Very Slow Startup

May 27, 2005 8:07:23 PM

My Windows XP is taking a couple of minutes to startup. I know that has
been discussed in the forums. I have read serveral postings. I have done
several things and nothing seems to help at all:

Defrag
Limit desktop icons
Eliminate network connections
Stopped virtually all programs starting at startup using msconfig
etc.

Nothing seems to help.

I have had other problems with XP in the past such as clicking on a folder
and taking a long time to open. The only thing that helped was to
re-install XP. That is a tough option for me because I have a number of
development tools installed.

Help

Jay

More about : slow startup

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 12:46:59 AM

Jay, if you have an CD Media in any of your cd drives remove them. Also,
update all your device drivers.
"Jay" <AreYouKidding@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows XP is taking a couple of minutes to startup. I know that has
> been discussed in the forums. I have read serveral postings. I have done
> several things and nothing seems to help at all:
>
> Defrag
> Limit desktop icons
> Eliminate network connections
> Stopped virtually all programs starting at startup using msconfig
> etc.
>
> Nothing seems to help.
>
> I have had other problems with XP in the past such as clicking on a folder
> and taking a long time to open. The only thing that helped was to
> re-install XP. That is a tough option for me because I have a number of
> development tools installed.
>
> Help
>
> Jay

May 28, 2005 1:06:16 AM

Thanks.

No CD.
When I installed this system it worked very fast for a long time. It
started to have a slow startu and then very quickly became very slow at
startup. I suspect the device drivers are ok or I would have had problems
after the initial install.

Jay

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Jay, if you have an CD Media in any of your cd drives remove them.
Also,
> update all your device drivers.
> "Jay" <AreYouKidding@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Windows XP is taking a couple of minutes to startup. I know that has
> > been discussed in the forums. I have read serveral postings. I have
done
> > several things and nothing seems to help at all:
> >
> > Defrag
> > Limit desktop icons
> > Eliminate network connections
> > Stopped virtually all programs starting at startup using msconfig
> > etc.
> >
> > Nothing seems to help.
> >
> > I have had other problems with XP in the past such as clicking on a
folder
> > and taking a long time to open. The only thing that helped was to
> > re-install XP. That is a tough option for me because I have a number of
> > development tools installed.
> >
> > Help
> >
> > Jay

May 29, 2005 11:07:09 AM

I´m also have the same problem in various networks, and still don´t find the
solution. If you already solved this issue, please tell me how.

Best regards,

Luciano Reis.

--
Luciano de Almeida Reis
MCP VB.NET / ASP.NET

"Jay" wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> No CD.
> When I installed this system it worked very fast for a long time. It
> started to have a slow startu and then very quickly became very slow at
> startup. I suspect the device drivers are ok or I would have had problems
> after the initial install.
>
> Jay
>
> "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Jay, if you have an CD Media in any of your cd drives remove them.
> Also,
> > update all your device drivers.
> > "Jay" <AreYouKidding@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My Windows XP is taking a couple of minutes to startup. I know that has
> > > been discussed in the forums. I have read serveral postings. I have
> done
> > > several things and nothing seems to help at all:
> > >
> > > Defrag
> > > Limit desktop icons
> > > Eliminate network connections
> > > Stopped virtually all programs starting at startup using msconfig
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > Nothing seems to help.
> > >
> > > I have had other problems with XP in the past such as clicking on a
> folder
> > > and taking a long time to open. The only thing that helped was to
> > > re-install XP. That is a tough option for me because I have a number of
> > > development tools installed.
> > >
> > > Help
> > >
> > > Jay

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:52:08 AM

1. If a device isn't working correctly, that will cause slow startup. I had
a non- system disk with nothing on it that needed to be reformatted and that
was causing very slow startup.
2. Have you tried BootVis? It's no longer supported by Microsoft, but you
can Google it to find it and it works pretty well.

!