problem installing programs. Help, Help Please.

May 29, 2005 8:15:19 PM

Hi,

I run windows XP sp2.

I am trying to install a program which I bought called NTI CD copy.

When beginning the installation I get the following message: Error 1606.
Could not access network location %userprofile%\start
menu\programs\startup\.

I am not on a network I am a single user and I have no passwords to wade
through. In checking my C:\Documents and settings\ Folders I have both in
the Administrator and User directories under Start a startup subdirectory
with nothing in it.

Can anyone give me a bit of help on this so I can install the program.

I had the same problem when trying to install Counterspy trial earlier this
week and thought it was part of the problem with the program but now it
seems to be a problem of my windows setup.

Regards,
Werner
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 8:39:35 PM

%userprofile%
is
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here

%userprofile%\start menu\programs\startup
is
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\start menu\programs\startup

See if this helps...

"Error 1606. Could not access network location <common administrative
tools>. All users\" error message when you install a program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o 93lksIZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> I run windows XP sp2.
>
> I am trying to install a program which I bought called NTI CD copy.
>
> When beginning the installation I get the following message: Error 1606.
> Could not access network location %userprofile%\start
> menu\programs\startup\.
>
> I am not on a network I am a single user and I have no passwords to wade
> through. In checking my C:\Documents and settings\ Folders I have both in
> the Administrator and User directories under Start a startup subdirectory
> with nothing in it.
>
> Can anyone give me a bit of help on this so I can install the program.
>
> I had the same problem when trying to install Counterspy trial earlier
> this week and thought it was part of the problem with the program but now
> it seems to be a problem of my windows setup.
>
> Regards,
> Werner
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 10:10:17 PM

Hi Wesley,

I checked what you mentioned but the startup folder you list below is empty.
What do I put in there? What should be there in the startup file and how can
I get it in?

Thanks
regards,
Werner

> %userprofile%
> is
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
>
> %userprofile%\start menu\programs\startup
> is
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\start menu\programs\startup
>
> See if this helps...
>
> "Error 1606. Could not access network location <common administrative
> tools>. All users\" error message when you install a program
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:o 93lksIZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I run windows XP sp2.
>>
>> I am trying to install a program which I bought called NTI CD copy.
>>
>> When beginning the installation I get the following message: Error 1606.
>> Could not access network location %userprofile%\start
>> menu\programs\startup\.
>>
>> I am not on a network I am a single user and I have no passwords to wade
>> through. In checking my C:\Documents and settings\ Folders I have both in
>> the Administrator and User directories under Start a startup subdirectory
>> with nothing in it.
>>
>> Can anyone give me a bit of help on this so I can install the program.
>>
>> I had the same problem when trying to install Counterspy trial earlier
>> this week and thought it was part of the problem with the program but now
>> it seems to be a problem of my windows setup.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Werner

May 31, 2005 10:10:18 PM

Any shortcut to a program that is in the %userprofile%\start
menu\programs\startup folder will start that program when Windows starts.

Same with this folder...

%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Nothing has to be in either folder. Just things that you want to start when
Windows starts.

How to put something there...
To start a program each time you start Windows

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uxCgJ2iZFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wesley,
>
> I checked what you mentioned but the startup folder you list below is
> empty. What do I put in there? What should be there in the startup file
> and how can I get it in?
>
> Thanks
> regards,
> Werner

>> %userprofile%
>> is
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
>>
>> %userprofile%\start menu\programs\startup
>> is
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\start menu\programs\startup
>>
>> See if this helps...
>>
>> "Error 1606. Could not access network location <common administrative
>> tools>. All users\" error message when you install a program
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-...
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:o 93lksIZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I run windows XP sp2.
>>>
>>> I am trying to install a program which I bought called NTI CD copy.
>>>
>>> When beginning the installation I get the following message: Error
>>> 1606. Could not access network location %userprofile%\start
>>> menu\programs\startup\.
>>>
>>> I am not on a network I am a single user and I have no passwords to wade
>>> through. In checking my C:\Documents and settings\ Folders I have both
>>> in the Administrator and User directories under Start a startup
>>> subdirectory with nothing in it.
>>>
>>> Can anyone give me a bit of help on this so I can install the program.
>>>
>>> I had the same problem when trying to install Counterspy trial earlier
>>> this week and thought it was part of the problem with the program but
>>> now it seems to be a problem of my windows setup.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Werner
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 11:16:13 PM

Hi Wes,

It doesn't work. What the MSoft document advises is what I want to star when
windows starts. This is not what I want to do. What I am trying to do is
install new programs. In this case NTI and Counterspy. I get the response
from my computer when I try to install either of these programs. This is
something new as I have not had the problem before.

Right now I'm afraid to buy any new program or a trial program.

The problem is not solved as yet.

More advice requested.

Many thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

Regards,
Werner

> Any shortcut to a program that is in the %userprofile%\start
> menu\programs\startup folder will start that program when Windows starts.
>
> Same with this folder...
>
> %userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>
> Nothing has to be in either folder. Just things that you want to start
> when
> Windows starts.
>
> How to put something there...
> To start a program each time you start Windows
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uxCgJ2iZFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Wesley,
>>
>> I checked what you mentioned but the startup folder you list below is
>> empty. What do I put in there? What should be there in the startup file
>> and how can I get it in?
>>
>> Thanks
>> regards,
>> Werner

>>> %userprofile%
>>> is
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
>>>
>>> %userprofile%\start menu\programs\startup
>>> is
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\start menu\programs\startup
>>>
>>> See if this helps...
>>>
>>> "Error 1606. Could not access network location <common administrative
>>> tools>. All users\" error message when you install a program
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:o 93lksIZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:23:06 AM

I tried going to add/remove programs in control panel but I get the same
error.

Regards,
Werner

> Any shortcut to a program that is in the %userprofile%\start
> menu\programs\startup folder will start that program when Windows starts.
>
> Same with this folder...
>
> %userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>
> Nothing has to be in either folder. Just things that you want to start
> when
> Windows starts.
>
> How to put something there...
> To start a program each time you start Windows
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uxCgJ2iZFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Wesley,
>>
>> I checked what you mentioned but the startup folder you list below is
>> empty. What do I put in there? What should be there in the startup file
>> and how can I get it in?
>>
>> Thanks
>> regards,
>> Werner

>>> %userprofile%
>>> is
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
>>>
>>> %userprofile%\start menu\programs\startup
>>> is
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\start menu\programs\startup
>>>
>>> See if this helps...
>>>
>>> "Error 1606. Could not access network location <common administrative
>>> tools>. All users\" error message when you install a program
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:o 93lksIZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 6:33:10 AM

Hi,

I've tried your recommendations but nothing works. I have nothing in the
user profile...startup directory.

The program will not install at all but gives the message as I indicated
below. Can you offer a suggestion on what to put in there to make the
program install?

Regards,
Werner

> Any shortcut to a program that is in the %userprofile%\start
> menu\programs\startup folder will start that program when Windows starts.
>
> Same with this folder...
>
> %userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>
> Nothing has to be in either folder. Just things that you want to start
> when
> Windows starts.
>
> How to put something there...
> To start a program each time you start Windows
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uxCgJ2iZFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Wesley,
>>
>> I checked what you mentioned but the startup folder you list below is
>> empty. What do I put in there? What should be there in the startup file
>> and how can I get it in?
>>
>> Thanks
>> regards,
>> Werner

>>> %userprofile%
>>> is
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
>>>
>>> %userprofile%\start menu\programs\startup
>>> is
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\start menu\programs\startup
>>>
>>> See if this helps...
>>>
>>> "Error 1606. Could not access network location <common administrative
>>> tools>. All users\" error message when you install a program
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:o 93lksIZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 11:21:50 AM

Hi Werner,

You may have an incorrect setting in the registry.

You can use this REG fix to reset the User Shell Folders values to Windows
XP defaults.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/shellfolders.reg

Click the link above to download shellfolders.reg. Save it to your machine,
double click it and answer YES to the prompt.

Or have a look at this KB article.
This way can get sort of complicated, so I advise using shellfolders.reg
above.

Pay particular attention to...
Start Menu REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
in both
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove
a Microsoft program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;886549

Sorry I was so long getting back here. I've been very busy.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ek0iO9MaFHA.1448@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried your recommendations but nothing works. I have nothing in the
> user profile...startup directory.
>
> The program will not install at all but gives the message as I indicated
> below. Can you offer a suggestion on what to put in there to make the
> program install?
>
> Regards,
> Werner

>> Any shortcut to a program that is in the %userprofile%\start
>> menu\programs\startup folder will start that program when Windows starts.
>>
>> Same with this folder...
>>
>> %userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>>
>> Nothing has to be in either folder. Just things that you want to start
>> when
>> Windows starts.
>>
>> How to put something there...
>> To start a program each time you start Windows

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:uxCgJ2iZFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi Wesley,
>>>
>>> I checked what you mentioned but the startup folder you list below is
>>> empty. What do I put in there? What should be there in the startup file
>>> and how can I get it in?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> regards,
>>> Werner

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 11:04:50 PM

Hooray!!! Thank you Wesley,

That did the trick. I ran the "shellfolders.reg" and it cured my problem.
You are a life saver.

Many, Many Thanks

Regards,
Werner