Elder Scrolls 5 May Be a Direct Sequel to Oblivion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
This worries me... "One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us..." Does this mean that they're still sticking with the same ancient engine? Please... for the love of all that is digital... ditch the old and busted and bring in the new hotness.

G

20 of those 90 employee's are rumored to already be working on the many patches needed to fix the game after it's released.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Same here about the game engine. I really hope they have been building a new engine this whole time and don't just use the upgraded engine that Fallout 3 has been using. I can't wait for ES:V though and I hope it is a direct sequel to Oblivion. Oblivion had such a fantastic and epic story. I definitely want to see what happens to the empire in the aftermath.

G

i'm more concerned about them dumbing it down for fallout players and the massive list of bugs that will surely plague it. and besides, fallout new vegas didn't look terrible

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]qu3becker[/nom]I just hope they use a new graphical engine... And better not be a MMORPG.[/citation]

if anything please a new engine! I hate that one they used for morrowind/oblivion

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom]This worries me... "One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us..." Does this mean that they're still sticking with the same ancient engine? Please... for the love of all that is digital... ditch the old and busted and bring in the new hotness.[/citation]

If its out on consoles I can't see it being massively overhauled. Possible that they might tweak it a bit more from fallout which was a big improvement from Oblivion but fallout was sometimes graphically buggy which was a shame (More than I remember Oblivion being). Also fallout had some nice mechanics which would be nice to see. Hope they completely redo the levelling system too. I guess using the same engine is why they're doing a direct sequel rather than a total new game. TBH I'm slightly disappointed at that, Cyrodiil was unimpressive compared Morrowind. Morrowind felt like it had far more unique locations.

abrarey

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Not buying any more games from Bethesda, even that I love Fallout series. But that engine is full of bugs

even with the level scaling, it was still a good game, although i did not enjoy it as much as morrowind. I just want to know WHEN! WHEN CAN I BUY IT! I will upgrade my machine for the sole purpose of playing this game! It would be good if it was designed to run on pc first, then stripped down ported to consoles rather than the other way round.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Makes me wanna go back and play TES IV: oblivion. I logged 200+hours in that game doing side quests and dlc sidequests but never went back to clear the main storyline. I liked my summoner class because I called her panzi and just made my summons do all the work while i hid with invisibility/cloak LOL.

The one thing I hope they bring into TES V that TES IV had was the little colllectible in-game book series that you could collect and read. There were so many sets of books you could find and collect just to get a bit of history on cyrodil and in some instances morrowwind. The in-game lore stories were a treat to read. I wonder if the previous TES games had that too.

Oh well guess I gotta add another game(TES V) to the "waiting" list.

ecmjr

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
That's cool. Hopefully it'll be out for release when I'm done with Oblivion... Yes, I am still casually working on the game. Didn't realize how big Oblivion is of a game.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Darth Mullet[/nom]20 of those 90 employee's are rumored to already be working on the many patches needed to fix the game after it's released.[/citation]
I wish they were, Bethesda has a terrible track record of buggy games.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Hopefully the new game is set in a province other than Cyrodill. Regardless I hope the new game is more like Morrowind than Oblivion...at least as far as the game UI is concerned.

eric_son

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
If it's a direct sequel.... maybe I can still use my current character!

Time to dig out my backup files. I stopped playing oblivion after completing the main quest and the guild quests. Even if I can resurrect my old character, I'd still be rusty.

But still, if it IS a direct sequel, then they MUST allow the player to continue the storyline using their old character.

guzami77

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Heh I live near Bethesda game studios and ran into a bunch of the developers at Chipotle back in the spring. I asked em how the new Elder Scrolls is comin along, and they went a little white in the face before one eventually replied "I have no idea what your talking about"

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Yaaaay! Elder Scrolls V! It better not be a MMO, though! If it is I'm not buying it... just like I'm skipping The Old Republic. I don't like watching movies in the theaters because there are other people around, imagine if I had to interact with them in order to see the movie.

[citation][nom]guzami77[/nom]Heh I live near Bethesda game studios and ran into a bunch of the developers at Chipotle back in the spring. I asked em how the new Elder Scrolls is comin along, and they went a little white in the face before one eventually replied "I have no idea what your talking about"[/citation]

Next time just grab one of them and beat him until he spills the beans.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah and quit whining about the engine, it's going to be as good as they can manage. Oblivion looked great, Fallout looked great, TESV is going to look great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.