply, Galen, but I'm not using any themes and have only ever
    used the classic view. I may have to restore to an earlier point, but don't
    want to if another solution can be found.

    In news:4DD0CE97-8107-4D3F-9B64-A8E9B1DE50C7@microsoft.com,
    KevinW <KevinW@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Thanks for your reply, Galen, but I'm not using any themes and have
    > only ever used the classic view. I may have to restore to an earlier
    > point, but don't want to if another solution can be found.

    Did you try to switch to classic and then back? Also, is your screen
    resolution changed?

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    I didn't try to switch to classic as that is the only view I have ever used.
    And I'm afraid the screen resolution has not changed. It is on maximum
    (approx. 1400 x 1024) and has been like that for a couple of years.

    Thanks again.

    Kevin

    In news:9F25DED8-735D-48A1-ACF0-E0BCCE96AA00@microsoft.com,
    KevinW <KevinW@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I didn't try to switch to classic as that is the only view I have
    > ever used. And I'm afraid the screen resolution has not changed. It
    > is on maximum (approx. 1400 x 1024) and has been like that for a
    > couple of years.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Kevin

    I'm just about out of ideas on this one. Have you tried right clicking on
    the taskbar itself and selecting to lock it?

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Appreciate your help. I'm afraid the taskbar is already locked and has been
    for some time.

    Kevin

    In news:C517C60E-DE71-46E6-A776-60530388DE2A@microsoft.com,
    KevinW <KevinW@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Appreciate your help. I'm afraid the taskbar is already locked and
    > has been for some time.
    >
    > Kevin

    Well then... I've Googled, Yahood, MSNed, and more... What happens if you
    restore to a time before this happened?

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks for your efforts Galen. I find it really weird that there is nothing
    on the net about this: I had already made a long attempt to find something,
    but it's good to know that I didn't just miss it. I didn't really want to do
    that, but it looks like the only alternative is to restore to a previous
    point. I will let you know what happens.

    Kevin

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:C517C60E-DE71-46E6-A776-60530388DE2A@microsoft.com,
    > KevinW <KevinW@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > Appreciate your help. I'm afraid the taskbar is already locked and
    > > has been for some time.
    > >
    > > Kevin
    >
    > Well then... I've Googled, Yahood, MSNed, and more... What happens if you
    > restore to a time before this happened?
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I have now gone back to the last restore point, and sure enough it did the
    trick. It looks like the point was set before installing some kind of Mozilla
    update, although I am not 100% sure of that. Either way, it has fixed it.
    Still surprised that there is nothing out there on such things. I can't be
    the first one it happened to! Regards, Kevin
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    In news:1D24BF61-F6E7-4CCF-B12C-AD1826C342F6@microsoft.com,
    KevinW <KevinW@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I have now gone back to the last restore point, and sure enough it
    > did the trick. It looks like the point was set before installing some
    > kind of Mozilla update, although I am not 100% sure of that. Either
    > way, it has fixed it. Still surprised that there is nothing out there
    > on such things. I can't be the first one it happened to! Regards,
    > Kevin

    You're probably not the first one to have that happen, just the first one to
    post to the web about it. Then again you might have a completely unique
    setup and you might be the only one who's had that happen. The good thing is
    that the restore was able to fix it for you because, well, I was out of
    ideas.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

Tiny Icons Windows XP