dcmopar10

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
Hey guys the other day one of the my custumers compaq deskpro something something (i know its a pentium 3) power supply failed, i bough a new power supply but it was not compatible because that compaq uses a "24 pin" power supply. Does anyone now where i might be able to find a 24 pin power supply. And by the way thanx ahead of time.

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. albert einstein

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you certain it's a standard 24-pin arrangement? Because you can get those from Fortron Source if you look hard enough (a certain model of the 400W, plus the 460W and 550W). Newegg carries at least the last two sizes.

Speaking of size, is it really the same physical size as a standard power supply? Or is it a little larger?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dcmopar10

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
Its a lil bit bigger yet lol it was funny because i showed up at her house with a philips screw driver and the first thing to happen to me is that the screws were not standard, the next thing i noticed is that the p/s on the compaq looks really big nest to the one i havei said to my self this is not gonna fit, and when i finally disconnect the cable that powers the mobo i saw that the pins where different, i had gotten her a thermal take 400w

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. albert einstein

dicobalt

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
ya, you might want to consult with compaq to make sure this isnt some kinda wacky compaq only power supply. i know some of those manufacturers liked to configure their psu in a non atx way. if it isnt atx and u plug it in u will fry the mainboard. the only 24 pin psu's that i know of are high end, the vantec stealth 520 ($100usd) comes with a 24pin atx connector.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, they use Torx screws (people who don't know the names call them "star drive") with a slot across the head for a 1/4" flat head screwdriver. Also, I think you'll find the power switch might be wired directly to the power supply.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dcmopar10

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
no it was not wired directly from the p/s, i am just gonna order it on newegg and go install it