Deleting install directory after SP2 install?

I have just noticed that SP2 which installed from a directory the CD ROM
wrote to my hard drive called c:\585f1c53d86c0a4ccb left that directory in
place after install. It takes up a huge amount of space on my drive.

It said that it was making a back up of the prior config in some
sub-directory off the Windows directory so I wonder if I need this directory
any longer after a successful install? Are there any other directories it
should have cleaned up but which it might not have?

On a related point, has anyone any opinion on when to decide whether to
delete the back out directory itself and how to do this if one is reasonably
sure that the install went successfully?
5 answers Last reply
More about deleting install directory install

    You can delete these as long as your certain you don't want to Uninstall
    SP2. If all works well with your system and programs then it would be Ok.
    But, you will have to make the call.
    "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    >I have just noticed that SP2 which installed from a directory the CD ROM
    >wrote to my hard drive called c:\585f1c53d86c0a4ccb left that directory in
    >place after install. It takes up a huge amount of space on my drive.
    >
    > It said that it was making a back up of the prior config in some
    > sub-directory off the Windows directory so I wonder if I need this
    > directory any longer after a successful install? Are there any other
    > directories it should have cleaned up but which it might not have?
    >
    > On a related point, has anyone any opinion on when to decide whether to
    > delete the back out directory itself and how to do this if one is
    > reasonably sure that the install went successfully?

    Sorry to ask this question again but which are the backup configuration
    directories for SP2, - are they in the ServicePackFiles directory or in the
    $uninstall$ directory or are they in the c:\585f1c53d86c0a4ccb directory?

    You suggest that they are in all these and I cant delete any until I am sure
    that SP2 is working OK?

    Is it normal practice amongst techies to delete all the $uninstallhotfix$
    directories when they are used for a few weeks and everything seems OK? (I
    once tried uninstalling a few hotfixes and after the eighth or ninth, my PC
    cards stopped working and NOTHING I could do could get them to start again.
    So it is doubtful that I would ever use one of them again or try
    uninstalling any security patch)

    You can delete these as long as your certain you don't want to Uninstall
    > SP2.

    Personally, I delete them very quickly since I have not had any problems
    with Windows Updates. To be certain look in
    each directory for the .txt file or for info on the contents. When you
    are satisfied then just delete. I would definitely delete
    c:\585f1c53d86c0a4ccb and any $Uninstall$ directories.
    "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    >I have just noticed that SP2 which installed from a directory the CD ROM
    >wrote to my hard drive called c:\585f1c53d86c0a4ccb left that directory in
    >place after install. It takes up a huge amount of space on my drive.
    >
    > It said that it was making a back up of the prior config in some
    > sub-directory off the Windows directory so I wonder if I need this
    > directory any longer after a successful install? Are there any other
    > directories it should have cleaned up but which it might not have?
    >
    > On a related point, has anyone any opinion on when to decide whether to
    > delete the back out directory itself and how to do this if one is
    > reasonably sure that the install went successfully?

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after
    Tidying up after installing SP2
    and/or
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Removing_the_uninstall_information
    Removing the uninstall information

    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
    Save Space After Installing Updates

    "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    >I have just noticed that SP2 which installed from a directory the CD ROM wrote to my
    >hard drive called c:\585f1c53d86c0a4ccb left that directory in place after install.
    >It takes up a huge amount of space on my drive.
    >
    > It said that it was making a back up of the prior config in some sub-directory off
    > the Windows directory so I wonder if I need this directory any longer after a
    > successful install? Are there any other directories it should have cleaned up but
    > which it might not have?
    >
    > On a related point, has anyone any opinion on when to decide whether to delete the
    > back out directory itself and how to do this if one is reasonably sure that the
    > install went successfully?

    Yes, there are a gigantic number of $ntuninstall$ directories which I can't
    see myself ever using, especailly after installing SP2 and then deleting the
    SP2 backup files! I suppose if Microsoft in its wisdom does decide one day
    that some hotfix was wrongly written and needs uninstalling, they will
    provide a patch for people who were running out of space on their drives and
    deleted these useless directories.

    I would definitely delete
    > c:\585f1c53d86c0a4ccb and any $Uninstall$ directories.

Windows XP