Crysis running ridiculously low on high end system

lawilahd

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I recently started playing around with the Crysis mods in order to improve performance and graphics, and I used the CCC v 2.21 mod at level 6 (the highest setting possible). I'm more than a little annoyed when I figured that the game is running much slower than it should on my system.

My Specs:

i5 2500k OC'ed to 4.4 ghz
MSI twin frozr ii 6950 2gb OC'ed to 840mhz
8 gb kingston hyperx 1600 ram
MSI P67A C43 mobo

playing on CCC 2.21 mod level 6, 2xAA 1680X1050 resolution

I'm only getting around 25-30ish frames on the first level and I've read a lot of posts online of people reporting 40-60 fps with the same settings I'm using but much lower specs, and I'm sure my GPU and CPU should be able to run this game no matter what setting or mod/configuration I use. I know Crysis is still a very demanding game despite the fact that its about 5 years old, but its ridiculous that I can run BF3 Skyrim and Crysis 2 all on Ultra stably but this game stutters so much.

Can anyone help me figure out what the problem may be, I don't think its a bottleneck issue and I checked for latest AMD drivers from the official website and it said everything was up to date. I appreciate any help I can get.

lawilahd

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Well I changed my settings in the CCC mod to level 5 which is still more demanding than very high vanilla settings (from what I understand) and its actually running decently between 45-70 fps. I still don't understand how others with less powerful CPU's and GPU's than mine are able to run level 6 with smoother framerates however, if anyone has any idea please don't hesitate to inform me.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

Turn your in-game menu AA off......EdgeAA is specified in the CCC autoexec, and if you turn on the Crysis AA it overrides it. Since you're only running 2x it shouldn't really be killing your framerate that badly though.

Those are kind of numbers I get with CCC lvl6 (in the heavy veggied areas) with my antiquated old 5850, so I would definitely think you should be doing much better.

FWIW, I prefer the Maximum Quality V1.00 autoexec. I like the way it looks and it runs much better for me. If you want to try it out I can paste it up for you.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

Throw it up, I might give it a try with my 2 5870's.

lawilahd

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Turning off the in game AA still gives me around the same FPS so thats not the issue. BTW throw up that mod your talking about. So I guess this is just a really wierd problem or bad coding? I just expected it to run better on my computer than on lower hardware and like you said, you get the same numbers as me but with much older/lower specs.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Here's Maximum Quality autoexec for anyone who wants:

_____ ______ __ _ ______ _____ ______ Maximum Quality
| |_____/ \_/ |_____ | |_____
|_______| \___ | ________| __|__ ______| v 1.00
|
7 and vista
__________________________________________<AF&Filtering>_______________
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=8
r_UseEdgeAA=2
__________________________________________________<Misc.>______________
e_screenshot_file_format=jpg
e_screenshot_height=2880
e_screenshot_quality=100
e_screenshot_width=5376
r_displayinfo=0
r_MultiGPU=2
v_sync=0
______________________________________________<ObjectDetails>__________
e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy=4096
e_detail_materials_view_dist_z=256
e_lods=1
e_lod_ratio=10
e_terrain_occlusion_culling_max_dist=1000
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio=1.7
e_view_dist_ratio=80
e_view_dist_ratio_detail=60
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=50
sys_flash_curve_tess_error=1
________________________________________________<Particles>____________
e_particles_lod=1
e_particles_max_emitter_draw_screen=48
e_particles_thread=1
e_particles_quality=4
e_max_entity_lights=20
e_water_ocean_soft_particles=1
r_UseSoftParticles=1
_________________________________________________<Physics>_____________
e_cull_veg_activation=70
e_foliage_wind_activation_dist=30
e_phys_ocean_cell=0.2
es_MaxPhysDist=100
es_MaxPhysDistInvisible=25
p_max_MC_iters=7000
sys_physics_CPU=1
___________________________________________<PostProcessingEffects>_____
cl_hitblur=0
g_battleDust_enable=1
g_battleRange=100
r_ColorGrading=1
r_ColorGradingFilters=1
r_Coronas=1
r_DepthOfField=2
r_Flares=1
r_MotionBlur=1
r_sunshafts=1
r_UsePom=1
_____________________________________________<Shaders&Lighting>________
r_HDRBrightOffset=8
r_HDRlevel=0.75
r_HDRRendering=2
r_SSAO=1
r_SSAO_amount=0.4
r_SSAO_blur=4
r_SSAO_blurriness=1
r_SSAO_darkening=1.1
r_SSAO_quality=2
r_SSAO_radius=2
_________________________________________________<Shadows>_____________
e_shadows_cast_view_dist_ratio=0.8
e_shadows_from_terrain_in_all_lods=1
e_shadows_max_texture_size=1024
e_shadows_on_alpha_blended=0
r_ShadowBlur=3
r_ShadowJittering=1.5
r_TerrainAO_FadeDist=3
_________________________________________________<Textures>____________
r_DetailDistance=20
r_DynTexMaxSize=100
r_EnvCMResolution=2
r_EnvTexResolution=3
r_EnvTexUpdateInterval=0.025
r_TexAtlasSize=2048
r_TexResolution=0
r_TextureLodDistanceRatio=0
r_TextureLodMaxLod=0
r_TexturesFilteringQuality=0
r_ReflectionsQuality=3
r_VegetationSpritesTexRes=128
_____________________________________________<VolumetricEffects>_______
r_Beams=3
r_BeamsDistFactor=0.1
r_BeamsMaxSlices=250
_______________________________________________<WaterEffects>__________
e_recursion_view_dist_ratio=0.15
e_water_ocean_fft=1
q_ShaderWater=3
r_WaterCaustics=1
r_WaterReflections=1
r_WaterReflectionsMinVisiblePixelsUpdate=3
r_WaterReflectionsQuality=3
r_WaterRefractions=1
r_WaterUpdateDistance=-1
r_WaterUpdateFactor=0.01
________________________________________________<Mountains>____________
e_terrain_lod_ratio=1
e_terrain_normal_map=0
e_terrain_texture_lod_ratio=1
r_TexturesStreaming=0

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Also, since we're talking about autoexecs here, another one worth trying is Lavizh's CrySwitcher.

I can't run it worth a darn with my 5850, but it looks pretty (a few weird things here and there....like some blue sand and rocks(?) )

It's good if you like dramatic lighting....which I do (screw realism ;) ). Also seems to make the distance views look better than most of the custom configs I've tried.

Here's a screen with CrySwitcher's autoexec:

lavcrysis2.jpg

Another one with a long distance draw:

lavcrysis1.jpg

lawilahd

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Well a 570 is better than a single 6950 so it should run better than mine (unless you were referring to someone else's post). Anyone know of any mods I can try which are equivelent to the CCC v2.21 level 6 in terms of graphics, performance and demand?? I'm starting to think it may be a problem with my install of the mod or the install of the crysis game itself.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I'll host these in case anyone wants to give them a try. Hexit: my CCC lvl6 I believe has a few tweaks in it (I got it from the RealLoaded mod) but it should be very close.

CrySwitcher is the most demanding of the three....moreso than CCC.

(just right-click and save these, and don't forget to rename the file to just "autoexec" or it won't load)

Helder Pinto

CCC-lvl6

CrySwitcher

ah rite i get you... i thought it was an app going by what else i found...

thanx for the links... any 1 else wants em just right click on the link and save as, to your destination folder... rename then as autoexec.bat and run there icons as admin.

now i know what your doing im not suprised... make sure you turn fsaa off or you want get past 35fpf minimum even with x2 fsaa you will drop down to 20 on the beach after your second fire fight where you turn off the transmitter... i would say your settings are so high and the game is so badly optomized... you could try the LAA patch that was issued on the nexus forums and make sure the game is large address aware...(gonna try this 1 myself)

lawilahd

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Even when my AA is off from the game menu, I still get much lower than expected framerates. Ill try Cryswitcher and see if its better, even though apparently its more demanding.

lawilahd

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I got a question for those autoexecs, when I save them and rename to autoexec.bat the black window opens up that looks like the command prompt window and it goes through a bunch of really fast words but when I go in game to crysis all the settings are set to low. Are they supposed to be set to custom after running that autoexec?? I used the Crysis Switcher one btw

you nwwd to open the properties of the bat file icon and set it to run as admin... if your game is installed on the primary drive... if its not then you may not have to...
but no the game should accept the settings as is and work from the bat file...
ie, click autoexec.bat. the game should start... go into settings and they should be maxed out. if you picked the max settings...

in the bat file make sure your console is active or the bat file may not work properly...

if it doesnt work try adding this to the filespec in the properties of the game exe
you will see similar to this...
"c: programfiles/rockstar/gta4/gta.exe"
make it look like this
"c: programfiles/rockstar/gta4/gta.exe" +con_restricted=0

it may or maynot work but worth a try...

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

....Or you can just name the file autoexec.cfg and place it in the ../Crytek/Crysis/ folder. Probably the easiest method.

Start up your game like normal - to see if it loaded, just hit the tilde key (~) when you get to the Crysis menu and the console will open.....you'll see a bunch of the console commands on the screen because the program executed them.

Out of all these, I still recommend giving the one I pasted a try (Maximum Quality v.1.00). It runs better than any of these for me, and I really like the way it looks. Worth a try, anyway. I think CrySwitcher looks the best if you have a card that will run it (still trying to figure out how to get rid of some of the blue rocks and sand, though.)

lawilahd

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I did what you said with the Cryswitcher one and renamed the file to autoexec.cfg and placed in my crysis folder. It looks and runs the same as vanilla high so maybe I did something wrong. I saved the file, renamed it and placed it where you told me too. Nothing special pops up when I hit the tild key either so I think it didn't execute the cfg file. Anyway for the time being I'm sticking with the CCC level 5 as it is giving me between 50-90 fps but I do have one problem. No matter what I do, set r_vsync 1 ingame console, write it into system.cfg file or force vsync and triple buffering in my cards catalyst control center and I still get a lot of vertical tearing