Should factory installed Win XP Home install SP2?

I have a Compaq with Win XP Home Ed. installed from the factory. I have a
restore CD. Last year I installed SP2 and had multiple problems and had to
do a factory restore on my computer.

I have since been told that SP2 should not be installed on a computer such
as mine with the OEM version of Win XP. I have avoided reinstalling SP2 but
this month, I installed a patch Q819696 and have now I cannot use system
restore. I have tried 5 or 6 different dates. I get the message the system
could not be restored and no changes were made.

I tried to uninstall the patch, but I get a warning message that it will
affect nearly all my programs adversely if I do that.

I keep losing contact with my scanner and have been told by the manufacturer
that I should do a factory restore back to the original. I have had to do
this 4 times the past year and it is a real bear.

I have a touched on a lot of little problems and frustrations, but my main
question is twofold. Is it true that I should not install SP2, and would it
be worth my time and money to purchase a new cd of Microsoft pure Windows XP,
erase everything from my hard drive and install Win XP new? Also, is that
something a novice can do?
1 answer Last reply
More about should factory installed home install

    Q: "I have since been told that SP2 should not be installed on a computer such
    as mine with the OEM version of Win XP."

    A: Someone is giving you bad advice. SP2 is designed for all versions of XP
    and performs extremely well.

    Important Information From HP About Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.hp.com/pond/windowsxp/index.htm

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "SCSharon" wrote:

    | I have a Compaq with Win XP Home Ed. installed from the factory. I have a
    | restore CD. Last year I installed SP2 and had multiple problems and had to
    | do a factory restore on my computer.
    |
    | I have since been told that SP2 should not be installed on a computer such
    | as mine with the OEM version of Win XP. I have avoided reinstalling SP2 but
    | this month, I installed a patch Q819696 and have now I cannot use system
    | restore. I have tried 5 or 6 different dates. I get the message the system
    | could not be restored and no changes were made.
    |
    | I tried to uninstall the patch, but I get a warning message that it will
    | affect nearly all my programs adversely if I do that.
    |
    | I keep losing contact with my scanner and have been told by the manufacturer
    | that I should do a factory restore back to the original. I have had to do
    | this 4 times the past year and it is a real bear.
    |
    | I have a touched on a lot of little problems and frustrations, but my main
    | question is twofold. Is it true that I should not install SP2, and would it
    | be worth my time and money to purchase a new cd of Microsoft pure Windows XP,
    | erase everything from my hard drive and install Win XP new? Also, is that
    | something a novice can do?

Windows XP Factory Restore