Keeping the "Presshot" Cool With a New Case?

jndietz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
With reference back to <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=197299#197299" target="_new">this topic</A>, I post the following...

Okay, so the stock cooler should be efficient enough for the time being. Questions have arisen about my case. I will admit that this case was a cheapy. It was $16 and made by a company called "Linkworld". Originally, the case provided very little cooling (in my opinion). So I modded it to suit me. You can check pictures of this case <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-164-039&depa=1" target="_new">here.</A> The only actual case mod I did to this thing was cut an 80mm hole in the top of the case for a blowhole. I then placed another fan under the PSU to suck air in, while the blowhole pushes the air out. However, someone mentioned to me on IRC that the warm air blowing out of the PSU could be causing problems, I haven't experimented with that yet. At any rate, do you think that possibly the case is causing my heating problem?

I like to use the internet once in a while.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jndietz on 12/26/04 07:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Making a couple assumptions here... 1) your blowhole on top has a fan in it. 2) there is still a fan in the lower front and that fan pulls air in from the front. 3) the PSU fan properly blows air out the back. Assuming all this is correct, then it seems you have decent airflow from what you have described, although the intake right below the PSU may be causing a dead air zone in the middle of the case.

If you think cooling is still poor, switch the fan below the PSU to exhaust (pulling it out the back), and cut another hole in the side panel with a fan blowing in onto the motherboard - maybe putting the hole right over the CPU's HSF to give it direct outside air.

Mike.

RichPLS

Champion
I thought all rear fans were exhaust, and front fans are intake. And the PSU blows out also.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

jndietz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
Well, here's a diagram of my case. Post opinions, thoughts, and ideas, please. I gotta keep this thing cool.

<A HREF="http://www.jdean.1plan.net/untitled.JPG"" target="_new">Click here for the image</A>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The diagram confused me. Do you have an exhaust fan blowing out the top? Are the other two the exhaust from the PSU and then one intake fan that is mounted on the rear of the case?

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I've had this same case and manged to lower temps considerably with some modding. These are my reccomendations based on my experience.

1. The fan under the PSU should be an exhaust, not an intake.
2. Cut a fan-sized hole dead center on the side of the case. This can be used to mount an intake fan or provide an intake point for duct work to your CPU fan.
3. The intake fan in front needs access to more unrestricted airflow. If I remember right this case sits on four "legs" to raise it from the table. Use these legs and this will allow you to cut a slot in the bottom of the front bezel and/or drill holes in the front of the bezel to allow the fan to draw more air.
4. From the inside of the case, place masking tape over all those venilation holes to allow the fans to direct air flow the way they should.
5. I used thermaltake smart fans and drilled holes for the control knobs and affixed them with automotive silicon...or you could use a fan controller.

I'd still be using this case but I wanted more drives and more room to work so I went to a full tower. Plus with the full tower I use bigger and quieter fans.

....WW (5.0)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I like what _ww_ said...

Comments:

Your diagram does not show a fan at the bottom front of the case. However, the link to the case at Newegg has one. Do you have an intake fan there? Is it plugged in?

If no to either or both... get one there, plug it in.

Make the case fan under the PSU an exhaust. Basically, make all 3 fans you show in your diagram exhaust fans.

Think about your airflow for a minute... you blow it in right below the PSU, and it gets sucked out the top and back almost immediately after it gets in. The cpu gets some of it, but the rest of the case is nothing but dead air. Gotta have airflow throughout the whole case. You have a nice exhaust setup (after switching the intake under the PSU to exhaust) at the top and back, now you need some way to get air INTO the case from the lower front. Get that front fan going, and get some additional air intake on the side, over the CPU so it gets direct outside air.

Mike.