Closed

Elder Scrolls 5 May Be a Direct Sequel to Oblivion

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
November 23, 2010 10:56:26 PM

Elder Scrolls 5. DO WANT NOW.
Score
November 23, 2010 10:56:31 PM

This worries me... "One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us..." Does this mean that they're still sticking with the same ancient engine? Please... for the love of all that is digital... ditch the old and busted and bring in the new hotness.
Score
Related resources
November 23, 2010 10:57:44 PM

I just hope they use a new graphical engine... And better not be a MMORPG.
Score
Anonymous
November 23, 2010 11:04:16 PM

20 of those 90 employee's are rumored to already be working on the many patches needed to fix the game after it's released.
Score
November 23, 2010 11:08:56 PM

Same here about the game engine. I really hope they have been building a new engine this whole time and don't just use the upgraded engine that Fallout 3 has been using. I can't wait for ES:V though and I hope it is a direct sequel to Oblivion. Oblivion had such a fantastic and epic story. I definitely want to see what happens to the empire in the aftermath.
Score
November 23, 2010 11:20:01 PM

Good thing it's never coming out *Weeps Openly*
Score
November 23, 2010 11:20:10 PM

:o  something that I have been waiting for ages! I don't care if it used the same engine so long the bugs are few and the game play is good.
Score
November 23, 2010 11:24:48 PM

I just hope they fixed the character models, god they were ugly.
Score
Anonymous
November 23, 2010 11:36:21 PM

i'm more concerned about them dumbing it down for fallout players and the massive list of bugs that will surely plague it. and besides, fallout new vegas didn't look terrible
Score
November 23, 2010 11:46:38 PM

qu3beckerI just hope they use a new graphical engine... And better not be a MMORPG.

if anything please a new engine! I hate that one they used for morrowind/oblivion
Score
November 23, 2010 11:47:58 PM

nicodemus_mmThis worries me... "One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us..." Does this mean that they're still sticking with the same ancient engine? Please... for the love of all that is digital... ditch the old and busted and bring in the new hotness.

If its out on consoles I can't see it being massively overhauled. Possible that they might tweak it a bit more from fallout which was a big improvement from Oblivion but fallout was sometimes graphically buggy which was a shame (More than I remember Oblivion being). Also fallout had some nice mechanics which would be nice to see. Hope they completely redo the levelling system too. I guess using the same engine is why they're doing a direct sequel rather than a total new game. TBH I'm slightly disappointed at that, Cyrodiil was unimpressive compared Morrowind. Morrowind felt like it had far more unique locations.
Score
November 23, 2010 11:53:59 PM

Not buying any more games from Bethesda, even that I love Fallout series. But that engine is full of bugs
Score
November 24, 2010 12:07:20 AM

The combat in Oblivion without mods was just awful in my opinion. Especially the level scaling aspect of it. This is what I hope they fix the most.
Score
November 24, 2010 12:08:42 AM

LIKE! SUPER LIKE!
Score
November 24, 2010 12:14:30 AM

even with the level scaling, it was still a good game, although i did not enjoy it as much as morrowind. I just want to know WHEN! WHEN CAN I BUY IT! I will upgrade my machine for the sole purpose of playing this game! It would be good if it was designed to run on pc first, then stripped down ported to consoles rather than the other way round.
Score
November 24, 2010 12:28:48 AM

Makes me wanna go back and play TES IV: oblivion. I logged 200+hours in that game doing side quests and dlc sidequests but never went back to clear the main storyline. I liked my summoner class because I called her panzi and just made my summons do all the work while i hid with invisibility/cloak LOL.

The one thing I hope they bring into TES V that TES IV had was the little colllectible in-game book series that you could collect and read. There were so many sets of books you could find and collect just to get a bit of history on cyrodil and in some instances morrowwind. The in-game lore stories were a treat to read. I wonder if the previous TES games had that too.

Oh well guess I gotta add another game(TES V) to the "waiting" list.
Score
November 24, 2010 12:39:04 AM

That's cool. Hopefully it'll be out for release when I'm done with Oblivion... Yes, I am still casually working on the game. Didn't realize how big Oblivion is of a game.
Score
November 24, 2010 12:45:48 AM

Darth Mullet20 of those 90 employee's are rumored to already be working on the many patches needed to fix the game after it's released.

I wish they were, Bethesda has a terrible track record of buggy games.
Score
November 24, 2010 12:48:21 AM

It will probably be on the same out and outdated game engine from the last installments as well.
Score
November 24, 2010 1:10:51 AM

Hopefully the new game is set in a province other than Cyrodill. Regardless I hope the new game is more like Morrowind than Oblivion...at least as far as the game UI is concerned.
Score
November 24, 2010 1:13:38 AM

If it's a direct sequel.... maybe I can still use my current character!

Time to dig out my backup files. I stopped playing oblivion after completing the main quest and the guild quests. Even if I can resurrect my old character, I'd still be rusty.

But still, if it IS a direct sequel, then they MUST allow the player to continue the storyline using their old character.
Score
November 24, 2010 1:27:29 AM

Heh I live near Bethesda game studios and ran into a bunch of the developers at Chipotle back in the spring. I asked em how the new Elder Scrolls is comin along, and they went a little white in the face before one eventually replied "I have no idea what your talking about"
Score
November 24, 2010 2:04:29 AM

Yaaaay! Elder Scrolls V! It better not be a MMO, though! If it is I'm not buying it... just like I'm skipping The Old Republic. I don't like watching movies in the theaters because there are other people around, imagine if I had to interact with them in order to see the movie.

guzami77Heh I live near Bethesda game studios and ran into a bunch of the developers at Chipotle back in the spring. I asked em how the new Elder Scrolls is comin along, and they went a little white in the face before one eventually replied "I have no idea what your talking about"

Next time just grab one of them and beat him until he spills the beans.

Score
November 24, 2010 2:06:18 AM

Yeah and quit whining about the engine, it's going to be as good as they can manage. Oblivion looked great, Fallout looked great, TESV is going to look great too.
Score
November 24, 2010 2:07:29 AM

Hey, Oblivion came out of nowhere and when it did, it had all the bells and whistles. It was way ahead of it's time. I fully expect the same from Elder Scrolls 5.
Score
November 24, 2010 2:15:16 AM

Time to save up for another system upgrade! >:) 
Now I'm having some LSS problems with the Oblivion opening song. Damn!
Score
November 24, 2010 2:20:00 AM

matto17secsHey, Oblivion came out of nowhere

How so? Oblivion was the most anticipated game of 2006.
Score
November 24, 2010 3:27:24 AM

For the love of god make the physics better. Oblivion is one of my top 10 games, I just loved the scale, the attention to detail and the story!
Score
November 24, 2010 3:57:04 AM

nicodemus_mmThis worries me... "One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us..." Does this mean that they're still sticking with the same ancient engine? Please... for the love of all that is digital... ditch the old and busted and bring in the new hotness.

it is a whole new engine that they are having ID make for them
Score
November 24, 2010 4:36:18 AM

I have played Elder Scrolls on PC version, hope they will make a PC version too.
Score
November 24, 2010 4:48:51 AM

I think that Oblivion is the most good-looking fantasy RPG ever made. Anyway, graphics isn't that important, what's important is the story and the gameplay. Oh, and it better not be a MMO or an episodic game.
Score
November 24, 2010 4:57:11 AM

Meh...the problem with Oblivion is that the main plot was kinda lacking. TES III Morrowind had a MUCH more compelling plot. If they want to do a sequel, they should make it a sequel to TESIII, not TESIV.
Score
November 24, 2010 5:56:20 AM

another thing i would like to see is more expansions. Oblivion had shivvering isles, which i didnt like all that much, and nights of the nine which was gay and didnt really add much, nor made it interesting enough to want to look into. The morrowind expansions tribunal and bloodmoon were much better and provided more variety to the story and scenery. It seems that everyone that has played both morrowind and oblivion agrees that morrowind was a better overall game.
Score
November 24, 2010 5:58:14 AM

Yes, I agree. Oblivion was one of the worst in the series, maybe tied for the last place with Daggerfall. Both got really boring and repetitive towards the end.
Score
November 24, 2010 6:18:58 AM

About the game engine ... it might be a stretch but since bethesda + id + zenimax = in the same bed ... what are the chances we'll see id tech 5 as the game engine this time?

The last comment made think this
Quote:
Howard indicated that the new title will look and perform incredibly well on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. "You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game," he said.
Score
November 24, 2010 7:53:16 AM

Bethsoft has already came out and said that this new game will be on the same Gamebryo engine from Oblivion and FO3. They've also said that they WILL NOT be using ID tech 5 for upcoming titles and will make their own engine. Presumably they'll call it Gamebryo 2.
Score
November 24, 2010 9:13:12 AM

martel80Yes, I agree. Oblivion was one of the worst in the series, maybe tied for the last place with Daggerfall. Both got really boring and repetitive towards the end.

Oblivion was not that bad.... But I agree that Morrowind had a better storyline.

I wouldn't mind having a Daggerfall-done-right remake too.
Score
November 24, 2010 10:20:26 AM

I hope their character models are as good as the TNR mod.

This is a MUST have mod whether you play with mods or vanilla. You will not regret installing TNR.
Score
November 24, 2010 12:07:28 PM

sounds like the same old engine if it performs really well on Xbox and PS3, thats sad, but some new game chapters are welcome.
Score
November 24, 2010 12:56:36 PM

For those in doubt if you liked the shivering isles expansion or my favorite dlc expansion the knights of the nine just think of what Bethesda can and will do with the oblivion direct sequel.

For those that haven't tried it I would suggest to download the knights of the nine expansion for TES IV: Oblivion. To me it was like a separate game within oblivion and is quite a lengthy but worthwhile quest to take on. It even has it's own detailed story and epic ending as well!
Score
November 24, 2010 12:58:11 PM

they started on computers i remeber playing volume 2 way back in the day and than volume 3 and they were all on computer so it would seem smart for them to make the PC version first which is where most of there followers are going to be and than port over to the xbox360 ohh maybe kinect imagine swinging the sword around the room LoL
Score
November 24, 2010 1:46:16 PM

Guess marketing department told them the name needs to be Oblivion 2 "cause it'll sell".
Score
November 24, 2010 1:50:27 PM

I feel like Cartman right now. Freeze me until it comes out. Can't wait.
Score
November 24, 2010 2:02:12 PM

simple formula:
huge map, random dungeons, random treasures, throw away the main story, random events (mini stories are fine), events and options change based on your party members ability’s and inventory, age limitations (as your player gets older his skills diminish and eventually death), no ending.. just play for fame and fortune, customizable weapons and armor, multi player (4 party co-op would be nice) and if you have time.. update graphics.. but not top O my list.

Score
November 24, 2010 2:18:58 PM

Urgh! I hope not. The setting, scenery, characters and plot were all so bland and homogenised in Oblivion compared to Morrowind and its expansions.
Score
November 24, 2010 3:11:20 PM

I hope they develop the PC version then cut it down for a console version, rather than be lazy and try to do a one-size-fits-all approach.

I refuse to buy PC games if I find they sacrificed the quality of the PC version just so it will also run on consoles with no extra work.

The usual telltales are horrible controls (primarily joypad-friendly instead of mouse/keyboard), bad camera angles, shallow arcade-style gameplay, unnecessarily limited save options and underpowered graphics.

Score
November 24, 2010 3:43:22 PM

1) There had better be a PC version.
2) It had better look a lot better than the console version.
3) It had better not be 'dumbed down' for the masses.
Score
November 24, 2010 4:03:53 PM

Oblivion is the first and only game that i liked so much, i bought both PC and Xbox versions. I cant wait for the sequel!
Score
November 24, 2010 4:20:54 PM

"Howard indicated that the new title will look and perform incredibly well on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. "You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game," he said."
Nope, its still the same 10 year old tech sorry :p 
Score
!