Very Slow Startup

My Windows XP is taking a couple of minutes to startup. I know that has
been discussed in the forums. I have read serveral postings. I have done
several things and nothing seems to help at all:

Defrag
Limit desktop icons
Eliminate network connections
Stopped virtually all programs starting at startup using msconfig
etc.

Nothing seems to help.

I have had other problems with XP in the past such as clicking on a folder
and taking a long time to open. The only thing that helped was to
re-install XP. That is a tough option for me because I have a number of
development tools installed.

Help

Jay
4 answers Last reply
More about very slow startup

    Jay, if you have an CD Media in any of your cd drives remove them. Also,
    update all your device drivers.
    "Jay" <AreYouKidding@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My Windows XP is taking a couple of minutes to startup. I know that has
    > been discussed in the forums. I have read serveral postings. I have done
    > several things and nothing seems to help at all:
    >
    > Defrag
    > Limit desktop icons
    > Eliminate network connections
    > Stopped virtually all programs starting at startup using msconfig
    > etc.
    >
    > Nothing seems to help.
    >
    > I have had other problems with XP in the past such as clicking on a folder
    > and taking a long time to open. The only thing that helped was to
    > re-install XP. That is a tough option for me because I have a number of
    > development tools installed.
    >
    > Help
    >
    > Jay

    Thanks.

    No CD.
    When I installed this system it worked very fast for a long time. It
    started to have a slow startu and then very quickly became very slow at
    startup. I suspect the device drivers are ok or I would have had problems
    after the initial install.

    Jay

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Jay, if you have an CD Media in any of your cd drives remove them.
    Also,
    > update all your device drivers.
    > "Jay" <AreYouKidding@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My Windows XP is taking a couple of minutes to startup. I know that has
    > > been discussed in the forums. I have read serveral postings. I have
    done
    > > several things and nothing seems to help at all:
    > >
    > > Defrag
    > > Limit desktop icons
    > > Eliminate network connections
    > > Stopped virtually all programs starting at startup using msconfig
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > Nothing seems to help.
    > >
    > > I have had other problems with XP in the past such as clicking on a
    folder
    > > and taking a long time to open. The only thing that helped was to
    > > re-install XP. That is a tough option for me because I have a number of
    > > development tools installed.
    > >
    > > Help
    > >
    > > Jay

    I´m also have the same problem in various networks, and still don´t find the
    solution. If you already solved this issue, please tell me how.

    Best regards,

    Luciano Reis.

    --
    Luciano de Almeida Reis
    MCP VB.NET / ASP.NET

    "Jay" wrote:

    > Thanks.
    >
    > No CD.
    > When I installed this system it worked very fast for a long time. It
    > started to have a slow startu and then very quickly became very slow at
    > startup. I suspect the device drivers are ok or I would have had problems
    > after the initial install.
    >
    > Jay
    >
    > "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Jay, if you have an CD Media in any of your cd drives remove them.
    > Also,
    > > update all your device drivers.
    > > "Jay" <AreYouKidding@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > My Windows XP is taking a couple of minutes to startup. I know that has
    > > > been discussed in the forums. I have read serveral postings. I have
    > done
    > > > several things and nothing seems to help at all:
    > > >
    > > > Defrag
    > > > Limit desktop icons
    > > > Eliminate network connections
    > > > Stopped virtually all programs starting at startup using msconfig
    > > > etc.
    > > >
    > > > Nothing seems to help.
    > > >
    > > > I have had other problems with XP in the past such as clicking on a
    > folder
    > > > and taking a long time to open. The only thing that helped was to
    > > > re-install XP. That is a tough option for me because I have a number of
    > > > development tools installed.
    > > >
    > > > Help
    > > >
    > > > Jay

    1. If a device isn't working correctly, that will cause slow startup. I had
    a non- system disk with nothing on it that needed to be reformatted and that
    was causing very slow startup.
    2. Have you tried BootVis? It's no longer supported by Microsoft, but you
    can Google it to find it and it works pretty well.

    "Luciano Reis" wrote:

    > I´m also have the same problem in various networks, and still don´t find the
    > solution. If you already solved this issue, please tell me how.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Luciano Reis.
    >
    > --
    > Luciano de Almeida Reis
    > MCP VB.NET / ASP.NET
    >

    > "Jay" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > No CD.
    > > When I installed this system it worked very fast for a long time. It
    > > started to have a slow startu and then very quickly became very slow at
    > > startup. I suspect the device drivers are ok or I would have had problems
    > > after the initial install.
    > >
    > > Jay
    > >
    > > "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > Jay, if you have an CD Media in any of your cd drives remove them.
    > > Also,
    > > > update all your device drivers.
    > > > "Jay" <AreYouKidding@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > done