Help with CD and DVD drives with new case

BaronVH

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
I recently purchased a new case and power supply and took them with my computer to a computer service shop to have everything removed from my old case and put into the new case. Everything was working fine, just wanted to upgrade the power supply and have better cooling with a new case. Anyway, the place (who I trust) calls and says everything transfered fine, but the cd and dvd drives will power up, but they will not read any discs. It worked fine just prior to the transfer. They then put the old power supply in the new case and tried one in their shop with the same result. Any suggestions on what I can tell them might be the cause of the problem? The new case is an Aerocool and the power supply is 550 watts, also by Aerocool. Asus motherboard, 3.2 P4, Windows XP w/ service pack 2 and all updates loaded, the dvd burner is a Sony, but I am not sure of the cd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Try different ide cables, try different cds. That is about all you can do.
What exatly does it do with the disc? Does it just keep spinning it up and never reading it? or does it not even spin at all?

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Take it to another shop. It doesn't matter how honest this shop is if they can't figure out something so easy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BaronVH

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
I am not in contact with the shop over the weekend, but I believe it might be spinning, but not reading the discs. Taking it to another shop will be what I do if they can't figure it out, but I would like to give the guy some guidance if it isn't something so simple.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The problem is that there are lots of easy things that can cause this problem:

1.) Your motherboard came with new IDE cables, they should use those.
2.) Not all boards work with all devices in "Cable Select" mode, you should have the drives set as master and slave.
3.) The CD and DVD drive should not be sharing the same cable as the hard drive. Especially if it's a Western Digital hard drive, because most people are too lazy to figure out the proper way to jumper WD drives.
4.) Master at the end of the cable, slave in the middle of the cable.
5.) Auto setting for the optical drives isn't always needed, most newer boards will find the drives even if drive type is set to "none".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
What kind of computer service shop depends on the customer for 'guidance' on repairing computer components? Deep-six that shop and find a reputable one with knowledgeable techs. There isn't a whole lot involved with this problem. Test, swap known working drives, test, change cables, re-test.

Also consider it may be just plain cheaper to buy new drives than to drag out the process on your current drives. Sony dual layer DVD burner is running $69 retail. Plain DVD players run $29.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

BaronVH

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
I spoke with the shop this morning and they have already done all of the suggestions that are listed above. It may be that the CD burner is bad and they are just not waiting long enough for the DVD to spin up. Hopefully that is all it is. Any other suggestions?