Windows 7 64 bit freezes randomly - NO BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiethefuzz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Time for me to suck it up and ask the experts...because I have exhausted all of my knowledge.

The OS locks up, mouse won't move, keyboard not responsive. Very random, not overheating, well under 50 degrees C, anywhere from 1 minute after windows loads to hours, no rhyme or reason(or BSOD for that matter).

WILL RUN FOR DAYS IN SAFE MODE!!!

What sort of info do you need to help me?

Here are my specs:

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N250-1GI GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM: OCZ Signature 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3SR1333LV4GK

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Thanks in advance.

louiethefuzz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
The OS is legit...OEM Windows 7 64 bit. This would be re-install # 4 if I were to do it again. I have checked every driver individually, run memtest86, and checked the BIOS about 50 times. I'm stuck.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Check the hard drive for errors. If it freezes and no BSOD could be the hard drive. When it freezes is the hard drive light solid? I have had a hard drive cause freezing before. If you have another hard drive try it.

Have you looked in the Windows 7 Event Viewer to determine if there is a program or service that is having a problem starting up? The symptoms you've described would lead one to look for any Error events that might give a clue as to what might be causing the problem.

louiethefuzz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
@ 1haplo - Have not done a check disk, but drive is new. Same results on another HDD with windows 7 32 bit installed.

@ko888 - Event viewer no help.

NOTE: Replaced RAM with known good modules. 2 Sticks Corsair Dominator...Still locking up.

louiethefuzz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
HDD Came back with no errors. My friend who is Microsoft Certified took a look at it too. Manually adjusted bios settings, downclocked the RAM, we've verified all bios settings, swapped all parts outs with known good components(except MOBO)...the only thing we can assume is the motherboard is bad, even though it's brand new.

louiethefuzz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
After swapping out all components with know good replacements, we determined that the MOBO was the only thing left. I sent the board back to Gigabyte. I should have it back in a couple weeks...

raflong

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

So, how was it? Did you manage to solve it?

I'm having a similar problem...

xf1xcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
im having the same issue.all new stuff .asus sabertooth mobo i7 proccesor,ati6950 2 gig graphics card,6 gigs of dominator ram,win 7 64 freezes while gaming,tried win7 32 bit but still freezes,bought a new raptor 10,000 rpm hd and clean install ,same thing happens,and its not a power or heat problem,still looking for an answer.games will play for 5 min and crash or on rare occ i play 1 hr.hope someone knows the answer good luck.

The Thermaltake TR2 Series Black Widow 850W (W0319RU) is not a good power supply unit.

The TR2 series is unable to deliver its labeled wattage. Noise and ripple levels are way above the maximum allowed which can cause your PC to present erratic behaviors (e.g. crashes and random resets) and under extreme conditions it will damage components.

Try a different power supply unit and see if that solves your problems. It did for this poster who was using this exact same power supply:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/f...rint=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

nknight

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Anybody figure this issue out? I'm having the exact same issue. Windows 7, 64 Ultimate. Computer randomly freezes with no BSOD. Can't move mouse, type anything. Have to hard reset everytime. I just reformatted the C drive and resinstalled. It's still happening. Not sure if it is a hardware issue, and if so, which part. Or if it is some file on the 2nd HD or external HD. I kind of doubt it because it will just freeze while doing nothing with those drives, just moving the mouse on a webpage, or typing in a search term, then Nothing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

yeagerman

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I do submit, what in the world is this? Build is 2 years old, amazing stable the whole time. On board network adapter (says its working fine) always reads cable unplugged about two weeks ago, installed linsys wireless card from closet, no issues. SP1 would never allow me to authenticate and my software keys were taken by ex. So Microsoft Pirated another fee from me and I bought 7 Pro 64 four days ago and upgraded the old system initial plans to [strike]omit[/strike] some of the old equipment, but I have tried every combination of swap backs now:

Old System: 790XTA-UD4 Gigabyte MoBo,
HIS ATI 5850HD, Bought Second Identical Unit for Crossfire
[strike]RIPSKILL 7-7-7-21 4 x 2gb,[/strike] Geil Corsa Quad 16gb Kit
2 x 2tb WD 7,200 HDD,
[strike]1x 10,000 Raptor HDD[/strike] OCZ 120gb SSD
OCZ ModXtreme 850w PS
3.40 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 965
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

I have flashed the bios so many times I had to get a trench coat,

Win 7 64 Has been installed on each drive at least twice, with every combination of equipment or old equipment only, error logs are blank and forced logging shows random last rules that that are fine otherwise. The only thing different is Pro now and it verifies key, ran great when it claimed it was a bad registration. Im going to try some sleep hopefully somebody has a idea, there seems to be a couple hot fixes to try but you cant hot fix in safe mode and it won't run long enough without it.

xf1xcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

i know its way later but i just picked up a corsair 1200 wt 100 amp psu and installed it.note that this power supply came with an 8 pin eatx12 cable.the asus sabertooth mobo has a blocked off area on the 8 pin only showing 4 pins.i pulled off the block amd hooked up the 8 pin cable reinstalled my 2 gig radeon 6950 card and vuala runs like a champ .i just wonder how many asus sabertoorh owners are aware of this simple fix .call me dumb but i didnt see it till now. was it the psu or the 8 pin half covered that caused all my greif? well ive beem dealing with rhis 4 a year . hope it helps other d/as such as myself

The EATX12V connector on the motherboard only provides power to the CPU.

Most likely your old power supply unit had insufficient +12V rail capacity to properly power both the CPU and GPU(s) or if the power supply has more than a single +12V rail the load on the +12V rails wasn't properly distributed/balanced. On multiple +12V rail power supplies properly distributed +12V rails separate the CPU power from the graphics power.

Heavy

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Had the same problem. I ran repair for startup and downloaded Chrome. I changed my default browser to Chrome, and uninstalled ie 9 which had downloaded as an update. Run now for two months with no problem. I think the fault is with ie 9 as that is when I first started having problems.

teetime17

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I too have had this same problem for months now, but only on my Windows 7 64 bit Dell laptop. I have a Vista 64 bit and a Windows 7 32 bit that work fine. My question is: if it is IE 9 that is causing the problem, is there a way to disable it so I see if there is any difference?

By the way, here are the things I have already tried:

1. Full virus and malware scans.
2. Full hardware diagnostics (took a day to run).
3. All drivers are most current.
4. installed Microsoft's WinDbg for analyzing mini-dumps from crashes, and in System Properties set it to write an event in the system log if crash but the freezes don't create an entry or mini-dump.
5. Replaced my usb keyboard and mouse.

Any other suggestions?

Thx, Jerry

teetime17

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
My problem is fixed! First, I followed Microsoft's advice and turned off all non-MS services and startup programs, but the problem remained. Then, I decided to try Intel's Driver Manager which cost me $29. To my amazement it found that I had 34 drivers out of date including the chipset drivers. I updated the drivers 3 days ago and haven't had a freeze since. Before that it would typically freeze about once every hour or two.

Note that in my previous post I said my drivers were up to date. I sais that because I went into device manager and right clicked each device and had it check for updated drivers. A few received updates, but most "had the most current driver". It lies!

So for me, the Intel Driver Manager was money well spent. And, I learned I can live without many of the startup programs I turned off for testing and my PC is now back to being as responsive as it was when it was new.

Jerry

Janset

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

Hi there.

My PC has the GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 motherboard and is about 12 months old. When I got the PC built I had a different model number GIGABYTE motherboard, I think the last few numbers may have been B2).

About one month after taking delivery of the PC I was contacted by the PC builder who stated that he was replacing the MB on his own personal PC (same model as mine) as the one he/we had currently installed had a recognized fault, something to do with a version of the Intel processor and Sata 3 (I think) and he happened to have one extra MB on hand and suggested I should get mine replaced at the same time. Very nice of him I think.

Anyway, I got mine replaced also and all is well. I suggest that you either make inquiries with your PC builder or contact GIGABYTE via email and make inquiries there, maybe yours came in the defective batch. Mine is a i7 processor but the i5 may just have the same problem.

Another suggestion to try. Last week I experience a problem in that I was unable to do anything with my keyboard. Nothing registered. I swapped keyboards and problem solved.

Borrow a keyboard and do the test.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mazag

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hello,

I have same the same issue with 2 Toshiba Laptop. My first Toshiba Tecra A11 (6 months older) is installed with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. I'm a developper and I have no games or other software not needed for my work installed on my laptop.

I looking for few days but I have no time to waste for it.

I made an Acronis image of the Toshiba Tecra A11, Image I put on another Toshiba Satellite Pro C660. Before to finish to install all new Toshiba Drivers, this new computer crashed as the older. Since I installed all new driver (2 days), it crashed for 3 times.

My conclusion is a software issue. An OS issue. I looking for in vent Viewer and nothing to help me to understand what's happen.

My thought is I have no time to looking for and unfortunately I have to do with this issue. I'm worry about these OS, I remembered that my windows NT 3.51 was crashed but not Windows 2000. It a beautiful OS (W7) but it crashes and it take a lot of time each time it crashes (Lost files, lost time to reboot, etc.).

If someone (i.e. Microsoft support) have good news about this crash I'm interested.

Regards

Hard lockups occur when the memory subsystem goes to hell and a handbasket, and then some. This is *generally* a motherboard related problem [poor voltage regulation, shoddy northbridge, etc], though infurating to pin to a single component short of swaping them out one by one. Had a simmilar issue with my old 790i based motherboard, and overvolting the northbridge was the only thing that made it halfway stable...

My advice would be to run Prime95's blend test for a few hours [watch temps!]. I'd suspect it would run into an error, likely due to corruption in the memory subsystem. If memtest86 then validates the RAM is not failing, then its the motherboard at fault.

mrwhatever

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
You can always try the new UBUNTU OS its pretty darn solid and will run most all WIN Software now. And the great thing is its free! So if it doesn't work for you then no great loss. I've installed it on 3 dead I thought were dead machines and viola they live!!

Status
Not open for further replies.